30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, January 27, 2020

No Shame In Crying

When I heard about the helicopter crash that took Kobe Bryant's life, along with the lives of eight others including his 13 year old daughter... I was shocked.  I didn't believe it.  Or maybe... I didn't want to believe it.

1998-99 Topps Autographs #AG2
2009-10 Crown Royale King of the Court Materials #10
1996-97 Skybox EX2000 #30

I went into my office, closed the door, and started scanning cards I purchased at the card show the day before.  It didn't take long for other friends to start texting me the news and checking in to see if I was okay.  Most of my close friends know that once upon a time... I was a longtime Los Angeles Lakers fan and Kobe was my favorite player.

I replied the same thing each timeI'm in shock.  And down inside, I was hoping that it was just a rumor or "fake news".

2002-03 Upper Deck UD Game Jersey Patch Number #KB-P#

After about four hours, my back could no longer take the sitting down, so I went downstairs and decided to see if ESPN had published anything.  They had.  It started to sink in as I read their article.  Simultaneously, I thought about my mom.  I thought about Tony Gwynn who was another favorite athlete of mine taken away way too soon.  And I thought about my students who are about the same age as his daughter.  That's when the eyes started to tear up.

1996-97 Fleer Metal #181
1996-97 Collector's Choice Team Set #LA2

The article led to me to search out the moment of silence before the Denver/Houston game on YouTube.  Then I watched the Raptors and Spurs each run out the 24 second clock to honor The Black Mamba.  And that's when I lost it.

1996-97 Topps #138
1996-97 Bowman's Best #R23
1996-97 Upper Deck #58

I was a complete wreck.  I can't even begin to imagine what Kobe's daughters, wife, family members, and friends are going through during this time of sorrow.  But my heart goes out to all of the families and friends of the victims of yesterday's tragic accident.

1996-97 UD3 #19
1996-97 Hoops #281

Rest in peace Kobe and sayonara.



Overtime

By the way, my apologies to Adam (ARPSmith's Sportscard Obsession) and John (Johnny's Trading Spot).  I've received both of your packages and will try to publish a recap in the very near future.  Very sorry for the delay.

12 comments:

Chris said...

I couldn't believe it either. Spent the whole evening watching and reading the tributes, hearing all the stories about those who knew him well. I'm heartbroken for his family and fans, and the families of the other victims. R.I.P. Mamba :*(

bbcardz said...

I'm still in shock. Today at noon Pacific, all of the LA area radio station had a one minute and eight second period of radio silence in tribute to Kobe. It's so sad. I even briefly met him back in the late 90's back when I used to work at the Forum in Inglewood.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

No shame at all. Life can throw us a spitball out of nowhere. All I can come up with is just tell someone you care about that you love them.

Henry Blanchette said...

I both couldn't and didn't want to believe the news when I saw it. ESPN has tweeted, televised, and posted on YouTube a plethora of touching tributes for Kobe. Virtually every team did some sort of tribute (like the 24-second violation), and everyone is shaken up.

I can't stand, by the way, that TMZ reported the tragedy before his family was informed. Makes me sick.

Fuji said...

chris - the tributes were very touching. and hearing about how he touched the lives of so many lives have been eye-opening.

bbcardz - kudos to them. the local sports radio here covered kobe on my drive in to work... and on my drive home as well. it was nice to hear so many great (and positive) stories about him from a variety of fans and broadcasters

johnnys trading spot - very true. we never know when we're going to go... or when one of our loved ones will. gotta appreciate our time together while we're both here

henry planchette - i hadn't heard about tmz reporting it before the family was informed. that's terrible. oh man... that makes me sick too.

SumoMenkoMan said...

It is hard to believe still. An icon gone way too early.

Big Tone said...

R.I.P.

The Lost Collector said...

That's a really impressive collection. I was collecting a lot of basketball then, and have no idea how my only Kobe RC is the Collector's Choice one.

Fuji said...

sumomenkoman - so true. seems surreal.

big tone - indeed

the lost collector - thanks. he was my favorite player, but i never invested a ton of money on his cards. and a lot of the graded rookie cards were picked up within the past 12 months in anticipation of him making the hall of fame.

The Bucs Stop Here said...

Still processing all of this myself. Gut wrenching. That’s an awesome Kobe collection you have. I wish I grabbed an auto of his. Cherish those cards and those memories. RIP Mamba.

Fuji said...

the bucs stop here - today is the first day that i haven't come home and sat down to watch tributes. but i definitely thought about him a few times throughout the day. i wish i had grabbed more of his autographs too. i was telling my friend a few months ago, that i wanted to get 8 of them... but don't think that'll ever happen. i will continue to buy his cards here and there when i can afford them

Matt said...

I saw the TMZ report minutes after it posted and i was like...what?! Then I searched twitter for more answers such as Sportscenter etc and nobody reported it. Then I just had to keep going back to check and more and more then started to confirm it.. Sad day for basketball and even more so for his wife and kids.