30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, May 23, 2011

I'm Declaring Cardboard Shenanigans!

Yesterday I found this eBay listing...


It's for two copies of the 2007 Bowman Chrome "Red Refractor" Albert Pujols that are serial numbered to 5. What's the problem, you say? Well both of the cards in this lot are serial numbered 1/5, which is why I'm declaring CARDBOARD SHENANIGANS!


How can there be two identical cards with the exact same serial numbering? Isn't the point of serial numbering to show collectors that there are a specific number of cards out there for collectors to pull?


I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the hobby before... I mean these cards are four years old... so I'm sure others have seen this problem. But it's the first time I've seen it and this definitely caught my attention. Between fake autographs, mislabeled relic cards, and missing hits from boxes... I thought I had plenty of fodder to grumble about already... but I guess I was wrong.




Giving Topps the benefit of the doubt... I'll assume this was an isolated incident. However... one has to wonder if there really are only 6,225 copies of my extremely rare Nick Young autograph.

Happy Monday everyone... Sayonara!

2 comments:

Tony Mc said...

I saw something similar over on FCB a while back. Some guy was selling uncut sheets of quite a few different players, all of them red. I guess someone bought them and stamped them. Or of course this could just be a screw up by the manufacturer.
Still it will be interesting to see if the seller gets any questions about them.

Derek Hill said...

Can you imagine how tired your hand would get after signing over 6000 little stickers?