30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, January 30, 2021

TWiB: Underrated Junk Wax, Sunsets and Criminals, Two-Sport Athletes, and a Love Child

Time continues to mess with my mind.  On one hand this school year seems to be taking forever.  On the other hand... we are already into the 5th Saturday of 2021 which means another This Week in Blogging post.

#1An Underrated Set

1991 Score #317

A couple weeks ago, I started writing a post where I ranked the 1991 flagship baseball card designs and Score was near the bottom of the list.  After reading Night Owl's post which showcased his favorite 1991 Score card from every team... my rankings haven't changed.  But I do have a higher level of appreciation than before.

His post opened my eyes to the vast variety of action shots featured in the set... which is something I value in a trading card.  


#2A Treasured Traded Set

One more Night Owl Cards post... then I promise to feature other blogs.  I realize that if you're reading this post, then you've probably already read Greg's posts... but I'm documenting card blogs and he happens to write posts that capture my attention.  So blame him, not me.

1987 Topps Traded #70T

Last weekend, Night Owl Cards wrote about his 1987 Topps Traded set build.  I'm always excited to read a blog post featuring Topps Traded sets from the 80's, because from the mid 80's on... I made sure to track them down for my collection.  I'm pretty sure the 1985 boxed set was the first I ever purchased, but the 1986 was the first I treasured.

1986 Topps Traded #11T
1986 Topps Traded #20T

It's one of the most star stacked Topps Traded sets of all-time.  Just look at the list of young stars included:  Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla, Jose Canseco, Will Clark, Andres Galarraga, Bo Jackson, Wally Joyner, John Kruk, Kevin Mitchell, and tons of other guys who had solid MLB careers.  Plus don't forget the stars and hall of famers that make up the "traded" players: Don Baylor, Ken Griffey, Phil Niekro, Lou Piniella, Darrell Porter, Tom Seaver, Ted Simmons, Chuck Tanner, and Dick Williams.

I'm not sure when these sets started selling in the $25 to $40 range, but I could have sworn dealers were selling these sets for $5 to $10 just a year or two ago.


#3Sunsets and Criminals

On Saturday, Chris showed off some Larry Bird and Lawrence Taylor cards on his blog: The 1993.  He also asked his readers if they collect "sunset" cards and whether or not they avoid collecting athletes who have committed crimes or other objectionable acts.

2002 Topps #99

Although I don't actively chase "sunset" cards, I do enjoy having them in my collection.  There is just something cool about a card company producing a final card with full career statistics for an athlete after they've retired.

As for guys who have committed crimes...

1985 Topps #620
1994 Ted Williams Roger Staubach's NFL Football #S32
1989 Donruss #542

Athletes have never been my heroes... so I have no problem separating the accomplishments they've made on the field from the crimes they've committed off of them.  And ultimately... I collect trading cards that represent history... and that includes the good and the bad.


#4A Star is Born

Wrigley Field Roster Jenga returned to his keyboard about a month ago and last weekend he wrote a really cool post about the night his son was born.  I think it's something the little guy will be happy to read one day when he's old enough.

2003 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites Autographs #FFA-JRU

Blogs weren't around back when I was born, but I have tried to document some of the things that happened in the sports world the day I was born.  Most notably the 1972 Olympics were in full swing... and the Oakland A's beat the Detroit Tigers behind a three run homer by Joe Rudi.


#5Cry for Help

Two days ago, Hackenbush showed off his Alan Alda silk cachet over on his blog: Can't Have Too Many Cards.  I know I've seen these pop up on a few blogs in the past.  My question is... what's the story behind them?  Were they originally sold at the post office?


I've picked up a few over the years.  The first one highlights Ichiro and the 2001 All-Star Game.  I picked this up off of my buddy at a flea market for a buckWere these sold at the game?

The next two were a little more expensive:



I bought them from a different friend at a card show back in 2015.  Each features a Ron Ferdinand signature and sketches of Dennis the Menace, but who knows if they're authentic or not.

If any of you have any information on silk cachets... feel free to leave it down below in the comments.


#6A New #1

2021 Topps #1

On Thursday Topps announced that Fernando Tatis Jr. would be honored with being card #1 in the 2021 Topps flagship set.  Personally... I heard about it over on John Sharp's blog: John's Big League Baseball Blog.

2020 Topps Fire #169
2020 Bowman #11

The jury is still out on this particular design.  It's definitely not going to be a favorite of mine, but I'm not ready to lump it in with the 1988, 1998, or 1999 flagship designs either.  Personally... I think this year's design looks like the love child of 2020 Topps Fire and 2020 Bowman.


