30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, June 22, 2015

Flea Market Finds #85: Will Ferrell & Def Leppard

When:  Saturday, June 20th
Where:  Branham Flea Market
What:  Sports Cards and CD's
How Much?:  $18

Purchase #1:  2015 Topps Archives Will Ferrell $5


I typically avoid overpaying on "flavor of the month" sports cards, but this card was too cool to pass up.


Purchase #2:  2015 Topps Archives Base Cards $3


I picked this up off of the same guy who sold me the Will Ferrell.  All of the rookie cards and inserts were pulled, however this purchase allowed me to finally get my hands on some Topps Archives at an affordable price


Purchase #3:  2015 Donruss Gwynn Tribute Set $2



Do you believe in destiny?  I do.  Marcus wrote about this set last Wednesday and three days later... I own it too.  This was the third and final purchase from the Will Ferrell guy.  I found these in his dollar bin, but he gave me a bulk discount since I already spent a hefty eight dollars with him.


Purchase #4:  1985 Topps Wax Packs $4


There were four guys in a row with cards who knew each other and set up together.  There was the non-sports guy on the left.  Then the Will Ferrell guy.  Next to him was the "high end" and bobble head dude.

And on the far right was the guy with unopened boxes and packs.  Most of his stuff was priced too high, but I decided to pick these up for a future Flash(p)ack Friday post.  Stay tuned to see if I pull a Clemens, Puckett, or McGwire rookie card.


Purchase #5:  Compact Discs $4

Once upon a time, I collected CD's too.  I haven't purchased any in years, but a few days ago I bought the Goo Goo Dolls Greatest Hits on eBay for seven dollars and some change.

Now normally I don't even bother looking at people's used CD's while walking around the flea market, but I liked the way this guy had his organized in alphabetical order.  Plus his stuff was in great condition.  He wanted $1 each (not sure if that's a good flea market price or not), but told me that I could have five for $4 or ten for $7.

His selection was pretty awesome, but I already owned most of it.  Here's what I ended up finding...












A nice mixture of 70's and 80's rock and pop.  My only problem is I'm not sure if I really want to start buying CD's again.  Is this a door I really want to reopen?  Ugh.  The dilemmas we're faced with in life.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

12 comments:

Tony L. said...

How many CDs do you own?

Zippy Zappy said...

You could go on the full on hipster route and go with vinyl, cassette tapes or, dare I say it, 8-tracks.

Commishbob said...

Doobie Bros album is awesome.

Do what ZZ suggests, go for a vinyl collection. And kiss your budget goodbye.
-signed
"Mr. Been There"

Matt said...

Sweet finds! Nice looking Gwynn set!

I hated the Goo Goo Dolls in the 90's, but love their stuff now. Funny how times change as you age.

Anonymous said...

Def Leppard says "I gotta have more cowbell!"

BobWalkthePlank said...

Just wait a few more years and cd's will make a comeback.

GCA said...

Still have 200+ CDs (that I hardly use), but I can't recall ever buying music digitally. Mostly listen to satellite radio in the car.....
And they're all still in the jewel cases. Can't stand those binder things.

Mark Hoyle said...

Besides cards I also collect music. Have about 3000 albums, 10,000 cd's. Only have a couple hundred cassettes. I would mak ZZ proud because I also collect 8 tracks. Have about 500. Still have a working 8 track player. Luckily being a general contractor/ carpenter I have built a room with custom cabinetry to hold everything.

barry said...

I will try to guess some of the cards you pull from the 1985 Topps packs. Dave Winfield All-Star, Dale Murphy, Dave Stieb, Joe Niekro, Dick Howser, George Bell, Mike Boddicker All-Star, Larry Bowa, Mark Davis, Shane Mack OLY, Ken Griffey Sr. Dale Berra, Kent Tekulve, And last but not least a Kirby Puckett.

Unknown said...

CD's have no physical value, the content is digital the covers, well they aint LP's are they.

Fuji said...

tony - maybe 350? about 300 of them are in jewel cases, the others are in a binder i carry in my car.

zippy - lol... i have picked up an lp here and there. and i still own about 30 of my cassette tapes from back in the day. as for 8-track, i'd pick one up if the band and price were right.

commish - yeah... lip's can get expensive. i've been trying to track down the beastie boys "license to ill" album and they're so expensive. :(

sports card collectors - had the craving to listen to black balloon, so i ran out and bought the who cd ;)

shlatbotnik - hell yeah! i'm always down for more cowbell, ever since listening to blue oyster cult.

matthew - lol... maybe. i just noticed one of my students pegs his pants like i did back in the mid 80's. i guess everything comes back at some point.

gca - it feels weird buying a song digitally. i think i've done it a handful of times for my class, but normally i just use YouTube or Pandora.

mr. hoyle - wow. that's flippin' awesome! i need to leave teaching and become a general contractor

barry - we'll seen soon enough. i'll bust them within the next two weeks. hope you're right about puckett ;)

mj - lol. true. but cd's were a piece of my childhood

Jafronius said...

nice purchases...the farrell card was a bit much, but considering you got a bunch of base cards for $3 it all evens out.