30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, April 7, 2014

Flea Market Finds #59: Hobby Hodgepodge

I've got to admit everything about this weekend was amazing.  Great company.  Tasty eats.  Beautiful weather.  Entertaining box breaks.  And two different flea markets.

When:  Saturday, April 5th
Where:  De Anza Flea Market
What:  More Vintage League Leaders
How Much?:  $5

The flea market has really helped my Vintage Topps League Leaders Project in recent weeks.  On Saturday, I picked up three more cards.  The first two are new additions...


While the third card was a nice upgrade:


I picked all three of these cards up from one of my friends who sets up there every month.  I know I overpaid, but he's given me some decent deals in the past.



When:  Sunday, April 6th
Where:  Capitol Flea Market
What:  Comics, Team USA Bobble, and UFC DVD's
How Much?:  $22


Purchase #1:  2001 US Foundation Landon Donovan Bobblehead $10


Landon Donovan is one of the greatest male soccer players in U.S. history and is their all-time leader in scoring and assists.  Once upon a time, he played in San Jose for the Earthquakes.  He currently plays for their rival... the Los Angeles Galaxy... but that's okay.  He's still a nice addition to my San Jose shelf.


Purchase #2:  Bronze Age Comic Books $3


I guess I've been watching too many episodes of Comic Book Men... because I've recently been drawn towards vintage comic books.  I just really like the colors and the old school look and feel.  I've been seeing a lot of old comics at the flea market the past few months, but typically I won't bother looking unless they're cheap.

As soon as the vendor said a dollar an issue, I dove right in.  My favorite is the Werewolf By Night which happened to be released the same month I was born.


Purchase #3:  UFC DVD's $9


My latest obsession is finding cool DVD's at the flea market.  My friend really wants a copy of Aladdin for her kids and I promised to try and track one down for her.  Unfortunately, I have never seen a copy for less than $10.  But that's okay... it keeps things interesting and every now and then, I end up finding some DVD's for myself.

I was pretty stoked when I saw these, because one of my friends sold a bunch of these on eBay and made a decent profit.  Anyways... I figured it would be a good way to make up some of the money I lost on that Koufax.

But I think I'm going to end up keeping them.  I wouldn't exactly call myself an MMA fan, however I enjoy watching some of the bigger names fight.  And there are a bunch of big names on these DVD's.

Well... that's all for now.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love vintage comics, and although I have no clue about comic values I think that you can't go wrong with $1 comics that are old enough to have a 20 cent cover price.

Tony L. said...

I think I'm going to head to the local flea market next weekend. That is just calling my name right now!

Fuji said...

I don't know anything about comics either. When I got home, I checked eBay to see what they sell for. None of these are extremely rare, but I'm not complaining too much.

Fuji said...

Believe it or not... the best part about the flea market is going out there and getting some fresh air. I've gone several times this year without finding anything and I'm okay with it. So it's totally a win/win situation. Go for it!

BobWalkthePlank said...

I was just talking about going to a flea market with one of my buddies. The weather is just now starting to break in my neck of the woods so it might be a good way to pass some time. I might even find an Eric Sogard super collector who is selling all his cards for pennies on the dollar....only if I knew someone who liked him.

Fuji said...

Hmmm. Who would want to collect that nerd? I'll tell you what. If you find some Sogards, I'll help you out and take them off of your hands. Good luck on your flea market adventures.

Mark Hoyle said...

Love the leaders cards

Fuji said...

Thanks Mark. I'm really enjoying this project. I just put together a checklist of cards I still need and figured out that I'm not even halfway there. It's a nice challenge, but definitely doable.

Mark Hoyle said...

Let me know what you need. I know I have some extrad

Mark Hoyle said...

Extra's

Ana Lu said...

Donovan was ever blond? I would not recognize him with blond hair..
Great comic books! Specially that with Captain America!