30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Flea Market Finds #152: Shoebox Collection & Some Coke

Not last weekend, but the weekend before... I hit up the Branham High School Flea Market.  It's another one of those once a month flea markets located in the parking lot of a local high school.  It's smaller than the De Anza Flea Market, but usually has more sports memorabilia.


Purchase #1Magazines $2

The first dealer in the first row is a regular vendor who has plenty of regulars looking for sports memorabilia.  He had a bunch of magazines for a buck or two.  I grabbed two $1 magazines...


The first one is a Legends magazine from the 90's.  Each issue comes with 9 cards and three postcards that a printed on high quality card stock.

Here's a look at the 9 cards in this issue:


Solid lineup here.  Nine athletesNine hall of famers.  There's also an offer for readers to purchase a Tony Gwynn signed issue for $25.

If you'd like a closer look at the autograph, I bought one back in 2013 for $17.16 on eBay.

And here are the three postcards in this issue:


Three more athletesThree more hall of famers.  Not bad for a buck, right?

The other magazine I purchase is actually a program for the 1984 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament:


I'm not really into basketball these days, but this program is pretty cool.  That Final Four featured several future NBA players... most notably... Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon.


The back cover is pretty sweet too.  It featured the first 300ZX... which were popular for nearly two decades.  Not sure if any of my readers are car enthusiasts... but Nissan just released their latest Z this year (technically a 2023 model). 


Purchase #2Quarter Bin Cards $2

The same vendor with the magazines also had several quarter boxes (or 5 cards for $1).  I picked out these ten cards:


I've dug through his boxes before and always seem to walk away with at least one new Artist Proof or Dufex parallel for the collection.

1997 Bowman's Best International Preview #BBI 19

I added this card to the stack, because there was a time when it was a pretty sweet pull.  Although it's a Bowman's Best card, it actually came out of a 1997 Bowman Series 2 pack.


If you collected back in 1997, then you probably remember the hobby hype around this guy.  According to the January 1998 issue of Beckett Baseball, he was the 5th hottest player in the hobby:

He was popular enough to grace the back cover of that very issue.  This parallel I picked up was listed in that price guide for $20.  Today it's 1/100th of that price.


Purchase #3Shoebox Collection $10


The final thing I grabbed from the first vendor were two boxes filled with baseball cards:


I wish I could report some hidden treasures, but these were pretty much a bunch of non-mint base cards.  I'll probably just take these into the classroom as samples for students.


Purchase #4Mt. Rushmore Coke Bottle $3

After dropping the boxes and magazines off at the car, I returned to the first row and stumbled across this massive collection of Coke bottles:


This lady had been collecting them since the late 80's with her husband.  They had tons of cool ones ranging from Disney to sports.   Most of the bottles were $3 each or $15 for a six pack.


I considered buying a few different ones, but settled on this one for my classroom:


The uniquely shaped bottle commemorates the 100th Anniversary of South Dakota.  I think it's cool that the soda is still intact after thirty-three years.


Purchase #5Digable Planets Photo $1


A few weeks ago, a Digable Planets song (Rebirth of Slick) came on while my students were working on a project.


One of them recognized the song and started singing it.  Figured she'd think this was cool, so I bought it for her.  


Purchase #6Basketball Cards $10

My final purchase of the day was off of a guy who had several boxes of 90's baseball, basketball, and football inserts.  Every card was priced with what appeared to be current eBay prices.  I was kind of impressed with all of the effort he put into pricing his inventory.  You don't see that very often with flea market vendors in my area.

There were a small percentage of cards he didn't have priced.  Being the bargain collector that I am, I passed on the priced cards... but inquired about two basketball parallels

1995-96 Skybox E-XL Blue #10

I really liked this product back in the 90's... and recognized this as one of the blue parallels.  It's not rare (one per pack), but it's MJ.  The guy said he wanted $10 for this card and $4 for this Kobe parallel:  

2000-01 UD MVP Silver Script #189

I offered $10 and he accepted.

That wraps up another trip to the flea market.   De Anza is this upcoming Saturday.  The plan is to get out there and walk around.  It's generally cheap entertainment, but gas prices are still insane out here.


I miss the days when gas was only $3 per gallon.  Starting to think those days are a thing of the past.  Last week I paid $6.69/gallon.

