30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, June 6, 2022

A Piece of History

Seventy-eight years ago, the Allied forces launched the largest amphibious invasion in the history of warfare.  They used over 5,000 ships and landing craft to transport more than 150,000 troops spread across five beaches in Normandy, France.  Several hours earlier, two waves of Allied airborne forces parachuted into northern France behind enemy lines to secure bridges and exit roads.

HBO's Band of Brothers is a miniseries about Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division during World War II.  It's one of my favorite shows (miniseries) of all-time... and it covers their jump into Normandy on D-Day.

A few years ago, I discovered Topps produced a relic card honoring the 101st Airborne Division for their 2009 Topps American Heritage Heroes product.  I eventually found a copy on eBay for a reasonable price back in 2020.  The plan was to publish this post a year ago, but it got buried in my drafts folder.  I rediscovered it over my Spring Break and scheduled it for today... the 78th anniversary of D-Day.

Here is the card of the day:

2009 Topps American Heritage Heroes American Heroism Relics #AH-WWII7

The gentleman holding the Nazi flag is Private James Flanagan who was part of the 502nd Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division.  The photograph was taken at Marmion, Normandy exactly 78 years ago.  If you're interested, you can see the original photograph and read more about it by clicking here.


Like most memorabilia cards these days, the description of the swatch is vague.  But according to Topps it features an authentic piece of uniform worn by a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division during World War II.  I'll take their word for it, sit back, and appreciate owning a piece of history.

I realize most of the people who check out my blog enjoy reading about sports cards, but...

Do you collect non-sports cards?

Did you ever watch Band of Brothers?

Have a great week!  Only four more days until summer break!  Happy Monday and sayonara!

14 comments:

Jeremya1um said...

I don’t really collect non sport cards unless the subject of the card means something to me. With that being said, I have a relic card from that same set with a medic uniform. Both sets of grandparents came to the US from the Netherlands and while still there during WW2, my Maternal Great Grandfather hid some important documents in my Grandmothers diaper so Nazi soldiers wouldn’t find them while they searched their house. With all of the family ties to Holland I kind of find WW2 interesting.

John Sharp said...

I love WW 2 movies, but haven't watched that show.

Brett Alan said...

I have a fair number of non-sports cards, even a few complete sets, but I rarely buy them these days. Just an occasional dime box find of interest (and I did snag a couple of Nine Pockets' fine non-sports customs).

I didn't have HBO when Band Of Brothers was on, but I seem to recall watching one episode at my parents' house. It was well done.

Angus said...

I've probably watched the run of Band of Brothers about a dozen times, the most recent time started a year ago today. Amazing series that I highly recommend everyone see.

I've got a bunch of non-sports sets - a lot of comic, movie and TV sets.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Definite yes with the non sports collections. Band of Brothers, never seen it. Now back to the 101st, I've got to have a little fun here. When I was in (the Army) we called them boys air assault jumping out of helicopters, light stuff. The 82nd Airborne were the bad boys. I'm just prejudiced that way, lol. God bless them all, thank God for them all, and pray we never need them active.

Jimetal7212 said...

I collect non-sport as well. The majority of that collection is actually historical based. I have most of the Allen & Ginter history-based inserts sets, '65 Philadelphia War Series and a few others to start. I've watched Band of Brothers. It still amazes me to this day thinking of what was achieved on this day considering what they were up against.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Definitely collect non-sports if it interests me and this certainly would - I had no idea this existed. Band of Brothers is also one of my favorites. Have you read the book? If not, I highly recommend it.

Matt said...

As you know, I collect a ton of non sport cards!

Matt said...

My grandfather was one of those 150,000 soldiers on Normandy. It's weird when I watch shows like Band Of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan to think he was one of those men.

GCA said...

I've got binders for Star Trek, Star Wars, Charlie's Angels, music, and my Moon Landing / Space binder. Have a couple Marvel sets too.

Also have the BoB DVD set. The best military series maybe ever. SPRyan was great, but I think BoB might be #1.

The Snorting Bull said...

I try not to collect non-sports cards, but every once in awhile I end up with one. I think most recently, I got a card from the British version of the Avengers. I have never watched Band of Brothers, but perhaps I should.

SumoMenkoMan said...

BoB has to be one of the top 5 mini series of all time. Epic! And cool card for sure!!

Fuji said...

jeremya1um - now that's a cool history lesson. your grandparents' story puts a lot of things into perspective regarding life. i can only imagine the fear of carrying those documents while nazi soldiers are searching for them.

john sharp - highly recommend it. very well done

brett alan - gregory produces some fantastic customs. my favorites are the beastie boys cards he made.

angus - i think i'll watch it again over the summer. you picked a great day to start it last year

johnnys trading spot - thanks for the history lesson. those boys were jumping out of helicopters on d-day though. actually, it might have been even crazier had they tried to fly in with helicopters

jimetal7212 - jealous of those a&g sets. i wish i had targeted them over the years. i do have a special box with those non-sports inserts. i agree about them being amazing.

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - i haven't read the book, but i'll see if my father has a copy of it. although i don't read a lot of books right now. maybe when i retire though

matt - you have some very cool non-sport cards. i especially love all of the autographs you own

matt - that is so cool. thank you to him and all of those who fought for freedom and against tyranny

gca - that's awesome! i wish i had the space to put more of my collection into binders for easy display. i agree with band of brothers being #1. i love saving private ryan too

the snorting bull - i highly recommend band of brothers if you're into world war 2 stuff. can't remember anyone saying they didn't like it

sumomenkoman - it's #1 in my book. however before it came out, shogun would have been my #1.

AdamE said...

BoB is one of my favorite series of all time. I just found out a couple weeks ago that HBO did a second WW2 mini series called The Pacific that focuses on the Marines fighting in the Pacific. It covers Okinawa, Guadacanal, and Iwo Jima amongst others. I haven't seen it but it is on my short list of shows to watch.