#7Two-Sport Athletes

When I was in middle school, I really started getting into watching the WWF.  Most of my friends were too.  Guys like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and the Iron Shiek were a new source of entertainment for this teenager and I enjoyed watching it whenever I had the opportunity.

On Monday, my buddy Ryan showed off a pair of 70's sumo wrestling cards featuring WWF star King Haku over on his blog: Japanese Sumo Wrestling Cards and Menko.  It's cool because it features an athlete famous for one sport being featured on trading cards of another sport.  This isn't exactly a new theme in trading cards.  I've written about Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Danny Ainge before on this blog.

1963 Topps #54

But today... I wanted to show off my latest two sport athlete purchase.  This is a rookie card of Dave DeBusschere.  The same year he was drafted by the Detroit Pistons, he also signed a contract with the Chicago White Sox.


Although he is more famous for being a basketball hall of famer, he did pitch a complete game shutout versus the Cleveland Indians on August 13th, 1963.  I picked this card up two weeks ago for $9.41 ($4.49 bid + $4.50 shipping & $.42 tax).


#8Basketball Bonanza

By the way... if you like vintage basketball cards... then head over to Can't Have Too Many Cards again.  Hackenbush showed off some really nice 70's basketball cards on Monday including a Dr. J. rookie card.
1971-72 Topps #70

Unfortunately... most of my basketball cards are from the 80's, 90's, and 2000's.  But I have about 100 different cards sitting in my vintage basketball binder including this Chamberlain.


I like how the cartoon on the back references his 100 point game versus the New York Knicks back on March 2, 1962.


#9Wrapping Things Up

It looks like Chris is starting to wrap up his All-Time Hockey Teams series.  Last weekend, he showed of his all-time Pittsburgh Penguins team which featured a lot of guys I remember playing with on those early 90's NHL games on the Sega Genesis.

1990-91 OPC Premier # 50

One of those guys was Jaromir Jagr who went on to have a stellar career Chris's post inspired me to see how much his 1990-91 OPC  Premier rookie card was selling for.  I was blown away that raw copies are selling in the $30 to $40 range... while PSA 10 copies are fetching over $600.

Back in August of 2018, I picked up my copy for $75 (+ $5 shipping).  At the time, I was second guessing the best offer price I sent to the seller... but now I'm sure glad he accepted.

Chris also showed off his all-time San Jose Sharks team which featured these six guys:



Thanks Chris for taking the time to write this series.  It brought back a lot of good memories... and more importantly opened my eyes to current players and guys who played before the 90's.

Well that wraps up another This Week in Blogging.  Here are some conversation starters for you...

What's your favorite 1991 flagship baseball card design?

What is a Junk Wax Era set you think deserves more hobby love?

What's your favorite "sunset" card?

Is there room for a criminal in your collection?

What's the story behind silk cachets?

What's your favorite card #1 from a Topps flagship baseball set?

Do you collect vintage basketball cards?

Have you noticed any specific cards that are selling for outrageous prices lately?

That should get the conversations flowing... however even if you don't like these questions... feel free to leave any thoughts down below and I look forward to responding to them.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

20 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

1) 1991 Fleer, 2) plenty deserve more credit, 3) no fav sunset, 4) have plenty, 5) no idea on the silk, 6) don't have a fav #1 ....yet (it's one of those up coming themes, 7) no BKB, 8) don't pay attention to the high priced cards/

night owl said...

Junk Wax Era set that deserves more hobby love is '88 Topps. Hell, even Topps ignores that design. And it's a tremendous look. I throw up my hands at anyone who calls it "boring".

Favorite '91 design is probably from Topps. Not a great year for designs.

As for criminals on cards, if they're in a set I'm completing, they're in the collection. But certainly not going out of my way to add one to the collection.

The Snorting Bull said...

Let me see if I can answer all these questions:
1. Studio
2. A lot of them. They are only frowned upon because they don't have much monetary value
3. The greatest sunset card is the 1998 Upper Deck Fernando Valenzuela on the Cardinals
4. Big fan of Gates Brown
5. No idea
6. Not sure I have a favorite card #1
7. Yes. I own a whole bunch of St. Louis Hawks cards.
8. It seems like all of them.

Elliptical Man said...

1. Ha. Score gets consideration. Might have to go with Upper Deck though.
2. Donruss in general.
3. No idea.
4. Yes to an extent. Sometimes I ignore it, like with O.J. Other times it makes me more eager to send the cards elsewhere - Lewis, Taylor, Vick, etc.
5. I know nothing about them other than what what I just read here.
6. No idea.
7. I try to. Not a lot of opportunities.
8. Not really. But I haven't been paying attention. I know the pricier Jordans got a bump when the documentary came out. And Kobe cards sky-rocketed when he died. So maybe Hank Aaron cards got more expensive when he died. But I'm just guessing. The mini helmets for the Redskins were a hot item when they changed their name.

