30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Time to Turn Things Around

The past week has been a little rough.  One of my former students passed away last Saturday.  He was only sixteen and honestly... the story behind it is way too tragic for a card blog post.


I will say this... he will always be remembered for his bright smile.

On Thursday, I turned the big 5-0.  The day started out okay... but by third period I was struck with a wicked headache which was nullified by Excedrin Migraine purchased during fourth period prep.  That stuff is legit and got me through the rest of the school day.  After school, two former students stopped by and surprised me with one of my favorite cakes (Peters' Burnt Almond Cake).  We shared it with one of my close teacher friends and a few other former students who were there.

At that point I thought my day (and week) had turned around, but by the time I got home the headache had returned and the Excedrin was sitting in a drawer in my classroom.  Instead of going out for a birthday dinner, I celebrated with a three hour nap.

The following morning... I was also disappointed to see that one of my posts didn't publish.  It was one of those situations where I thought I had clicked "publish", but didn't.  Figure I'll just revise and combine it with this one...

2016 Topps Glove Leather Autographs #GLA-CRA

On September 1st, 1972... Rod Carew stole home in the bottom of the 10th inning against the Cleveland Indians to win the game.  Pretty cool that one of the guys I enjoy collecting did something that awesome on the day I was born.

Well... I'll wrap things up there.  Hope everyone has a safe three day weekend.  As for me... I'll be wrapping up the week by going out to the De Anza Flea Market with my buddy... then heading over to the GTSM Show.  Maybe I'll treat myself to a special birthday present.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

20 comments:

Brett Alan said...

Man, that's awful. My thoughts will be with his loved ones.

Nachos Grande said...

Sorry to hear about your former student, 16 is way too young. My thoughts go out to everyone involved.

As for you, happy birthday and hopefully the headaches stay away!

Jon said...

Happy belated birthday, Fuji!

Crocodile said...

Sweet card of Carew and belated Happy 50!

gcrl said...

That’s tough Fuji, but I hope you had a good bday. That’s a nice Carew auto - a good pre-heart attack example.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Happy belated Birthday Mark. Have a great long weekend

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Happy belated birthday. Sorry for the loss of a former student.

Laurens said...

Sorry to hear about one of your students passing.

Here is to more good years however, happy birthday.

Bo said...

Sorry to hear that. Happy birthday though!

Big Tone said...

Hang in there, Fuji.

Dennis said...

I'm sorry about your student passing away, that has to be hard for someone like you who cares so much for others.

Also, happy 50! Have a great time at the flea market and show.

The Lost Collector said...

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Happy 50th! Wishing you a great year.

sg488 said...

Sorry to hear about your loss,Happy Birthday to you and Dr. Phil.

The Snorting Bull said...

I am sorry for the loss of your former student. We went through that at my school last year, really rough.

I also wish you a belated Happy Birthday!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Dang, so sorry to hear and such a crazy up and down week.

RR said...

Sorry to hear of your student passing away and Happy belated 50th Birthday. That is pretty cool that Rodney stole home plate on the day you were born. Usually on my birthday it is the all-star game, but I will now have to check out what happened on my birthdate.

Fuji said...

thank you for the kind words and birthday wishes!

nachos grande - headaches were gone by friday and haven't had one since. thank goodness. nothing worse than a bad headache. okay, i'm sure there are much worse things... but they still suck

crocodile - every now and then topps finds a way to make a very attractive and innovative card

gcrl - i didn't realize his signature changed after his heart attack. i'll have to go back and compare his signatures

dennis - it's sad to hear about the passing of anyone, but that's especially true for kids. i'm glad this is only the 2nd former student (that i'm aware of) that has died before high school graduation. hopefully the last.

sg488 - i didn't know we share the same birthday. i'll have to see if he has a trading card.

the snorting bull - sorry to hear that. it's not something i expected when i chose this career.

rr - that's pretty cool. lots of cool things have happened over the years at the mid summer classic. you could create a pretty awesome pc with that theme

Jafronius said...

Belated happy birthday Fuji!

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

I saved this post to reply because everything right now for me is delayed but wanted to share condolences on your students passing, that's very sad. Also this may be too late for you to even see but happy belated birthday.

Fuji said...

jafronius - thank you. can't believe it took me almost two months to respond. sorry about the delay

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - delayed or not, thank you for taking the time to check out this post. there's a shrine built by friends (and maybe family) at the location of the incident. i drive by once or twice a week on my way to work. on thursday, the candles were lit at 6:30 in the morning.