30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Flea Market Finds #34: Three Trips in Four Days

Ahhh... Spring Break.  An opportunity for me to catch up on organizing my collection, relax, and possibly travel a little.

Unfortunately, I didn't accomplish any of these things last week during my week off.

Instead I stuck around the Bay Area, hung out with friends, went to a Giants' game, and walked around several flea markets.

Here's a recap of my purchases:


When:  Thursday, April 4th
Where:  Capitol Flea Market
What:  Non-Sports Collectibles
How Much?:  $8.50

Purchase #1:  G.I. Joe Comic Books  $4




I grew up watching G.I. Joe cartoons, so there was no way I could walk away from these #1 issues.


 Purchase #2:  Rolling Stone "Elvis Presley Tribute" 9/22/77  $1


Elvis Presley was a little before my time, but there's a reason he's called The King of Rock and Roll.  He's an American icon and for a dollar, I now own a piece of history.


Purchase #3:  Bruce Springsteen "Born in the U.S.A." Album  $.50


It's been awhile since I have added an LP to the collection, but it's hard to walk away from a 50¢ copy of Born In The U.S.A.


Purchase #4:  WWF Toys R Us Photo Promos  $3


I wouldn't necessarily call myself a wrestling fan these days.  But back in the late 80's and early 90's, one of my favorite things to watch was WWF's Saturday Night's Main Event.

This is a promotional set produced for Toys R' Us back in 1990.  The vendor had a small stack that included eight of these 8.5" x 11" photos: Legion of Doom (x3), Hulk Hogan (x2), and the Ultimate Warrior (x3).  He originally wanted a buck for each photo, but eventually accepted my $3 offer to take all of them off his hands.



When:  Saturday, April 6th
Where:  De Anza Flea Market
What:  Stamps, SLU's, and a Wax Box
How Much?:  $32


Purchase #1:  Two Kenner SLU's and a box of 1996 Topps Gilt Edge $15


A guy had a huge $5 table with hundreds of figures and other collectible knick-knacks.  I understand that Starting Line-Ups have lost their luster in the eyes of many collectors, but there was no way I was walking away from 1988 figures of James Worthy and Charles Barkley.


 Purchase #2:  Japanese Stamp Collection  $17



I'm not really a stamp collector, but I stumbled across this book full of Japanese stamps.  The main thing that caught my attention were several sheets that commemorates the 1964 Summer Olympics held in Tokyo.  I have no clue on their value, but regardless... they're pretty cool.  


When:  Sunday, April 7th
Where:  Capitol Flea Market
What:  Two Binders Full of Cardboard
How Much?:  $15

Purchase #1:  90's Marvel Skybox Collection and Magic The Gathering Collection  $15


Do you ever buy something... just to buy something?  Anytime I see binders with pages, I'll stop to take a peek.  Just as I was about to leave empty handed, I noticed these two binders on a guy's table.

Neither contained sports cards.  But the Skybox Marvel cards caught my attention.  The guy wanted $10/binder or $15/both.  At $7.50/binder, I couldn't pass it up.

I don't collect or play Magic The Gathering, but I figure these will be an easy flip the next time I set up at the flea market myself.

As for the Marvel binder... it contained partial series 1, 2, and 3 sets... along with a complete series 4 set.  There were also hundreds of doubles, so if by chance you have any singles for these sets, I'd love to trade for the ones I need.  Here's a link to my 1990 to 1993 Skybox Marvel Wantlist.

Well... that's about it.  Nothing exceptionally exciting... but at least these purchases didn't make too huge of a dent in my bank account either.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool, I have that "BOSS" album on vinyl

Spankee said...

Those GI Joe comics are awesome. GI Joe was second only to Legos in my childhood.

The Lost Collector said...

Wow, that brought back memories. I had a lot of GI Joe comics when I was younger.

Love the starting lineups. Think I mentioned it before, but my 15 month old son LOVES playing with my old starting lineups. In fact, his only three syllable word/phrase is "baseball guy" (aka bay-ball-gee).

Chris P said...

Man those SLU's are awesome!! For 5 bucks!!! I wish I had a flea market who sold SLU's that cheap

Zayden said...

I love the wrestling photos! I never played MTG but I used to love looking through the cards and their artwork. If I ever come across some, I think I'm going to scoop them up too!

Greg Zakwin said...

nice variety!

Anonymous said...

I also grew up watching G.I. Joe, though I've never read any of the comics. How are these, Fuji?

You nabbed a bit of everything, congrats!

Scott Crawford said...

Long shot here, Fuji, but did you end up with doubles of the Marvel Series 1 Wolverine or Magneto holograms? Last 2 cards I need from the set. Unfortunately, sold my doubles years ago (Had a brick of like 400 of them), but we can probably work something out if you do have 'em. Let me know!

Jafronius said...

I may be ignorant on vinyl pricing, but 2 quarters for Born in the USA? What does that sound real cheap to me? Also, good buy on the SLU, and I'm hoping you bust open a pack or two of that Gilt Edge because I have no idea what that is.