30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sports Card Bust #17, 18, & 19: Pitcher Edition

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I'll say it again. I love checkoutmycards.com. I've purchased hundreds of cards off of there at well below eBay prices. The ability to combine shipping allows me to build up my inventory and ship at my convenience.
Recently, I purchased ten new cards for my Sports Card Bust PC for a total of $17 ($5 was spent on a single card... the most I've paid for a sports bust to this date). If I bought these off of Beckett or eBay the price would have easily been double. So, if you buy singles and you haven't checked out the site... what are you waiting for?
Now... onto my newest additions to my Sports Card Bust PC. All three of today's additions were highly touted pitchers, who never lived up to the hype.
In 1994, the New York Mets had the first pick in the MLB amateur draft and they selected Florida State's Paul Wilson. Back in 1994, I was busting tons of Signature Rookies packs in search for Paul Wilson's autograph, because I though he would become the next big superstar. Well... 17 years later, we can officially label him a bust. He had a career record of 40 wins & 58 losses, with a 4.86 era. Sure, he lasted seven seasons in the MLB, which is a respectable amount if you're a 15th round pick. But not if you're the number 1 pick in the draft.
Then in Y2K, Adam Johnson was selected by the Minnesota Twins with the 2nd overall pick in the MLB amateur draft (Adrian Gonzalez was the #1 pick, chosen by the Marlins). Out of the three pitchers highlighted today, he pitched the fewest amount of games. During his 2 years in the bigs, he pitched in 9 games for a total of 26.1 innings. Luckily for the Twins, they drafted Joe Mauer with the #1 overall pick the following season. However, this still doesn't keep Mr. Johnson from being added to this PC.
Finally, we'll finish things off with Bryan Bullington, who was drafted by the Pirates with the 1st overall pick in the 2002 MLB amateur draft. He's the only one out of these three pitchers who's still playing baseball. In fact, Mr. Bullington has pitched in 3 games this year. He is 0 - 6 in his career with a 5.57 era. As of right now, he's definitely a bust for being a number 1 pick in the draft. However, maybe this is the year that he'll turn things around.

3 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

That Bowman' auto card at the end is actually a nice LOOKING card. This is the best running blog post on the bloggosphere. Keep it up Mark. Tons O' fun to read.

Fuji said...

charles - thanks buddy... i was actually really impressed with bullington's autograph... looks old school.

Charles @ Hoopography said...

Totally, I agree. That is just a good looking card all the way around.