30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, July 6, 2018

League of Legends

According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of a legend is a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well.

When I started my blog back in 2010, it was blogs like Night Owl Cards, 30 Year Old  Cardboard, Stale Gum, Sports Card Uncensored, Cardboard Junkie, The Baseball Card Blog, and Wax Heaven that were my inspiration.

All of these guys are card blogging legends that have paved the way for hundreds of other awesome card blogs.  I remember thinking it was so cool seeing my blog's name on some of their blogrolls.

This might sound a little sad... or "needy", but... at the time it gave me a sense of "accomplishment".

Anyways... seeing my name on their blogrolls is one thing.  However receiving a care package from one of them was like seeing my favorite player tip their hat after making eye contact with me.  It totally made my day.

Last week, Mario Alejandro who runs Wax Heaven reached out to me and told me he had a package of cards with my name on it.

A few days later this 2017 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions box arrived in my mailbox:


Year in and year out, this product never seems to disappoint.  Yesterday I kicked off my three day weekend by coming home and tearing into this box.  I'll share the results either tomorrow or Sunday.

In the meantime... thank you so much Mario!  I'm not only talking about this overly generous box of cards.  Wax Heaven helped fill in the missing pieces when I returned to the hobby back in 2007.  Your product reviews, hobby news, and entertaining posts were truly invaluable.

It's great to see that you're back on the keyboard and I look forward to reading and commenting on future posts.  I know that you don't expect anything in return... but you can expect to see a stack of Canseco's in your mailbox in the near future.


As for the rest of my readers and fellow bloggers...

Who are some of your blogging inspirations?

Happy Friday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Jon said...

I've said it a hundred times before (I even just mentioned it again in this morning's post), but you were my sole inspiration :)

Only having just recently started following him on Twitter, I had no idea that Mario had been around for so long. Can't wait to see what you get!

The Lost Collector said...

Napkin Doon.

You’ve been around since I started and certainly consider you one of the best out there.

P-town Tom said...

Cardboard Junkie was my inspiration. I really miss dayf's humor.

Hackenbush said...

Not sucking up but your posts have a relatable quality that I enjoy. Easy to piggyback on them.

night owl said...

The Baseball Card Blog was an obsession for 4 months in a row in 2008. Lot of people forget how different that blog was at the time. Then I found Cardboard Junkie. A month later NOC was born.

SumoMenkoMan said...

This blog easily has to be one of the best. Great content, writing style, and love for the hobby. Always fun to read.

Everyone, Fuji’s collector interview posts Monday! Keep an eye out for it!

Chris said...

Night Owl is a legend for sure. He writes interesting and insightful posts virtually every day. I just wish I had time to read them all!

Matt/Bob Walk The Plank was an inspiration for sure. Without him I don't think I'd be blogging (about baseball cards, anyway)

And..I know you didn't write this post so we'd all say "you're a blogging legend, Fuji!" but I'm saying it anyhow ;)

The Snorting Bull said...

I made a few trades with DodgerBobble, no longer on blogger, but very active on Instagram. He convinced me to try making a few blog posts about my cards.

Adam Kaningher said...

Dime Box Nick and Night Owl are my two biggest inspirations.

Fuji said...

jon - your comment is humbling. keep up the great blog. as for mario... it was a pleasant surprise to see his return to our hobby and blogosphere.


the lost collector - nice call. i miss his blog.

p-town tom - i just added cardboard junkie back to my blogroll. he posted something on his blog in march. if we're lucky maybe he'll come back full time

hackenbush - bro. i'm borrowing ideas from just about every blog i subscribe to. it's one of the reasons i'm a huge fan of blog-bat-arounds. #mutualrespect

night owl - embarrassed that i left the baseball card blog off this post. it's been revised.

sumomenkoman - appreciate the kind words. you're one of the most generous collectors i know... and your knowledge of sumo wrestling is insane. keep up the great blog.

chris - night owl definitely is the blogfather and sets the standard. as for matt, i'm truly gonna miss his posts. i don't drink beer, but i'm even craving one of his beer posts right now.

snorting bull - good to see dodgerbobble's name pop up in these comments. miss his blog.

adam kaningher - huge fan of nick's blog. he started after me, but he's definitely been a big inspiration. as for night owl... well... he's definitely a legend