30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, January 31, 2022

Once in a Generation

Although I collect baseball cards more than all of the other sports combined... I still enjoy watching and collecting other sportsFootball has always been a big part of my family.  I grew up in a San Francisco 49er household where we watched football every weekend during the season.  And my fanfare for the sport has never waned.  I just don't really write about it on this blog, because football posts don't receive a lot of views and I'd rather write about something my readers are interested in.

That being said... sometimes an event takes place and it's so monumental... I feel like I need to document it on my blog.

This weekend while sitting at the Serramonte Mall Sports Card, Toys, & Collectibles Show... one of the nearby dealers broke the news of Tom Brady retiring.  The news might not have been shocking, but anytime a once in a generation caliber player hangs up his cleats... it's a pretty big deal.  It also explained why several people asked about his cards.  I actually sold three cards at a fraction of the going rate, but that's a story for another day.

Today I figured I'd just showcase a few of my favorite Brady cards...

2004 Topps Chrome #125

This card is my favorite base card of Brady.  I really like the design and it features a great action shot.

I took a break from the hobby in 2001, so I missed out on a lot of Brady's early year cards.  Thankfully I purchased a huge collection at the De Anza Flea Market in 2013 that landed me a few 2002 singles that are pretty cool:

2002 Topps Chrome #150
2002 Bowman Chrome #99
2002 Topps Finest #50

2002 SPx #6
2002 Topps Heritage #50

That flea market find is probably where I landed these rookie cards:

2000 Bowman #236

2000 Fleer Traditions #352

These days Brady rookie cards sell at ridiculous prices, so I won't be adding any new ones to my collection.

I'll round out the scans with the only two memorabilia cards I found in my box:

2004 SP Game Used Authentic Fabrics #AF-TB

2008 UD Masterpieces Captured on Canvas #CC1

UD Masterpieces has always been one of my favorite product lines... and this relic card is stunning.

Side note... back in the late 2000's and early 2010's, I was into buying cheap boxes and cases.  In 2011, I bought a sixteen box case of this product for $625 from DA Cardworld which motivated me to build the entire 2008 UD Masterpieces Captured on Canvas set.  If you're a football fan and would like to see the complete set, click here.

Well that's it for today.

Sayonara Mr. Brady!  I was always more of a Peyton Manning guy, but I'm the kind of fan that respects greatness.  And a quick peek at your career achievements reveals you're the greatest quarterback of all-time (at least in my eyes).  In fact, it's highly unlikely I'll see anyone unseat you from this title in my lifetime.

What about you?

Who do you think is the all-time greatest quarterback?

Happy Monday and sayonara!

18 comments:

GTT said...

I was very sad to see that Tom Brady retired. Easily my favorite football player, and I think he's the all-time greatest quarterback.

Brett Alan said...

I'm no football expert, but, yeah, I think it's Brady. He just won so much, and being able to go to a new team which wasn't great and win again seals the deal.

Crazy fact about Brady--he was the last active professional athlete in any major league who was drafted by the Montreal Expos! He was quite a good catcher in high school and was picked by Montreal in the 18th round in 1995. They even brought him into a workout, but the players advised him that being a college football quarterback would be better than playing minor league ball. Turned out to be good advice. All the Expos draft picks who played in organized baseball have retired. (Ryan Zimmerman was selected in their first draft as the Nationals.)

The Diamond King said...

Great Brady cards, wish I had a RC! I really love that Expos bit about Brady too, crazy.

Another cool drafting factoid, because the Tigers drafted Patrick Mahomes for the MLB before he opted to instead play football, the Detroit Tigers baseball team has drafted more Superbowl winning QBs than the Detroit Lions football team.

Crocodile said...

Those cards are awesome, I'm totally jealous. And I think there's no doubt he's the greatest of all time.

John Sharp said...

Brady is absolutely the greatest QB to ever play the game...LOVE those Relic cards.

Brett Alan said...

That reminds me of when they used to say here that the team with the best quarterback in New York was the Knicks, because they had Charlie Ward while the football teams were sending out guys like Frank Reich and Dave Brown.

The Lost Collector said...

Joe Burrow!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I'm not totally convinced he is retiring right now. I get it if he does (I respect the family thing) or if he doesn't (I respect that too). I'll wait until he actually says it himself. He is THE GOAT!

Matt said...

Hate to say it, Brady.

I thought he hasnt fully decided yet on retiring last i heard..

night owl said...

I'd never be able to do this post because I proudly have zero Tom Brady cards.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Now it's official. Feb. 1st.

Bo said...

Brady was the most successful for sure. Not necessarily the best, because he played in such a QB-friendly era. The few times he actually came up against an elite defense - like my Giants twice - he was a mere mortal. If you put Tom Brady on the 80's Dolphins and Dan Marino on the '00s Patriots, for example, I think Marino would be the one everyone calls the Greatest. Lots of other QBs you could make that argument with; I don't know football well enough to pick the best ones to compare.

Jongudmund said...

That is an amazing fact, Brett. I love stories like that.

Jongudmund said...

I wonder if Dave Stachezki has a copy of that "rookies to watch" card. Shoes it to his kids. "I was one I watch, same as Tom Brady." The kids roll their eyes. "Sure, dad."

Big Tone said...

Cool bunch of Brady's! "Here's a story..."

sg488 said...

No doubt Brady,those are some great Brady cards you got.

SumoMenkoMan said...

He will be missed. And he was still capable of winning Super Bowls. The greatest in my opinion…nice collection of Brady cards for sure.

Fuji said...

gtt - i think a lot of fans were sad to see him go, but i'm glad he left while still being on top.

brett alan - oh man... that is a really, really cool piece of baseball trivia. bay area sports radio covers brady a lot, but i hadn't heard the expos thing. thanks for sharing. i remember opening packs of signature rookies hoping to pull an autograph of ward. hmmm... maybe i'll see if i can add a pair of his basketball and football autographs to my collection.

the diamond king - oh man... that tigers/lions super bowl piece of trivia is awesome. my best friend's husband is a huge detroit fan. i'll have to share it with him. as for the hunt for his rookie card, i'm not an expert, but that fleer traditions might be one of the cheapest options and it's not even that cheap.

crocodile - thanks crocodile. i lucked out with that collection purchase. if i had to guess, i'd say 1/2 of the brady cards in my collection were from that flea market find

john sharp - i agree... on both the greatest and relics comments

the lost collector - hopefully he wins super bowl mvp next weekend

johnnys trading spot - yeah, i guess he hadn't made it official when this post was published. the people at the show led me to believe it was official. i apologize for the fake news. glad it didn't take long for him to make it official.

matt - yeah, i guess when i published this post he hadn't made it official. i was basing it on everyone's reactions at the show

night owl - well if josh allen goes on to have a hall of fame career, i might be able to say the same thing about him. maybe some of your readers will send some brady cards your way. worst case scenario you can always send them to all the michigan bloggers out there

bo - i've watched a lot of football over the years, but don't consider myself to be an expert either. but i've heard enough experts comment on brady's career to convince me he's the greatest. by the way... marino was my favorite quarterback back in the 80's. love duper and clayton too.

jongudmund - lol. i know if i was mr. stachezki that's what i'd be telling people too

big tone - thanks

sg488 - i think if they did a poll... brady would receive at least 50% of the vote.

sumomenkoman - hopefully the lost collector is right and burrow is the next in line. go bengals!

cardboard jones - good points on the greatest of all-time thing. congratulations on landing his 2002 topps base card. i didn't find one of those in my box, but if i could have any base card that's the one i'd want. well... either that one or the chrome.