30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, April 5, 2013

Following The Leader...


By now, I'm sure you've seen these Fairfield Collector's Cache Boxes busted either by Beckett's Chris Olds or our very own Spankee @ My Cardboard Mistress.  But just in case you haven't, here's a summary of what $14.99 will buy you:

1 Storage Case
500+ Baseball Cards
1 MLB Collector Patch
1 Game Used or Autographed Card
3 Factory Sealed Packs
1 One Touch Holder
and 100+ Topps Coins

Now I'm not the kind of guy who typically buys these repackaged products, but after seeing what Spankee pulled, I had to try my luck.


In certain boxes, Fairfield inserted 2003 Flair box toppers as their guaranteed game used or autographed card.  They're jumbo cards (approximately 5" x 7.75") and I have this strange infatuation with oversized cardboard.  Unfortunately, these boxes are not easy to track down in my area.  I went to five different Targets before I finally found a box with this special pack.

I'm pretty happy with what I pulled, but I'm going to be a tease and show off the other goodies I received first.

I don't have time to scan 500 cards, so I picked out my five favorites:



It's always nice to pull a new addition for my Tony Gwynn binder.  And I beat the odds and pulled an autographed Austin Kearns card #'d to 100.

They guarantee six decades worth of cards, which means you'll find a least one card from the 60's.


My box contained a 1967 Topps Rich Rollins.  There were also four cards from the 70's.  Bake McBride was the only guy I recognized.  Not exactly a vintage Mays or a Winfield rookie card, but there was still hope that I'd pull something cool out of the packs.  

But before I get to those, here's my manufactured MLB Collector's Patch:


And a sampling of the 1990 Topps coins they included:


I ended up getting 40 of the 60 coins in the set.  If anyone decides to bust one of these boxes, email me and maybe we can help each other out.

Here are the three packs included in the box, along with the three best cards pulled from the packs:



And finally, the number one reason, I picked up this $15 box.  Here's the hit from the 2003 Flair box topper pack:


It's not exactly the Chipper Jones patch that Spankee pulled, but it's still pretty cool.  It's my first Bagwell autographed card, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Hopefully, I'll come across more of these Fairfield Collector's Cache Boxes.  If I do, I'll definitely pick them up.  Worst case scenario, maybe I'll at least finish my 1990 Topps coin set.

Happy Friday and sayonara!


Extra Edition!

Since pulling the Bagwell, I've found three more of these Fairfield Collector's Cache Boxes with these Flair packs.  Here's what I pulled:


Overall... I'm happy with what I pulled.  I'm happy to add the Pedro and Jeter to my collection, so two out of three isn't too bad.

29 comments:

Josh D. said...

Hi Fuji -- I just picked one up at Target last week. Please give me/post your coins wantlist, and I'll give you any that I have that you need. The only remaining one I would want is Bo Jackson (#19), but I think that one is a little harder to find.

Only 1 of the 6 Collector's Cache boxes at my Target had the jumbo topper, so I grabbed that one. Got a large Giambi relic (with a pinstripe) #'d to 50.

I also got just one 1960s card (some guy from the Angels), and got the same Yankee Stadium All-Star Game patch that you did.

Is that Bagwell auto on-card or a sticker?

My wife and I had a fun time going through that box one evening. I should check out some more Targets to see if there are any more good ones available.

cynicalbuddha said...

You know for $15 buck these really are a great deal, especially if you pull an auto. Plus sorting through all that great junk wax is fun.

The Lost Collector said...

I need to get me one of these cool boxes.

The Dimwit said...

I am so jealous of that Bagwell!!!!!! Awesome pull!!!!!!!

Dawgbones said...

Nice Rollins, even if it's not the Jimmy variety!! These do look like fun but I'm trying to watch the budget this year...

Commishbob said...

Nice Bagwell pull.

Stealing Home said...

I'm no astros fan, but i gotta say, jeff bagwell is a great auto.

Jafronius said...

Interesting case of cards there. Did you get the same 3 packs in your other boxes?

Anonymous said...

really cool cards you got there for the $15! i've been wanting to pick one of them up, but my target doesn't have them, must be popular.

SpastikMooss said...

I haven't bought anything retail in a long time, but this may make me go out and grab something. This is an awesome pack and I love that Kearns you got too! As for Spanky's Chipper...wow. Definitely a great deal and looks like a lot of fun too!

AdamE said...

Any chance you would trade a giant game used Clemens for the giant game used Pedro?

Fuji said...

I have an extra Bo Jackson. I'll send you an email as soon as I'm done replying these these comments.

Here's a link to my 1990 Topps Coin Wantlist:
http://fujiapple.weebly.com/1990-topps-coins-wantlist.html

Bagwell signed a sticker (sort of like a shipping label), which is embedded into the card.

Fuji said...

If you can find the ones with the Flair packs, it's totally worth it (IMHO). I've bought four and haven't had a single regret.

Fuji said...

Thanks... my first Bagwell autograph.

Fuji said...

In one of the other cases, it was the exact same packs. But the other two boxes were a little different. Didn't pull anything significant from any of those packs though.

Fuji said...

Over the past two weeks, I've gone to eight different Targets around the Bay Area and have only found four boxes with these special packs. But even w/o the special packs, they're pretty entertaining to bust.

Fuji said...

I'd definitely recommend it. Best of luck if you decided to buy one.

Fuji said...

I'd do it if Clemens was featured as a Red Sox player... but I'm pretty sure he was a Yankee when these cards were around. Unfortunately, I will always picture Clemens in his Boston uniform.

AdamE said...

It is not from the same set. I'm not really sure what it is from. It is a Red Sox card but the swatch has to be from a yankee jersey because of the pinstripe. Take a look here.

http://thoughtsandsox.blogspot.com/2010/05/cards-from-reader-howard.html

jamicfin said...

Man, I really want to find one of those!
Seems to me like it's the best repack on the market by a long shot.

Fuji said...

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I usually don't buy Fairfield products, but these are pretty fun to pop and the Flair packs definitely give you some value.

Fuji said...

Oh I've seen these before. I think they came out of either a Walmart or Toys R Us repack, where they guarantee a jersey card. Thanks for the offer, but for now... I think I'll just hold onto the Pedro.

The Junior Junkie said...

That Bags is the best thing I've seen come out of one. I've bought two and they both suuuuuuucked.

Greg Zakwin said...

congrats on the sweeeeeeeet Bagwell!

Commishbob said...

I somehow missed noticing the Jim Abbott card earlier. I really admire the guy. He's one of my sons' favorite players ever. Always enjoy that rookie card of him.

Spankee said...

Great stuff, Fuji. I also pulled a Dunn in another box recently. That Bagwell is pretty sweet, as is the Jeter. It's not often you get 2 pinstripes on a swatch.

Yankeejetsfan said...

Loving that All Star Game Patch and Jeter GU Card. Congrats on the great pulls.

Fuji said...

One of these days, I'd really like to add an Abbott (Angels uniform) to my collection. That guy is truly amazing.

Fuji said...

I'll be giving away the patch in a future contest... but I'll be keeping the Jeter ;-)