30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Family Heirlooms and a Minor Delay

This is the busiest summer in decades... and that includes the twenty-plus years I taught summer school.  My father moved back to the Bay Area a few months ago... and we recently went back to his house in Las Vegas to clean it out and prepare it for sale/rent.

The process was both physically and mentally exhausting, while also being an eye-opening experience that hopefully inspires some changes in my own life.

Today... I just wanted to share a few items I brought home with me...


First up is this shoji lamp that Papa Fuji made decades ago.  He was pretty handy when it came to building stuff.  He's made everything from cabinets to craps tables and little things in between like this lamp.

Space at my place is very limited, so I knew before going down to Vegas that I had to be very picky when deciding on what to take.  This family heirloom was one of two no-brainers.

The other is this wall decoration:


With my father's memory in limbo... the history of this piece is a little blurry.  I'm pretty sure it was either passed down from my grandparents or possibly blessed by my grandfatherMaybe both?


My parents had a pair of Hisashi Otsuka framed prints hanging on their walls.  My sister wanted one of them... and asked if I was interested in the other.  Although I don't really have any place to hang it up... I wanted it to stay in the family, so I grabbed it.

The last three items are San Francisco 49ers collectibles that I gave my parents years ago...


I wasn't the only collector in the family.  Back in the 90's, my mom went through a Beanie Baby phase.  I bought her this Jerry Rice bear back when I was working at the LCS in the late 90's.  I needed that job to help supplement my income when I was just starting out in the classroom.

That's also where I bought this Joe Montana signed print:

Upper Deck Authenticated

I always wondered where they put this frame.  My niece discovered it buried in one of the closets in my dad's bedroom.  I doubt this thing has seen daylight in over twenty years.

The final item is this custom display piece I made for my dad:

1999 Kenner SLU
1992 Pro Set #651

I took one of those puck and card holders, removed the puck holder, and replaced it with a Kenner Starting Lineup.  The autograph was the final piece of the puzzle.  It spent the past twenty-plus years sitting on my dad's desk.

Now I need to find a place for it in my office.

That leads me to a quick life update.  I've been extremely busy the past three weeks, but don't worry.  I haven't forgotten about shipping out all of those PWE's filled with Gwynns.  They'll hopefully be shipped out sooner than later.

As it stands, I have all of the cards in the temporary holders and they are ready to be slid into PWE's.


Here's a list of people who requested a Gwynn care package:

Ken Hawthorne
Laurens
Brett Alan (need address)
Elliptical Man
John Sharp
Vroomed
Crh614 (need address)
Jafronius
Bo
DRMustang
Hackenbush
jlcre2003

I'm pretty sure I got everyone.  If you wanted one and don't see your name... shoot me an email with your shipping addressBrett Alan and Crh614... I need your addresses as well.

And rounding out this post is the obligatory baseball card of the day:

2000 Bowman Chrome DP&P #4

This graded rookie card of Barry Zito was part of a Reader X care package from last yearWhy show him off now?  Well... since our family just wrapped up another chapter in Las Vegas, I wanted to show off a player with ties to the city.  Zito was born there back in 1978.

Thanks for the card XavierThank you to all of you who are patiently waiting for your Gwynn care packages.  And thank you to everyone else who took the time to read this post.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

19 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

The Montana signed print wins the round.

The Angels In Order said...

It's nice to have a few family keepsakes. I have a few odd things like the old clay toothpick holder one of us made in elementary school, the cranberry dish my mom got out every Thanksgiving, and a green elephant bobblehead piggybank my dad had for years. I think one of us kids gave it to him when we were all little.

Grant said...

Glad you're keeping some items in the family. Your Jerry Rice SLU makes me want to acquire more.

Dennis said...

I'm glad you're able to make space for a few items. Papa Fuji made a great looking lamp!

The Big Kahuna said...

It is not an easy task my friend. The Otsuka print is very beautiful!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

It's all good!

Bo said...

I don't know if you saw the comments on my blog when I asked your question about 19 cards in a PWE - sounds like 18 on two forever stamps is OK but 19/20 might push it on the weight. Might depend on how you pack it. It's possible two non-machineable stamps might cut it.

Very cool stuff from your father!

sg488 said...

I love the Montana Authenticed, if you can't find a place for it and put it up on ebay ,I will definitely make a bid.

Brett Alan said...

Address sent.

Chris said...

I always enjoy seeing SLU displays (and the autographed items are impressive!) but those family mementos are stunning. Good on you for taking them home; I'm sure you'll find a place for that print.

The Lost Collector said...

Awesome to see these. Love the Rice SLU display.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Definitely nice spending summer with family. Always weird to be clearing out a home but there's also something comforting about touching all those things again.

Jon said...

Has your dad been diagnosed with anything, or is it just the usual failing memory that so many folks experience as they grow older?

Fuji said...

elliptical man - very happy to add another montana autograph to my collection

the angels in order - those are some very cool family keepsakes. i really like how they tie into your childhood. i made a key rack for my parents when i was in elementary school... and it's now hanging up in my garage.

grant - collecting slus are fun... but they take up a lot of space. i ended up opening up the bulk of my collection, keeping the cards, and tossing the figures into ziploc bags

dennis - i still need to hang up both of those framed art pieces. hopefully i'll get around to that sooner than later

the big kahuna - it was challenging indeed. but at least my father took it well. we were worried the cleaning process might overwhelm him... but it didn't even phase him

johnnys trading spot - :D

bo - i ended up putting a non-machineable stamp, 2 forever stamps, plus 2 extra ounce stamps on each PWE. hope that does the job. they're going out today (friday 7/28)

sg488 - sorry... it's staying in the family. i'm not a fan of the niners... but keeping it to honor my parent's fanfare

brett alan - got it. pwe will be shipped out today (friday 7/28)

the lost collector - the slu actually fell off. gotta go get some gorilla glue and fix it

nick vossbrink - yeah... it was definitely a weird experience. it was even weirder thinking that i might never spend the night in that house again

jon - he's seen a couple of neurologists. nothing concrete yet.
scans suggest he might have suffered from a stroke or series of strokes. plus dementia and alzheimer's runs in our family.

Jafronius said...

Great finds sir! Those family heirlooms will get you every time.

Anonymous said...

Those are keepsakes!
Matt-CardsOverCoffee

The Snorting Bull said...

That's a great looking lamp. As I have gotten older, I have decided that I really hate big overhead lights. I blame working at a school. Anyway, I am all in on lamps at the moment. Have them in every room of my house at the moment and have also bought five or six for my classroom, along with some colored LED lights. My eyes have been loving the change. The art work and Niners stuff looks cool too.

RunForeKelloggs said...

That is a great Starting Lineup.

Fuji said...

jafronius - thank you sir! yes they do. there were even more smaller items and my father's coin collection that i might show off one day.

matt cards over coffee - indeed they are!

the snorting bull - that's cool what you're doing with the lamps. i have them around my house as well... but don't have any in my classroom. when i taught elementary, i had a little reading area with bean bags and two lamps. the kids loved it.

runforekelloggs - now if i can only track down the 1989 joe montana slu i gave him :D