30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Multiple Intelligences

On the third day of school, my students and I took a multiple intelligence assessment.  It's basically is a survey to help people gauge their strengths and interests among different intelligences.  Most of my results were spot on.  I scored low in the "musical & rhythmic" intelligence... which makes sense since I can't carry a tune and have never learned to play any musical instruments.  My strengths were "interpersonal" and "logical & mathematical" intelligences.  In other words, I tend to be good at solving "personal conflicts" and "logic problems".

The one category I scored higher than expected was "visual & spatial" intelligence.  According to the handout we used... people who score high in this category have a high capacity for "conceptualization" and "spatial reasoning"... and might be interested in pursuing careers along the lines of engineers, artists, pilots, surgeons, fashion designers, or architects.

There was a time in my life when I thought I'd be an engineer, but anyone who knows me on a personal level knows that the other careers listed are not even in the same realm of my interests... or strengths.

Someone told me when I was young that I was too short to ever become a pilot, so that idea was squashed early.  Surgeon?  No way.  Not a fan of blood, nor could I live with that kind of pressure.  Fashion designer?  Uhh... I wear t-shirts, cargo shorts, and flip flops 95% of the year.

And although I have a deep appreciation for art... that subject area has never been a strength of mine.

That's why I'm always a little jealous when bloggers show off their custom card making skills.  Not only do I lack the creative ability to pull off such creations... I also lack the computer skills.

Luckily... two of these bloggers have shared their creations with me several times over the years.  Recently I was a recipient of a few more.

Let's start off with a pair of "bubble" cards created by Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown.  They feature my two favorite baseball players of all-time:

2022 Bubble Gum Baseball #4

First up is Mr. PadreGwynn was known for using chewing tobacco... but this card captures him blowing a bubble on the bases.  


Gavin doesn't mess around.  He did his homework and discovered exactly where and when the bubble was blown.

Rickey is next...

2022 Bubble Gum Baseball #2

This photo depicts Rickey at the plate as a New York Yankee on May 14, 1989.


It's always hard to see him as a Yankee... but Gavin mentions he was traded back to the Oakland A's less than a month later... where he went on to help them win a World Series title.

He also tossed in these two customs:

2022 Wthballs Series 10 #145

2022 Wthballs Series 10 #149

These were actually created by Gio over at When Topps Had Balls.  He produces, prints, and sells his customs over on his blog.  I'm guessing Gavin bought some and these two Athletics didn't fit his collection.

Love that Bando!  And I never would have known that Morgan was drafted by or played for the A's had I not seen that card.

There's one more card from Gavin that I want to show off.  But before I do, check out this gorgeous custom that Gregory over at Nine Pockets sent me:

2022 Nine Pockets Battle of the Bands #4

Okay.  If you're not familiar with the story behind this card and the other cards he produced... then do yourself a favor and click here.  Seriously.  You won't be disappointed.


Over the summer Gregory had a series of Battle of the Bands posts... where he took 4 rock bands from the United States and 4 from the United Kingdom... and had them battle each other until one band remained.

The creative writing was just as impressive as this Van Halen trading card that's based on the 1974-75 Topps basketball team leader cards.  If you are a fan of 70's rock, I'm encouraging you to take a few minutes out of your schedule to check it out.  Just make sure to come back, because there's one more awesome card I want to share...

Baseball Card Breakdown Sketch Card 1/1

Fan-f'n-tastic.  The talent behind this sketch card and the unique canvas just blows my mind.


Thank you Gavin... and thank you Gregory for showing off your mad skills and sharing your fantastic creations with the community.

If you ever need help solving a logic problem or an issue between some people, hit me up.  I make zero guarantees.  But according to the multiple intelligence assessment I took... I might be of assistance.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Yeah, I couldn't take one of those surveys, I am a rebel at heart, in mind and soul. I would wind up arguing with the paper, lol. I love those Bubble cards from Gavin, I want them all.

defgav said...

Glad you like, Fuji! Not my best sketch, but I thought it'd make for a fun throw-in.

Greg did a really great job on those Battle of the Bands cards.

Crocodile said...

Those customs are nice. Someday, maybe, hopefully, I'll find time to learn how to do make those.

The Diamond King said...

Wonderful stuff, love the BGB cards!

Brett Alan said...

I've always thought that visual and spatial intelligence is my worst category. Honestly I'm not sure how I'd feel if that turned out to be wrong.

The Lost Collector said...

Always been a huge fan of Gavin's creations.

RR said...

I like those Bubble cards and what a cool idea for a subset.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Sweet customs! Really awesome!!

Jon said...

I can't remember which test it was, but I took one back in my teens that said radiology would be my optimal career path. It's intentions may have been good, but that definitely wasn't going to be the right choice for me.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - i'm sure some of my students ran into the same issue and just faked it.

defgav - dude. that sketch was awesome!

crocodile - i feel like gavin and greg should team up and do a masterclass or something. if i had more time, i'd sign up

the diamond king - yeah gavin knocks it out of the park with his stuff. i'm creeping in on two 9 pocket pages dedicated to his work in my sports card smorgasbord binder

brett alan - lol. i understand the mixed emotions that might come out from that discovery

the lost collector - yeah, he's one of the best out there. definitely on the mt. rushmore of custom card creators

rr - gavin did a great job. i was especially impressed with the research behind each bubble

sumomenkoman - yeah. both of those guys do some fantastic work

jon - so i took one of those career surveys with my students at the end of last year and one of the things that popped up was nursing. i hate blood.