30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, October 21, 2019

Pack Fresh and Altered Vintage

This week is already off to a quick startFour of my classes had presentations today which were really cool... but at the same time were very time consuming and tiring.  The prep took much longer than anticipated and I ended up not having enough time to write this post.

So I'm going to keep the writing to a minimum and let you focus on the baseball cards that John over at Johnny's Trading Spot sent me last week:

1967 Topps #103

This is my third copy of this card... but it's by far the most beautiful.  It's not often I'm able to add high grade vintage to my collection.  The fact that it features Mickey Mantle's floating head makes it that much cooler.

1969 Topps #495

Campaneris is one of my favorite players on The Swingin' A's... and this card is in sweet condition like the Mantle.

Can't say the same for this card...

1957 Topps #128

I'll go out on a limb and say that Johnny is donating this card to my Damaged Card PC.  It's an oldie... and a goodie.

Rounding out the package are three memorabilia cards:


All three of these cards were produced during the peak of The Relic Era which works for me, because I'm one of those collectors who still enjoys adding relic cards to my collection.  The Sasaki is especially sweet, because it's numbered out of 100.

Thank you Johnny for hooking me up with another care package... especially since I already owe you for a couple of them.  I'll hit you back at some point.  Hopefully sometime before 2020.

Well... I got eight minutes to edit the text and hit the "publish" button.  If this post is published anytime past 3pm, then you know I failed.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Glad the Mantle was an upgrade!

The Snorting Bull said...

Always great when you post a damaged card. I feel like Ed Bailey might have made some kid angry, who in turn scratched out his face.

Matt said...

I always feel damaged cards are authentic. crinkles, wrinkles and writing on them. etc. great stuff.

SumoMenkoMan said...

The 1960s floating head era was pretty unique. Nice looking checklist especially for that age.

gregory said...

Great cartoon on the back of the Campy card!

Jon said...

That Mantle is fantastic shape, great contest win!

Henry Blanchette said...

I remember looking at my copy of Campaneris' 1969 Topps card not too long ago. He's also one of my favorite guys from the Swingin' A's along with Vida Blue and Sal Bando.

Fuji said...

johnny's trading spot - it's sweet! hard to believe this thing is vintage. looks so clean.

the snorting bull - lol. i think it was a cardinals fan

sport card collectors - totally. i call them cards with character

sumomenkoman - i think these might be the greatest looking checklists out there. of the top of my head, i can't think of any cooler ones.

gregory - vintage cartoons rule! i actually had no idea that campy was so good on the base paths. the guy could do everything

jon - lol. had to go back to his blog, search contest to realize this was a prize package. thanks for pointing that out. totally forgot that i won a contest.

henry blanchette - big fan of vida blue and sal bando too. throw in catfish, rudi, reggie, fingers, tenace, and odom too ;)