30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, December 23, 2023

Straight to the Point


It's been eleven days since my last post... and I've already dropped the ball on my blogger goal of publishing one post a week leading up to the holidays.  Had I taken a few minutes to look over the calendar, I would have been able foreseen this issue.

The week leading up to the holiday break is always a hectic.  There were two holiday parties (both work related)... dinner with some former students... end of the semester projects... and of course some last minute Christmas shopping for friends and family.

Plus my
brother is throwing his annual holiday party this afternoon, but before I head out for that... I'm going to hammer out a post.  That might sound like one of those fifteen minute posts, but anyone familiar with those... knows it's impossible for me to write a post in that timeframe.

That being said... I am going to make it as straight to the point as possible.

Today's post focuses on a pair of PWE's from Chris a.k.a. The Collector.  Both were sent to me earlier in the year.  One was right around the start of the MLB season... and the other during the summer.

Here's quick glance at what Chris packed into these envelopes:


There's a lot of cool stuff sitting in front of me... but since I've got less than two hours until I need to head over to my brother's... I'll focus on these ten:

#12019 Topps Chrome Update 150 Years of Professional Baseball #150C-4


Right out of the page, this card caught my eye.  Topps gave these inserts the "refractor" treatment, so it shines when you tilt it at the right angle.  It also features my second favorite baseball player of all-time... which is a nice bonus.

#21988-89 Fleer #42


Hate the playerLove the card.

#31977 Topps #495


I love me some vintage wax stained cards... especially when the feature a hobby favorite and owner of one of the coolest nicknames in sports history:

The Mad Hungarian

#42021-22 Upper Deck Allure #29


I apologize if this isn't the Yamamoto you were looking for... but I'm still very happy to add this card to my binder.

#51983 Fleer #326


Another hobby favorite... and my favorite relief pitcher from the early 80's.

#62022 Prestige Xtra Points Astral #387


I'm pretty sure I jinxed this guy.  A few months ago... Chris wrote a post featuring his franchise player picks for each NFC team.  I mentioned Mafe who was having a solid season up to that point.  Since then... not so much.

#7: 2022 Bowman #68


If you send me a card of Ohtani... I have to show it off.  I'm pretty sure it's an unwritten rule or something.

#81982 Topps #668


I was never a big Dale Murphy fan... but seeing this card (like the Tekulve) took me back to my childhood.


Plus it's a nice reminder that the 1982 Topps card backs were green and featured cool facts and cartoons.

#92018 Topps Big League Autographs #BLA-MO


Olson is a stud.  As sad as I was to hear that the Oakland A's traded him away... I'm super happy he's continued to grow and find success in Atlanta.

#101989-90 Fleer #78


There was a time when I would have rather owned an autograph of this guy than almost any other athlete in sports.  Back in the 80's... I was a huge fan of the Showtime Lakers... and Mr. Scott was my favorite player on the court.  I spent a lot of hours in middle school and high school, practicing my baseline jumper in an effort to emulate him.

Okay.  It's taken me over an hour just to scan and write this post.  I'm guessing it'll take another thirty minutes to edit, format, and publish.

Now do you understand why my focus in 2024 is to keep things "straight to the point"?

Thank you Chris for the pair of PWE's.  Sorry it took so long to open them up and write about them.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Dennis said...

Great stuff from Chris as always!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Nice PWE for sure!

Matt said...

Solid pwes!

Vintage Football Card Gallery said...

Wow, how many cards can you pack into a PWE? I think there are 28 in the second picture?

Chris said...

I thought this was going to be about the box I sent you a few weeks ago, lol. I'd forgotten all about these PWEs.

Hopefully you received the most recent mailing. Do *not* feel obligated to blog about it though. I know you've got a lot to catch up on. Merry Christmas!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

You know that I am LMAO.....you know it. :) Now about Mr. Olson, I felt the same way about losing Freddie. Still love the guy, but Mr. Olson has definitely held his own. I never kept his cards before, now I certainly do!

The Lost Collector said...

Merry Christmas, Fuji!

Fuji said...

vintage football card gallery - some of the cards from one pwe could have crossed over to the other. but based on the photos there were 51 cards (23 + 28), which means he averaged 25.5 cards per pwe.

chris - sorry it took so long to open these up. i indeed received the box you sent. haven't open that up yet, but hope too during my break. the plan is opening up one package (if they're a box) at a time... and immediately writing about it. in the past, i'd open up stuff put them into stacks on my desk... but sometimes i'd forget who sent me what.

johnnys trading spot - honestly... i feel bad for oakland players. if they are really good, they never know when they'll be traded away. and the everyday player has a less than average shot at winning. it's pretty sad. so i'm glad olson landed on a winning team.

the lost collector - merry christimas!

Jon said...

It might take you a while to get back into the swing of things. And even if you didn't, and continued to only post once every 11 days, that would still be a lot better than not posting at all.

Fuji said...

jon - while i'm on the holiday break, i've been getting some stuff lined up to blog... so things will be getting published. the issue will be to keep the ball rolling once i'm back in the classroom. i actually have a bunch of stuff from flea market finds to a card show haul that i'd like to share. fingers crossed.