Brett Alan said...

I'm pretty sure the silk cachet envelopes in the hobby were NOT sold at the Post Office, just by private dealers. I specifically remember an article about one issue in Baseball Hobby News. Basically someone threw a no-hitter, and the dealer/creator scrambled to gather enough stamps and envelopes in time to get them all hand-stamped at a Post Office that day, so the cancellation would be the day and city where the no-hitter happened. They would add the graphics later, but they wanted the stamp to be that day. Of course, other issues could be planned for, like the date and city of the All-Star Game, or Cooperstown the day of Hall of Fame inductions. They would also do it for the first day of issue of a baseball-related stamp. I think that's actually where it started, not necessarily in baseball, but the Post Office would do a special cancellation for the first day of a new stamp issue in a particular place, and then someone would add the silk graphics as a collectible.

At any rate, there were always some ads for those things in Baseball Hobby News, but I never bought any.

It's always a little jarring to think about an OJ Simpson card or something, but I do collect them. I actually came across an old OJ poster insert I got when I was a kid, which is probably a valuable item, although I really don't collect football anymore. I suppose I should look to trade it at some point.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Nice round up of the week. I've been collecting sunset cards (or, at least, the last Topps base set card) of all the MLB players in the HOF. It's a great project for me and it's far more economical than going after rookies. Ryne Sandberg might be my favorite as he's one of my favorite all time players.

As for junk wax junk, I think the weirdness of 1986 Topps makes it really underappreciated. The Traded set as you point out is loaded, but the base set its self is really nice.

Since I collect Darryl Strawberry, I'd say yes there is room for a criminal. Kruk is, naturally, a smooth criminal.

RunForeKelloggs said...

When we chased old cards in the 1970s everyone wanted to get card #1 from 1962 since it featured Roger Maris and the stats that showed his new homer mark.

shoeboxlegends said...

Nice Jagr Fuji! Yep, that card, Topps Traded baseball sets, and just about everything else under the sun, is all rising in price like you wouldn't believe. Insanity.

sg488 said...

1.91 Fleer ( I enjoyed the banana set )2.1993 Donruss 3.1981 Fleer Willie McCovey 4.Well since I am a set collector first, I kinda have to get the criminals to complete my sets.(got O.J. rookie in my wall mount lol).5.I have no idea.6.Ever since pulling the card from a pack in 1974,it has always been Hank Aaron.7.Well not sure what years are "vintage" but I got Bskt sets going back to 1969.8.No.

Bo said...

First I'm seeing of the new design. Looks very Donruss. This week I found Yankee highlights from the day I was born. (They beat the Red Sox.) It gave me goosebumps watching video from the day I was born.

hiflew said...

1. 1991 Score - My favorite set to collect that year. Topps is good too.
2. 1986 Topps - It doesn't have the "rookie mojo" but it is one of the best looking base sets of all time.
3. 1994 Topps George Brett although the 2014 Topps Todd Helton and 2015 Topps Paul Konerko are close behind.
4. I don't care about the personal lives of any athlete or actor. In my opinion, it is the job of the police to deal with criminals, not the sports fan.
5. Never heard of them until right now.
6. Since there are no Rockies at #1, I'll say 1974 Hank Aaron with 1986 Pete Rose as the runner up.
7. I have some, but it is not something I actively seek out. My current basketball buys is mainly Panini era (2012-current).
8. Any hot rookie or unopened product. The pandemic fueled rise in card prices has been fascinating.

Matt said...

i will sum up one of those, all of the cards are selling for outrageous prices right now

gcrl said...

So many questions! I love it.
1. Topps easily.
2. I've stumbled upon a couple of nice looking cards from 1988 donruss recently. Is it possible that there is some redeeming value for that set?
3. I only collect final tributes like the gwynn with complete stats on the back, and the 73 topps clemente is my favorite. 88 score garvey and 69 topps mantle are great ones, too, and rank right behind the clemente for me.
4. My collection includes criminals in sets like greg mentioned along with lots of various other players considered to be unsavory for one reason or another. I have a few ty cobb cards that I picked up for my collection knowing what kind of guy he was so to each their own when it comes to collecting.
5. I think brett alan nailed it. USPS does issue first day covers for new stamps the day they are issued (I have one from the babe Ruth stamp) cut colorano creates the silk ones as collectibles for specific events and not new stamp releases.
6. It took me awhile to accept that card #1 didn't have to be a record breaker or league leader card, although I still hold 1978 card #1 lou brock record breaker as my favorite. 1994 mike piazza might have replaced it had topps not used essentially the same photo that they had used for his 1993 traded card.
7. I do not although I do wish I still had the contents of a pack I bought in 1978. It had kareem, Walton, and Dawkins in it.
8. Just vintage in general. I'm glad I finished my 1965 set but worry about the prospects of finishing the 57 set now.

