30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, July 8, 2021

Buy Me Some Churros and BBQ

One of my favorite things to do is sit down at a ballpark with friends or family, eat unhealthy food, and watch some exciting baseball.  On Tuesday... after almost a two year hiatus... I finally made my way back to a baseball game.


The San Jose Giants hosted the Fresno Grizzlies at San Jose Municipal Stadium, which is also home to the SJSU Spartans.  If you were to close your eyes and picture a minor league ballpark... I'm sure a few of you would picture something like Muni.  It's small, cozy, and gives off an old school vibe with advertisements painted on the outfield wall and pennants flying in the wind representing each of the California League teams.  Oops.  I mean Low-A West teams.


Tickets only set us back $5 each.  And the panoramic photo above was the view we had for most of the game.


If you make it out to Muni, I'd recommend grabbing some meat over at Turkey Mike's BBQ.  They have everything from hot dogs to burgers to ribs.  I usually order the ribs, but this time I tore up one of their tri-tip sandwiches.  It was pretty good.

2017 Topps Pro Debut Ben's Biz #BBB-9

I had just enough room in my belly for a churro from Super Churros Man.  Now that was delicious.

In between the 3rd and 4th inning, I walked down to the team store in search of a 2021 team set.  They had a bunch, but I wasn't going to pay $12.95 for some guys I didn't recognize when I could pick up this set for about half the price:

2008 Grandstand SJ Giants Update Set

I'm pretty sure the set was $6.95 + tax... but I could be a dollar off.  With tax it was less than $8.  The set contains only 12 cards, because it's an update set.  But one of those cards this this minor league card of Buster Posey:

2008 Grandstand SJ Giants Update #1

Posey is one of those guys who I enjoy rooting for... even though I can't stand the team he plays on.

Here's a look at the other 11 players in the set:



Dan Otero was the only other guy I recognized in the set.  He spent a few seasons with the Oakland A's.

I decided to educate myself, so I spent a few minutes looking up each of these guys on Baseball Reference.  Matt Downs, Darren Ford, Waldis Joaquin, Joe Paterson, Henry Sosa, and Jackson Williams each played at least one game at the MLB level.


Outside of Posey and Otero, it looks like Downs had the most successful MLB career out of the bunch.  He played his last professional game in 2013Henry Sosa was playing in the Chinese Professional Baseball League as late as last season.

Anyways... getting back to the San Jose Giants game we attended.  The Fresno Grizzlies (Colorado Rockies Low-A team) won 6 to 3, but Jairo Pomares had a big game for the Giants.  He went 4 for 4 with a double, a home run, and eight total bases.  I'd love to pick up one of his cards, but it looks like he's only in one product right now: 2021 Bowman Chrome.  Sadly every single one of these cards is an autograph.

I'm planning on attending at least two more San Jose Giants games within the next few weeks.  Maybe I'll buy a 2021 Choice Sportscards team set in hopes of Pomares being on the checklist.

Okay... that's it for now.  Here are today's questions of the day:

Are there any players you really like who play on teams you really dislike?

Have you made it out to the ballpark this season?

If so...

Who did you see?

If not...

Any plans going to a baseball game this year?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

Posey's had a nice career.

Not getting turkey from Turkey Mike though?

gcrl said...

Tri tip!?! Awesome. I'm going to a couple of games right after the asg plus more later in the summer.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Oh boy, TONS of guys I like that are on teams that I don't like (I don't like ANY team that isn't the Braves, especially AL teams). Won't be hitting a game this year.

Rebel Coyote said...

Great you made it back to the ballpark. So far I made it five games. Team store didn't they have California League top prospects set? I know team shop here still sell Texas League top prospects going up to 2012

Matt said...

I haven't been to a baseball game in 5 years. I still wear my mask to the grocery store even though I am fully vaccinated. Not sure when I will feel comfortable again to do things in big crowds again.

The Lost Collector said...

