30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Truly Priceless


According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of the word "priceless" is too valuable to have a price or not to be bought at any price.

Today's post focuses on some truly priceless collectibles... at least to me.  In fact when my parents started to ask my siblings and I about what we wanted to be passed down to them, the only things that came to mind were my father's hole-in-one golf balls.

My father always said he was too small to play sports like baseball, basketball, and football... so he stuck to sports like boxing, bowling, skiing, and golf.  And out of those four... I think most people will remember him for his love of golf.

I'm sure it played a part in my parent's decision to retire in Las Vegas.  They bought a house in Summerlin and although it wasn't located right on the golf course... it was literally a stone's throw away.


Now I won't presume that every golfer's dream is to hit a hole-in-one, but I know I hope I do one day.  I've come three inches away... but I'm still waiting for my day in the sun.  My father waited decades, but exactly twenty-two years ago... on December 27th, 2001... he finally sunk his first hole-in-one.  It happened on the 12th hole at the Eagle Crest Golf Course... which happens to be less than 1,000 feet from their doorstep.

Last summer, it was obvious that my father wasn't going to be going back there to live... so we took a family vacation with all of his children and grandchildren.  I showed off some of the items I brought back in a post back in July, but I intentionally left the golf balls out of it.

That's because they deserve a post of their own.  Here is Papa Fuji's first hole-in-one ball:


Less than a year later on August 24, 2002... he shot his second and final hole-in-one at another local golf courseHighland Falls Golf Club.  Here's that ball:


What's cool about this one is he had all of his buddies who were there sign it.  This is a little out of the ordinary, since my father never understood my obsession with autographs.  But he was thoughtful enough to sign this photo years ago for me:


Yup.  Priceless.

What's funny is what's priceless to me... is meaningless to others... since outside of me and possibly a few family members... none of the items in this post hold any monetary or sentimental value.  But that's okay, because the aren't for sale anyways.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

Very cool.

Dennis said...

Those are a cool way to remember Papa Fuji. Also, ONE hole-in-one is impressive, but two? Wow! Great idea taking him back there with the family.

Michael D said...

Awesome memories and what a priceless keepsake for you!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wow! Papa Fuji was amazing. Such a great post! Those are priceless for sure!!

mr haverkamp said...

Your father's swing was technically fantastic; amazing shoulder turn!

MrMopar said...

My dad passed away in 2012. He never took up golfing and I don't know if he ever golfed at all, but he bowled. He rolled a 300 game as a senior league bowler and I have the items associated with that game. Priceless!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Not just priceless, but precious! I love golf, suck at it (haven't played since Jan. 1, 2013) that was my best game ever. No holes in one's for me but still my best round. The next day the dentist plopped me back too hard and fast and sent my back into um....nightmare. Took 15 months to get over that and haven't played golf since because I was afraid of messing my back up again. I'm over that fear now, so maybe when it warms up I'll get back out there and get me a hole in one too. No wait get two holes in one.

GTT said...

That's very special.

The Lost Collector said...

Thanks for sharing such an awesome story! So cool that he had two of 'em. Keep shooting...you'll get yours! I love that he had his buddies sign the second ball. Those are some incredible keepsakes you have!

I play regularly but have yet to have one. Hopefully I get a lucky bounce one day.

Fuji said...

the angels in order - thanks. definitely a conversation piece in my home

dennis - we originally thought it might be overwhelming to see us clean out the home, but he really enjoyed it. i think the hardest part was seeing certain things (not taken by family members) and left for the estate sale.

michael d - sure is. glad he dated those balls, because my memory sucks :D

sumomenkoman - i'll always remember my father for being a hard worker... so when he did something, it was full of passion. so when it came to golf, he was very passionate

mr haverkamp - damn. he would have loved to hear that. i know you are really into golf, so that means a lot

mrmopar - wow that is awesome! my dad loved bowling too... but doubt he ever came close to 300. we bowled in a league together and we were both 130 to 150 guys at the time.

johnnys trading spot - that totally sucks. i can't imagine laying in pain at the dentist office. did he still clean your teeth that day? hope you get back out there soon. well... when it warms up.

gtt - thanks. they are truly special

the lost collector - i'm glad you said "lucky bounce", because as much as skill helps you get the ball in the area of the hole on a more regular basis... i think luck plays into it too. i took my friend out onto the executive course and she hit a hole-in-one the first time she ever played 9 holes. we were at hole #4 at the santa teresa golf course which sit on top of a hill. she slapped the ball down the hill but didn't see where it went. as we walked towards the green... we couldn't find the ball, so she checked the hole. and yup... it was in there. talk about a great golf story for her.

The Snorting Bull said...

Very cool keepsake!

ned said...

Great Post and a perfect description of priceless.

Fuji said...

the snorting bull - thanks

ned - maybe mastercard will hire me :D

gcrl said...

that's a great item to have! i may steal the idea.

Uncle Charlie's Shoebox said...

Great post! I can completely relate to this. My dad died back in 2013 of a sudden and massive heart attack. After I graduated from college in 1999 he and I were able to get many rounds in together. I still have the golf ball from a round we played where I got my first eagle. Really treasure those rounds I got to play with him.

Jon said...

I always enjoy reading about/seeing personal keepsakes like these on the blogs; though there are surprisingly few posts that ever contain such things.