30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 5, 2022

Enjoying My Day Off

Lately... most of the posts on this blog were written and scheduled at least a couple of days in advance.  However the three day weekend is providing me the opportunity to write and publish a post on the same day.

Did you know that the first Labor Day was celebrated on September 5th, 1882 in New York City?  And on June 28th, 1894 President Cleveland officially made it a national holiday.

1992 Starline Americana #64

Thank you President Cleveland!  Today's day off couldn't have come at a more opportune time, so I'm going to use some of it to catch up on card related stuff.  One of those things is opening up two PWE's I received in the past week or so.

Back in August, Jeff over at Wax Pack Wonders reached out to me over on TCDB and asked for my mailing address.  He offered to help me out with my 1984 Topps baseball set build.  He ended up sending me twenty-seven cards... which he was able to fit nicely into a PWE.  Very impressive Jeff!  Here's what he sent my way:


Some pretty solid names here.  Pete Rose and a pair of hall of famers.  Look at all of those awesome action shots!

Before his help, I was at 90.65% (718/792) complete.  These 27 brings things up to 94.06% (745/792).


Forty-seven cards remaining.  There's only one card that should command over a dollar (#470 Nolan Ryan).  I actually saw it in a dollar bin on Saturday at the show, but didn't think I needed it for my set.  It's now officially on my radar.

This is one of those set builds that I could quickly squash on Sportlots... but I refuse to pay 18¢ for commons.  I'm hoping to one day find someone with a nickel box full of 1984 Topps cards.  Until then... patience is my middle name.

The other PWE arrived from the official Luis Torrens supercollector... Mr. Zippy Zappy of Torren' Up Cards.  He's known for zapping people with care packages... and I've received a fair share over the years.  He sent me some 2022 Topps back in the spring.  Today he hooked me up with pair of Sega Card-Gen singles... and one of them is a biggie.

The first card is actually a duplicate...

2012 Sega Card-Gen #J12-137/408

He sent me the first copy as well in 2013 and took the time to translate the entire back of the card.  Pretty cool.  I'll put this one in my A's collection, since the first one is in my Japanese trading card collection.

Next up is easily one of the coolest cards in my Ichiro PC:

2013 Sega Card-Gen #J13-122/390

I'm pretty sure people used these
cards to play a baseball video game in arcades in JapanLast week Zippy wrote about how certain cards and packs were given away at competitions.  Click here if you want to read about it.

Anyways... you've gotta imagine getting an Ichiro was the ultimate dream for anyone in Japan who played this game.  


Plus it's not everyday that I get to add a Japanese baseball card of the legend himself.  Just look at that awesome Japanese text on the back.  I love it.

Thank you so much Kenny for this most generous donation to my Ichiro collection.  And thank you very much Jeff for helping me out with my 1984 Topps set build.

Hope all of you are enjoying your Labor Day.  I know I'm enjoying mine.  Now I'm going to kick back and watch me an episode of See on Apple TV+.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

6 comments:

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Happy Labor Day, Fuji! Glad to help.

Jon said...

Jeff always sends neat cards.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Oh wow an Ichiro Card Gen. Super nice and appropriate.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Dang, sweet. I kind of think those Sega-Gen games would take off in the US if they ever brought them over and made an English edition.

Zippy Zappy said...

@SumoMenkoMan - The earliest Card Gen tests (not sure what year, probably 2009) were conducted in the states. But during the market research process it was decided that the game wouldn't work in the states and would have a better chance in Japan.

Fuji said...

jeff b - thanks again. much appreciated

jon - 84t is definitely a neat set

nick vossbrink - absolutely stoked to add that to the ichiro pc

sumomenkoman - i agree. i could see them at adult arcades like dave and busters. i know i'd definitely play it

zippy zappy - sad. i could see it struggling with kids, but if you put them in adult arcades, i could see them being popular. thanks again kenny for that awesome ichiro.