30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, February 6, 2021

TWiB: 70's Baseball, Red Refractors, and a 2020 BBA

February Break is just around the corner.  By next week at this time... I'll be kicking off a one week vacation and the timing couldn't be more perfect.

Yesterday my friend found out that her dog has cancer.  I'm not sure what your feelings are about pets... but around here she's definitely part of the family.  We're still waiting on the full diagnosis and it's one of those things that is weighing heavily on all of our minds.  

I'm fortunate to have this hobby and blog as an outlet, so let's take a look at This Week in Blogging...


#1The Golden Gate Bridge

2009 UD A Piece of History #174

Let's get things rolling with one of the most famous bridges in the world and a sight that usually takes me to my happy place


On Thursday Hackenbush showed off a very cool postcard dating back to the early 1900's that depicted the Golden Gate before the world famous bridge was built.  If you're into history or postcards, head over to his blog and check it out:  Can't Have Too Many Cards.


#2The Sensational Seventies

1976 Topps #564

Another thing that normally brings a smile to my face are 70's baseball cards.  Last Saturday gcrl over at cards as i see them showed his 70's sampler set where he chose one card to represent each year from the decade.  I really like his idea and plan on building one myself... but for now I'll just share a contender for the 1976 slot.


#3Seeing Red

The Cincinnati Reds owned the 70's.  They went to the playoffs six times, the World Series four times, and walked away as champions twice.

1968 Atlantic Oil Play Ball Contest #3

On Monday, Bill over at Bill's Baseball Card Blog wrote about the Big Red Machine and the jersey numbers the Reds have retired.  He asked his readers who would be next.  Chris over at The 1993 mentioned Vada Pinson.  Can't argue with his pick.

2008 Topps Chrome Refractor #196

Joey Votto was the first guy that popped into my head.  Whether or not he'll end up getting the call from Cooperstown, he's truly one of the most entertaining players in the game.


#4Seeing More Red

Collecting Cutch is king when it comes to bloggers collecting Andrew McCutchen.  He also does a great job of spreading awareness for breast cancer each year with his popular "pink" posts and contestYesterday he informed his readers that the first Friday in February is Wear Red and Give Day.  It's a day to raise awareness for women's heart health.

2008 Bowman Chrome Prospects Red Refractor #BCP282 (#'d 2/5)

He showed off some red parallels of Cutch.  I don't have any myself... but his post reminded me of this red refractor I pulled from a pack a few years ago.


#5Blast from the Past

Last year one of the more popular BBA's involved people listing things they didn't like that others did.  Some bloggers even flipped the script and wrote about things they liked that other didn't.  I had a lot of fun putting together my own lists and of course reading all of yours.

Last week Jay over at Card Hemorrhage revisited the idea by listing items he liked and things he doesn't like within the hobby.  It was nice to see the similarities and differences between a fellow Bay Area collector and blogger.

I'm gonna go ahead and close out this post.  I realize it's shorter than usual, but my mind is on other things right now.  Before I do, I want to acknowledge a few other posts I read this week that I originally planned on highlighting in more detail:



1989 Topps #183

A closer look at the 1989 Topps football set by Gregory at Nine Pockets.



1991 Fleer Pro-Vision #4

A closer look at the Fleer Pro-Vision cards by Daniel at It's like having my very own Card Shop.



1963 Post #12

The Commish over at The Five Tool Collector talks about his vintage set builds and how he's willing to wait to finish them if he has to.



2000 Fleer Tradition Autographics #NNO

Trevor P over at Bump and Run Football Card Blog shows off nine of the best players in the history of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers two days before they try to win their second Lombardi Trophy.



Elliptical Man is running a contest on his blog for regulars and past trade partners, but you better hurry up.  Time is running out.

Now for a few questions for you to ponder...

When you think of 70's baseball cards, what is the first card that pops into your head?

Do you think when Votto hangs up his cleats, he will have done enough to get inducted in the National Baseball Hall of Fame?

Are there any set builds you've had to put on hold for now due to rising prices from the recent hobby boom?

Who's going to win the Super Bowl?

Well that wraps up another week of This Week in BloggingThank you for taking the time to read and comment on this post.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

22 comments:

hiflew said...