What are you all currently paying for gas?

Happy Tuesday and sayoanara!

19 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

On election day in 2020, I filled up my tank at $1.79 (just the week before it was $1.59). I miss those days.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Currently it is 3.94

night owl said...

I haven't been to the gas pump for awhile (everything I need to get to is within 1-5 miles), it was around 4.30 then.

John Sharp said...

It's $4.00+, but since I no longer drive, I don't actually pay attention.

Chris said...

Funny you should mention gas prices as I just finished watching this YouTube video explaining the factors that lead to the current price gouging (hint: it's not the POTUS, if that's what anyone is implying)

Elliptical Man said...

I don't have a car.

Those postcards are cool, and I like the Coke bottle with the Mount Rushmore picture.

Crocodile said...

Yes it's the POTUS! (j/k) Seriously tho...nice pickups. And I almost bought a NISSAN 300Z back before the kids came along. Really had to walk away from that as my driving record back then was...ahem...not the best, and I like driving.

Brett Alan said...

You inspired me to listen to "Rebirth Of Slick" for the first time in years. The version I could find online is kind of scratchy, but, man, what a great record!

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Cool pickups. I miss $3 gallon gas too. It's nearing $5 here, but $6+ would be something else.

sg488 said...

Wow,it still hasn't broke $6 here in the Sacramento area yet,only $5.89 for unleaded.

The Lost Collector said...

I put 93 octane in my car, which is around $5.50 here in northern NJ.

I love the ad for the 300ZX. The mid 90s 300ZX and the early 2000s 350Z are some of my favorite cars!

Nick Vossbrink said...

Costco gas only here. It's not too bad, maybe the $5 range. I don't drive enough to complain though since I only fill up maybe once a month.

GCA said...

Prices have been fluctuating over & under $4.50 for the last couple weeks. Filling up my car was 70 couple dollars last time. Biggest trouble is, my old Buick takes Premium - and it's just about empty.

Bo said...

Those legends cards are cool, I've never seen them in the magazine.

Here on Long Island the prices are hovering a little under $5. Fortunately only need to get gas maybe once a month. Now that I work from home I'm not only saving my $300 monthly train ticket, but driving to the railroad station would have been getting pricy too.

The Diamond King said...

I didn't even realize those Legends cards were from a magazine. I grabbed a couple out of a dime box last show.

Matt said...

$4.89 here i think. It's time to start staying home again lol

SumoMenkoMan said...

Dang. It’s almost $7 some places here in LA! Cool finds!

The Snorting Bull said...

Loved the Jose Cruz Jr. card. He was a great young talent. I know he is generally considered a flop, but he ended up having a pretty long career. Guy had some solid seasons.

The gases prices around my home are generally around $4.30. Luckily, I can walk to almost everything I need from my house outside of my job. Multiple grocery stores, Target, hardware store, Walgreens, and a ton of restaurants are all within a 5-10 walk.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - whoa. can't remember the last time i paid less than $2/gallon. but it's been a long, long time.

night owl - i'm jealous. my work commute is around 20 miles roundtrip. but summer break is just around the corner

john sharp - glad you don't have to pay these high gas prices

chris - thanks for sharing the video. figured price of oil would be the key to gas prices.

elliptical man - i really like the postcards too. i'd love to find more of those legends magazines for a buck.

crocodile - have you seen the new z? it's a nice car. been watching yt videos on it.

brett alan - it's a great song. i think it's even cooler that some parents are passing it down to their children.

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - it's only gone up since i wrote this post. i'm sure it'll be over $7 the next time i fill up my tank

sg488 - lucky. i just paid 6.99 on tuesday

the lost collector - you'd be paying closer to $7 out here. then again, i don't see 93 octane around much

nick vossbrink - i need to start going to costco more often. just looked it up online. it's $6.29 for premium at the one near my house

gca - i wish it was under 5 here. can't even believe i'm typing out this comment

bo - $300 for a monthly train ticket. that's expensive. glad you're able to work from home

the diamond king - if you ever stumble across that magazine and it's cheap, i encourage you to grab a copy. it's a good read and the postcards and cards are fantastic

matt - a week from now i'll be on summer break and staying home for a large percentage of it

sumomenkoman - paid 6.99 on tuesday. i'm sure it won't be long before it cracks the $7 mark.