30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, July 10, 2021

Saturday Night Five: 2021 MLB All-Star Game Starters

It's been a long, long time since I've watched the MLB All-Star Game from start to finish.  If I had to guess, I'd say it happened in the 80's.  I'm not even sure if I've had the game on my television the past decade.  These days I will either casually follow the game online or watch the highlights.

Can't really explain how or why I lost interest in the game, because as a kid, I'd watch the Midsummer Classic religiously.  It was cool to see all of the game's best players come together, hang out, and play baseball.


Even with my poor memory, I can remember sitting down on my family room floor with my cards and ranking my favorite all-starsSteve Garvey, Dave Parker, Fred Lynn, Willie Wilson, Ozzie Smith, Pete Rose, Rickey Henderson, and Jim Palmer are the first names that come to mind.

With the 2021 MLB All-Star Game starters and reserves being announced, I thought I'd relive my childhood and rank my favorites for this year's game... even if I have zero plans to watch it.

Okay... enough chit chat... here we go...


#5Buster Posey

2010 Topps Emerald Nuts #1

Baby faced Buster has been one of the good guys ever since he entered the league.  He says the right things and plays the game the right way.  I've been silently rooting for him all season... even though I root against his team on a daily basis.


#4Juan Soto

2017 Topps Heritage Minor League #52

The league is filled with a large crop of entertaining young superstars and Soto is part of this fraternity.  I've been a fan of this guy ever since I first laid eyes on the Soto Shuffle.


#3Matt Olson

2017 Topps Chrome Prism Refractor #98

Olson is a stud and has been the best hitter on the team all year.  I hope the Athletics keep him around for the next decade or so.  Unfortunately he's only my 3rd or 4th favorite A's player behind Ramon Laureano, Matt Chapman, and depending on my mood... Sean Manaea.  Had Laureano made the All-Star team, he'd sit atop this listChapman wouldn't be at #1, but he'd slide into the #2 position.  As for Manaea... it'd be a coin toss between him and Olson.


#2Shohei Ohtani

2018 Topps Team Set #A-17

Ohtani is the most exciting player in baseball right now.  I can care less about the Los Angeles Angels, but I make sure to check their box score everyday.  I also search Ohtani highlights on a regular basis.  The only other guy who receives that treatment is at #1...


#1Fernando Tatis Jr.

2019 Topps Stickers #219

Nobody should be surprised by this pick.  He's my favorite Padre.  In fact, being a fan of the A's and Padres... I typically avoid purchasing jerseys with player's names on the backGwynn is obviously one exceptionHenderson anotherTatis just might be the third playerLove this guy.

Well there you have five of my favorite 2021 MLB All-Stars...

Who will you be rooting for on Tuesday night?

Will you watch the game?

Any annual baseball card rituals involving the Midsummer Classic?

I look forward to reading and responding to your comments.  Happy Saturday and sayonara!

13 comments:

Adam Kaningher said...

National League all the way!

Elliptical Man said...

NL. They have the Phillies and the Padres. AL just has the A's. Athletics?

Probably not.

No. I used to look up the stats and decide who got snubbed and who should be dumped. But that was with the local newspaper.

John Sharp said...

I've watched every All-Star Game from first pitch to last out since 1970, cheering for the American League every year.

The Lost Collector said...

I will be at the game!

night owl said...

Of course I'll watch the All-Star Game. I've watched virtually every one from start to finish since 1977. Even with the goofy uniforms they're going to wear (and the weird stuff they do now like talking to someone WHILE THEY'RE PLAYING), I will enjoy it. It's a lot of fun, I always enjoy the special snacks that go with the game, I don't know why I'd stop doing something like that.

Mike said...

The All-Star Game is the only game that I will definitely watch start to finish this season, although I don't really have a rooting interest anymore. It used to be the NL due to the Mets, but it does not matter terribly much at this point. Especially with deGrom opting to sit and the ridiculous uniforms that unfortunately did not get nixed despite universal disgust after their unveiling. I have never had any card-related traditions in association with the ASG, but I have kept score every year since 1993 and - thanks to BR.com and RetroSheet - actually have scorebooks covering all of the games from 1933 to the present.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

NL, not sure I'll be watching. No rituals

Anonymous said...

Haven't watched the ASG in 10, maybe 15 years. Have little interest but loved it as a kid. Great lineup of cards there, fuji.

gcrl said...

I was a die-hard national league fan watching the asg as a kid. These days I usually don't watch much of the game - maybe the first couple of innings.
I used to really look forward to the next year's cards to see the all-star designation on them for the (usually) starters of the game.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I’m cheering for a great game! Ha!

Matt said...

I'll watch the start for sure, but I admit I lose interest once they start swapping out guys every inning to make sure everyone plays. With 2 Red Sox pitchers making their first appearances, I'll probably be watching at least for them to show.

Matt said...

I don't watch any form of all star games for any sport. I think they are boring lol

Fuji said...

adam kaningher - dang. the american league has the nl's number

elliptical man - i enjoy reading articles about who go snubbed. future post on your blog?

john sharp - that is awesome and very impressive. congratulations on the win.

the lost collector - super jealous. i might not watch the game on the tv... but i'd definitely attend one if it was in my vicinity. hope you had a lot of fun.

night owl - i tip my cap to guys like you and john sharp. what kind of snacks were on the menu this year?

mike - i think the only time i'll watch a game from start to finish is if the a's or padres make the world series. as for those jerseys... i wonder how many they sold and how much they'll have to be discounted for them to sell out

johnnys trading spot - sorry to hear about acuna. when i heard about his injury, you were the first person i though of.

anonymous - i loved the game when i was a kid as well. thanks.

gcrl - not sure if my collecting habits are changing, but i don't really give much thought to the topps all-star cards anymore. maybe it's because i've lost interest in the game itself

sumomenkoman - ohtani pitched really well. i'd consider that great.

matt - i didn't watch the game, but considering neither allowed a run... i'm sure you're happy.

matt - i used to watch all of them. now i don't watch any of them. if i were to start again... it'd be baseball.