1) Tough to narrow it down to just one, but I'll go with the 1978 Eddie Murray. I was an 80s collector and 70s cards were the equivalent of T206 cards in terms of availability in my area. The 78 Murray was always the photo with the 78s in the price guide that I remembered seeing.

2) Depends on how much longer he plays. Right now, probably not. 2-3 more years of decent production, then he probably gets in. Honestly, I will be very upset if he gets in before Todd Helton.

3) Not really. In fact it has been the opposite. I have switched to set builds because unopened wax has just gotten outrageously high. But raw vintage prices are not really that bad except for the really big names.

4) Do not care because I have not watched one second of football this year.

I am also very angry at myself for not seeing the tube socks in 1989 football before now.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I haven’t put any sets on hold, but I have had to scale back on unopened boxes. Prices getting insane right now. Thinking the Bucs are going to win! Go Brady!

John Sharp said...

My 1971 Topps Bill Freehan card.

Not yet on Votto to the HOF, unless it's the one in Cincinnati.

I'm not a set builder, per se, unless it's an insert set.

I'm always about Tom Brady, Go BLUE!

Great Job, as always. 👍

Kirk said...

1973 Topps Thurman Munson. a great catchers card.

Elliptical Man said...

1974 Topps Mike Schmidt

No. A 1B who never finished in the top 2 in his league in HR. Top 5 only once.

I don't build sets.

Andy Reid's Chiefs.

bbcardz said...

You pose some great questions!

1972 Topps Steve Garvey (Just curious, how do Garvey's stats measure up to Votto's?)

I've never really paid much attention to Votto.

These rising prices are really hitting me where it hurts. I'm having doubts that I'll purchase any 2021 product.

I don't care much who wins the Super Bowl now that my Rams are out of it. But I think Brady is extra motivated to show his old team that he still has what it takes to win a championship.

sg488 said...

1. 73 Johnny Bench 2.Sure,since they let in Simmons and Baines why not?3.2020-2021 Hoops Basketball usually the boxes first come out at around $80,they are coming out this year at $400 a box. What the heck?4.Chiefs.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

1) 1968 Ryan 2) Not sure on Votto, but he is a PC guy 3) no set builds on hold 4) Buc's

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Okay, that way a boo boo on #1. Lets go with the Yount RC

gcrl said...

Thanks for featuring one of my posts again!
I think votto has a strong case with one more solid season. He's been on base over 3000 times and has an obp of over .410. An mvp and two other top 3 finishes. One more good season gets him over 2000 hits, 300 hrs, and 1000 rbi which makes an arguable case in my opinion.
I didn't use the card in my sampler, but the 78 topps garvey is the card i picture first when I think of 70s.

Nick said...

1. '77 Topps Fidrych.

2. I sure hope so. He'll probably go down as one of the most underrated players of this generation, and if you look at the numbers, I think he's an obvious HOFer.

3. Nope, not a set builder.

4. The Super Bowl's this weekend?

The Lost Collector said...

1. Mine is probably 1971 Topps Thurman Munson.
2. I think Votto will get in, and it'll actually be pretty quick and he won't need the stat heads to make the case for him.
3. Not at all. I rarely collect sets.
4. Chiefs.

CinciCuse Bill said...

My best to your friend and her dog
70’s cards: 70 Topps Pete Rose
Votto? I hope so, but IMO he’s a fringe pick.
I don’t collect sets.
KC
Peace !

Nick Vossbrink said...

Gotta go with the 1978 Greg Minton. I'd be shocked of Votto doesn't make it in TBH. And I'm a slow se builder who's already put the spendy stuff on hold as it is so this year hasn't changed anything.

The Diamond King said...

1. 71 Munson, love that classic.
2. I am conflicted on this one. I love Votto, and think he is very underappreciated. On the other hand, I am a small hall guy, and his counting stats are not growing quickly enough. I guess I am in the wait and see camp.
3. Not a big set guy, especially new sets.
4. I have a hard time seeing KC not win. But strangely, I am rooting For TB.

Daniel Wilson said...

1. Lots of great cards from the 1970's , but I would have to say the 1971 Muson.
2. I don't like Votto and that is going to cloud my judgement. but I think he would have to play another 10 years to put up the career numbers that would be needed to make it into the HOF and I don't see that happening.
3. None that I am stopping completely, but I don't see myself finishing the 1986-76 Fleer basketball set any time soon.
4. I think the Chiefs are going to win, but I have a good friend who is a huge Bucs fan and so I hope they win for him.

gregory said...

