30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 12, 2022

A Unique Collectible


Reader X sent me another care package that included a variety of stuff I'll show off from time to time in future posts.

Over the weekend I went through everything you see in the above photo and sorted itXavier sent a bunch of cool cards, but there was one that especially stood out:

2022 Topps Home Run Challenge #HRC-29

This is one of those game cards where collectors can win a special parallel version of the game card if they predict and pick a game where the player hits a home run.  Although these inserts aren't exactly stellar in design, I think it's cool that collectors are given the opportunity to interact with the game.


But that's not the reason I wanted to write a post about this card.  I found this card interesting, because Buster Posey announced his retirement last November yet Topps decided to still include this card in their set.


They replaced him with someone else in their Series 2 packs... and officially announced on their website that these cards are ineligible.  They even pointed out that that this card is a "unique collectible".  I totally agree.

Thank you Xavier for this cool and unique card... and these other Posey cards you sent my way:


Happy Monday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Crocodile said...

That is unique, never heard of it before this post.

Zippy Zappy said...

This is almost a cooler version of those coupons Topps used to put in packs for other packs that would expire like within a week after the product's release.

Matt said...

I didn't know that about the Posey, pretty cool!

Nick Vossbrink said...

Yeah Topps had to get its CL in order before Posy retired and this was one of the first cards on my radar in Series 1. As lead times get longer we're going to see more and more weird stuff like this.

The Snorting Bull said...

I wonder if Topps will provide someway for collectors to redeem that Posey card for a winner? Surely they can come up with something?

Anonymous said...

What a class act. I have a great collection of his cards.

Well, I had spent $100 on Bob Horner cards the day after he hit 4 homers in one game and didn’t bother to get his knees checked. And on top of that? I took my nephew to a Yankees game in the early 1990s and the women lifted their shirts after a Kevin Maas homerun. Boy was my sister vexed.

Jafronius said...

Didn't know about Posey either!

Fuji said...

sorry it took me so long to reply to your comments. this post was buried and i just noticed i hadn't replied this morning

crocodile, matt, & jafronius - glad i was able to inform you guys.

zippy - lol. it's funny, but not funny.

nick vossbrink - definitely a unique card for posey collectors like us

the snorting bull - it'd be cool... but i doubt they will

anonymous - i got excited for horner and his cards when he hit four home runs too. luckily i was a kid and didn't have $100 to spend... otherwise i might have been in a similar boat. sounds like that was a pretty memorable game