30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Hammer Time & A Dynamic Duo

There isn't a single accomplishment in my life that isn't directly tied to something my father taught me or instilled in me.  That's why he's been my hero for as long as I can remember.

The past three years, we've really bonded.  We've helped each other cope with the loss of my mother... the loss of his wife.

One of my father's favorite pastimes is to sit around the table and "talk story".  That's when he shares stories from his life and the wisdom from those stories.

It was during one of these table talks that he mentioned that he took several classes at Marquette University while attending Milwaukee School of Engineering.

1910 Murad T-51 #87

That was new news to me.  Since I can't find any trading cards featuring MSOE, I decided to add this card to honor his time in college.  Based on this card, I'm guessing back in the day, Marquette was known for their "hammer throw" program.

Don't worry... I know most of you could care less about "hammer throw" cards, so in the spirit of Father's Day, here are five trading cards featuring one of the most famous father/son duos in MLB history...


#11992 Alrak Golden Moments #5


This phone card thingy might be logoless, but that doesn't mean it's not cool.  It features some interesting information about the Griffeys on the back:


Based on those numbers, it looks like the Mariners should have started them together more often.


#21991 Star Platinum #61


The sideways photo/text is kind of annoying.  But the photo of the pair shagging balls in the outfield and the bright colored border make up for it.


Not sure if this is legit or not, but according to the back of this card... only 1,000 of these cards exist.


#31990 Topps Magazine #TM27


This is such a cool card.  The design might be a little flamboyant... but it definitely fits the era this card was produced in.


I'm guessing this card predates September 14th, 1990... because it doesn't mention them becoming the only father and son to hit back to back home runs in MLB history.


#41991 Stadium Club Charter Member #NNO


This card honors the father/son duo making history again.


This event took place a few weeks earlier than their back to back home runs... when the two became the first father-son combination to play together as teammates.


#52016 Topps Archives 1985 Topps Father/Son #FS-GG


And rounding out this post is another one of those Topps inserts that utilizes a design from their past.


Topps highlights some of their career accomplishments, but failed to mention their time playing together.  That doesn't really surprise me though.

Happy Father's Day Dad!

And to all of the fathers reading this post... happy early Father's Day to you too and sayonara!

9 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

Marquette has had some good basketball players: Doc Rivers, Dwyane Wade, Maurice Lucas, Jimmy Butler, etc.

I'll be expecting Bonds or Guerrero next year.

Nick said...

Griffey father/son cards are always cool & I'm glad there's so many of them. They're all a treat.

Matt said...

Nothing wrong with seeing more Griffey

The Lost Collector said...

I don't think I've seen any of these cards. Very cool.

Sean said...

Those Griffey Jr/Sr cards are awesome.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Definitely love the Star card!

Jon said...

I've never seen the Topps Magazine card before, and now I really want one!

Jafronius said...

Nice group of cards!

Fuji said...

elliptical man - solid list. maybe i'll put together a small group of autographs of marquette alumni for next year's father's day post.

nick - i'm wondering if i have enough to fill out a 9 pocket page. that would be cool.

matt - i agree. and he has enough cards to last bloggers a lifetime

the lost collector - i had a few others on hand, but went with my five favorite.

sean - thanks.

sumomenkoman - i know. wish i had the whole set.

jon - i believe it's from issue #4 from their inaugural year. you should be able to get the complete issue with 8 cards for $5 or less at a card show.

jafronius - thanks.