(1) The 1975 Robin Yount and George Brett rookie cards are the first ones I think of, mainly because that '75 set is just so bright and colorful and burned into my rods and cones.
(2) I haven't followed modern baseball enough to make a good judgment on Mr. Votto, but he seems to be at least "Hall of Very Good" material.
(3) I've been working on the 1981-82 OPC hockey set, but with its pricey rookies (Kurri, Stastny, Coffey, Glenn Anderson, etc.) and numerous Gretzky cards in the set, I might very well put it on the back burner.
(4) No idea. I haven't watched football in years. Chiefs, I guess?

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Well the first card that popped was Hank's #1 card in 1975. Then as I thought more I did think there's the Brett card - not a better photo but more iconic - there are too many to pick a favorite, so good framing of the question.

Nothing's on hold for collecting but prices have prevented me from at least completing one subset.

Who's going to win the Super Bowl? Everyone - the drama will make it interesting. Without this matchup, I likely would've skipped it since the Seahawks are out of it.

Chris said...

I could be off here, but I'm thinking Votto will fall short. He's short of 2,000 hits and he's kind of running out of steam. If he didn't play a traditionally power-heavy position I'd lean toward 'yes'.

The 1970s aren't nearly as well-represented in my collection as they should be. I'm starting to rectify that though. The 1975 Topps Robin Yount RC is the one PC card I really need to acquire.

Peter K Steinberg said...

1970s baseball card: 1975 George Brett. Hate the set; love the card.

I want Votto to be in the HOF but I think he needs some serious bounce-back years. Like, I almost think at this point Pujols is doing more harm than good to his career; and I could see something similar happening to Votto, though he's not in the same league as Pujols.

Fuji said...

hiflew - i totally know what you mean about the availability of 70's cards in the 80's. in the early 80's, i only knew one shop that carried vintage it was limited. and that was an excellent call on the tube socks title.

sumomenkoman - outside of a few "not very popular" boxes... i haven't really been looking to add to the unopened collection either. hope you put some money on brady!

john sharp - congratulations to you and brady!

kirk - i love that card. it's part of my classic card pc

elliptical man - i can close my eyes and picture the 74T Schmidt. all of the credit goes to you and your blog

bbcardz - great question. when i have some free time, i'll compare them. if 2021 is anything like 2020... then i won't be opening up much product either

sg488 - $400 a box? that's crazy. it's even crazier that people are buying it

johnny's trading spot - love the yount rookie. still have the one i bought as a kid

gcrl - thanks for the set sampler idea. can't wait to start building mine

nick - the 77t fidrych is a great card.

the lost collector - the 71t munson is another classic. there's a chance that'll represent 1971 for me. then again... i do love the nolan ryan too

cincicuse bill - thanks. it's been a rough weekend. i guess the next few seasons will make or break votto's case for cooperstown

nick vossbrink - another card i can close my eyes and picture.

the diamond king - the second time the 71t munson has been mentioned. it's a classic card

daniel wilson - if this were a poll... the 71t munson would be running away with the title. i have the entire 86-87 fleer basketball set (plus stickers) with the exception of one card. sadly... i'll never own a copy of it

gregory - both of those are iconic rookie cards. as a kid i wanted both of them so badly. i grabbed the yount, but had to wait almost 30 years to add the brett

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - the aaron you mentioned often gets overshadowed by card #1 in the 1974 set. good call.

chris - the 1975 topps yount is one of the first big rookie cards i ever purchased. it's also one of the cards i kept from my original collection after the great purge of 2001

peter k steinberg - you hate the 75t set? why? it's one of my favorites of all-time. at this point, he needs a few more solid years to solidify his chances. i sure hope he doesn't drag out his career and hurt his chances

hiflew said...

I don't agree about Pujols. Did Willie Mays hurt his legacy by hanging around with the Mets? Did Babe Ruth hurt his legacy by being a Brave when he should have retired earlier? It works in other sports too. Michael Jordan as a Wizard. Joe Namath as a Ram. Wayne Gretzky as a Blue and a Ranger. All of these legends stay past their primes because they love the game. Pujols has done enough that he couldn't hurt his legacy if he pulled a Julio Franco and played until almost 50.