See you next time on this week in blogging!

GTT said...

I really like that envelope with Krazy Kat! It's one of my favorite comic strips, but it's not very well known. The panel with "I are illone." actually comes from one of my favorite KK comic strips. I first learned about Krazy Kat because Bill Watterson lists it as one of the three comic strips that influenced him most.

CinciCuse Bill said...

Just know that I’m grateful for TWIB.

Nick Vossbrink said...


1. Favorite 1991 design: Topps (followed closely by Upper Deck). But Score's checklist is beyond beyond compare.

2. 1988 Score walked so 1989 Upper Deck could run. I will always stan 88 Score for being the gamechanger it was.

3. I don't really pay attention to sunset cards so I have to go with the 1973 Clemente here.

4. Really depends on the crime. Hank Thompson? Fine. Mel Hall? No fucking way.

5. intentionally left blank

6. Despite being from the Record Breaker generation, my favorite #1s are the World Series Champion team cards.

7. No vintage basketball here although I'm tempted to break that rule for Stanford Alumni, I've started grabbing vintage football (50s and 60s) along these lines but so far most of the basketball alumni are way more than I want to spend.

8. Specific cards? No. Cards in general? Yes across the board.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - glad i'm not the only one who enjoys 1991 fleer. although, i have it behind topps and upper deck

night owl - i know you're not alone on 1988 topps... because the last time i stated i wasn't a fan, people let me hear it in the comments.

the snorting bull - had to look up that fernando. kudos to upper deck for being the only company to produce a sunset card for him

elliptical man - i wonder if washington redskins stockings shot up in value. i have a bag of them sitting in a cabinet in my classroom.

brett alan - thank you for that information. the though of having them stamp it before adding the graphics never even occurred to me. that's ingenious.

peter k steinberg - i wasn't a big fan of 1986 topps for decades, but i have grown to appreciate it in recent years. i actually think they look really nice signed.

runforekelloggs - that's really cool that topps gave him the #1 spot in 1962. looks like it's a little too pricey for me, but maybe i'll stumble across a cheap copy at some point

shoeboxlegends - i have a few other jagrs that have jumped in value too... but they don't even come close to that opc premier. i just didn't realize that the craze had hit hockey too (outside of guys like gretzky, lemieux, roy, messier, and yzerman).

sg488 - that's amazing that you pulled the 1974 topps #1 aaron. i love that card. i think it's probably my favorite #1 as well. and basketball sets going back to 1969? that's flippin' awesome

bo - that's pretty cool. it's a good thing you're not a red sox fan

hiflew - glad to see you're back. all three of those sunsets are fantastic. yeah... it's been entertaining to see the hobby boom (again)

matt - hmmm... talking about jagr graded rookies?

gcrl - another good call with the 73t clemente. 88d? uhh... not ready to jump on that bandwagon yet. but that david cone is pretty cool.

gtt - i never even heard of krazy kat. i'll have to search the internet for more since i no longer receive the mercury news

cincicuse bill - just know i'm grateful for your comments

nick vossbrink - topps and upper deck are my top 2 as well... but i think i have upper deck beating out topps. then again if you factor in photography... i think topps wins. and then there's stadium club. it's such a slippery slope. as for world series champion team cards being card #1... i hope the next time the a's or padres win the world series... topps decides to reinstate that trend.

Chris said...

Whoa, that Jagr card is selling for $600+? I'm glad I picked up a PSA 10 copy on 4 Sharp Corners when he was a Devil. I watched the Topps card #1 announcement on MLB Network. Had a feeling it would be Tatis but I can't give myself too much credit - I'd forgotten he was a shortstop lol.

Adam Kaningher said...

I bought so much 1991 Score at Toys R Us when I was a kid. Great set and someday I'll read it all.

Fuji said...

chris - yeah. insane, right? if you picked up any of his other rookie cards they've jumped up quite a lot too.

adam kaningher - i think i was focused on topps and upper deck back in 1991. i don't remember opening up to much of score, but i'm guessing i opened at least a few packs.