30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Another Trip Down Memory Lane


What a difference a year makes.  On this day... exactly one year ago... Papa Fuji and I took a short road trip to Capitola for breakfast and then up the Pacific Coast Highway to Half Moon Bay for some clam chowder in a bread bowl.

Along the way, we noticed a gorgeous lighthouse in the distance... so we pulled over and took this photo:


We also walked across the field, checked out the water and view, then headed back to the car where I took this photo of him:


If the photo looks cropped... that's because it is.  Right as we were getting ready to take his picture someone pulled in.

Afterwards, we stopped at the lighthouse... but it was pretty packed.  So I dropped my dad off and let him walk around, while I drove around looking for a parking spot.  I ended up finding one a little north where I snapped this photo:


San Jose and the surrounding cities are indeed congested... but it's nice to know that about an hour away is a view like this.

We eventually made our way up to Half Moon Bay... and it's a trip I'll treasure.

Let's fast forward six months to this past January... and while reading a post on Nick Vossbrink's blog (n j w v), I saw this beautiful piece of cardboard:

1911 Hassan Light House Series T77

I immediately added it to my eBay watchlist.  Several months went by and one popped up with a reasonable price tag.  As luck would have it... it was a COMC listing, so I headed over to their site, made the seller an offer of $5.65 which he/she accepted.  The rest is history.

Hopefully you enjoyed this quick trip down memory lane.  In addition to writing about sports cards, I also like to document important events in my life and this trip was one of them.

However... for those of you who came to see baseball cards... I don't want to disappoint.  Here are a pair of Pie Traynor cards:

1980-87 SSPC Baseball Immortals #55

1972 Kellogg's All-Time Baseball Greats #8

Pigeon Point Lighthouse is located in Pescadero... which is a small farming and ranching town with a population of less than 1,000.  Unfortunately there aren't any MLB players who were born and raised there.  But there is a popular restaurant called Duarte's Tavern that serves one of my favorite dessertsolallieberry pie.

What about you? 

What's your favorite dessert?

Yeah... yeah.  I know the Traynor thing is a stretch, but that's all I've got.  Unless you want to see a Felix Pie.  I think I might have a card of his laying around somewhere.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

13 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

Beautiful coastline. I'm from So. Cal. originally and miss the beach A LOT. As to favorite dessert I'd have to say cherry or apple pie.

Crocodile said...

Nice job with the photos and leveling out the horizon! As for a favorite dessert - cheesecake topped with cherries.

RunForeKelloggs said...

Cookies. And when we first got his cards we pronounced his name Ro-jazz (Cookie Rojas). It was a while before we heard his name on television.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Great story. The secret to a good happy life (I imagine) is to live life for those good memories. As for my favorite dessert....I haven't had it is probably a decade or close to it. That would be chocolate pudding cake. It is seasonal (the box mix) for it and my mother would buy the entire lot when she found them, lol. Christmas is coming so I'll have to be on the look out for the mix.

Brett Alan said...

So tough to choose, but I think I'm an ice cream guy at heart. Preferably chocolate with something like peanut butter in it.

John Sharp said...

Peach Pie is yummy.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Love it. Glad you got this for that price too. Is awesome. And you went to Half Moon Bay for chowder but didn't go to Barbara's?

The Lost Collector said...

Awesome view!

My favorite dessert is funfetti cake! I guess I am 12? But I never outgrew my love for it.

Matt said...

I've never heard of olallieberry pie before! Not a big pie person, but every year on my birthday my wife makes me a peanut butter pie. That's my favorite.

Fuji said...

the angels in order - every time is see people post photos of so cal beaches, i'm blown away by the beauty. i really need to go down there more often. cherry pie is definitely up there on my list

crocodile - cheesecake with cherries is a classic. haven't had it in years, but i'm sure i'll eat it again eventually

runforekelloggs - i'm pretty particular when it comes to cookies. but i will never turn down any that my sister-in-law makes

johnnys trading spot - never heard of chocolate pudding cake, but it sounds delicious. i wish i would have documented more memories with my parents. but at least i got to actually experience a bunch

brett alan - i'd say ice cream is my go-to dessert. can't go wrong with that

john sharp - peach pie is right up there with cherry. but my favorites would be olallieberry or apricot.

nick vossbrink - it was too crowded. but i've definitely been there before.

the lost collector - i guess i must have asked this question before... either that or there's someone else out there that likes funfetti cake too. or maybe i read about it on your blog?

matt - ooh. peanut butter pie sounds amazing. never had it, but would love to try it.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Ah true. Best bet with Barbara's is to get there before it opens.

Jon said...

Love this set! And I really love the reason behind your getting this particular card!

The Snorting Bull said...

That lighthouse card is sweet!

My favorite dessert is pecan pie with vanilla ice cream. Pecan pronounced pi-kan.