Looks like a great park to take in a game. We have a minor league team here (NJ Jackals) and they play at Yogi Berra Stadium, which is cool. They are unaffiliated, but still fun to see some recognizable names. I went to a game two weeks ago and Pete Incaviglia was the manager on the opposing team.

Jon said...

Looks like you couldn't have asked for a better day at the ballpark weather wise.

NPB Card Guy said...

1. Hayato Sakamoto of the Yomiuri Giants
2. Yes
2a. Two Aberdeen Ironbirds games and a Frederick Keys game.
2b. Going to the Orioles game tonight!

I saw my first minor league baseball game ever at the Muni in San Jose in 1976(!). It was Cupertino Little League night. If memory serves, I was sitting pretty close to where you took that photo. At least I know I was sitting on the third base side.

Have to say I'm amused that the BBQ place is named for a baseball player from over a 100 years ago - Turkey Mike Donlin.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I’d love to catch an Angels game this year since it is just right down the street.

Fuji said...

elliptical man - hmmm. i didn't even check to see if they had turkey on the menu. but even if they do, i'm not a big fan of it unless it's thanksgiving and includes mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing.

gcrl - i love me some tri tip. nice. twins games? have fun.

johnnys trading spot - not a single team? now that's some braves fanfare. i admire that.

rebel coyote - five games is awesome. hoping to hit up to five this summer. if i reach that number, i'll be a very happy camper. i didn't see the california league top prospects set, but i didn't look too closely either. based on what i saw, it was a bunch of sj giants sets from previous years.

matt - i respect that. i wear my mask in the grocery store too, but being transparent... i didn't wear it in the stands. it was pretty wide open and plenty of seats.

the lost collector - minor leagues are so fun. it's cool that so many former players manage these minor league teams. i think lenn sakata is the sj giants manager

jon - it was a gorgeous day. it actually cooled off enough to throw on my sj giants hoodie

npb card guy - never heard of mr. sakamoto, but i'll look him up after responding to these comments. hope you have fun at the orioles game tonight. didn't realize you grew up in this area. very cool. lmk if you ever make it back to the bay area and maybe we can meet up at a card shop or something. thanks for the info on turkey mike donlin. i just figured the owner's name was mike ;D

sumomenkoman - yeah, that'd be awesome. you should time it when ohtani is pitching.

Nick said...

Haven't made it to a game yet, but I'm hoping to hit a Cubs and/or Sox game before the year is out. I wouldn't say I actively dislike any current team - except maybe the Astros - but I'm watching the Cubs-Cardinals game right now and I'm kinda disappointed that Paul Goldschmidt is playing for a division rival. He's one of my favorites.

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

I've made it to a few games this summer. Always a good time. We have independent minor league, amateur, and legion to choose from.

Jongudmund said...

No plans to go to a ballgame although I might try and watch a Brit League game. I am off to my first live soccer game in 16 months this afternoon, though!

NPB Card Guy said...

Will do!

The Snorting Bull said...

I have been pained by Albert Pujols playing for the Angels during the past decade. I will always be a fan, but he would have been better off staying on the Cardinals. It was also hard to watch the 2016 Cubs. As a Cardinals fan, I did not want to see the team win the World Series. At the same time, there were several different former Durham Bulls on that team, including Ben Zobrist and Mike Montgomery who were two of my favorites while they were playing here.

I have been to several games. I have also been to 2 Durham Bulls games and a Carolina Mudcats game (Brewers A-Ball). In the next week, I am going to see the Tigers and Twins in Detroit and the US Olympic team in Durham. I am so happy to be back at the ballpark.

Fuji said...

nick - i wish goldy would have been able to play his entire career in arizona. i could see where cubs fans probably have similar feelings

jeff b - glad you've been able to watch some baseball in person. it's good to have variety and choices.

jongudmund - hope you had fun at the soccer game. my goal is to go to a sj earthquakes game before the end of my summer vacation.

the snorting bull - pujols career took a turn when he came to cali. it's like night and day. he dominated in st. louis. that's pretty cool that you got a chance to watch Team USA play. Hope they bring home the gold this summer.