30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, January 28, 2019

Updated Reading List

Just because I collect what I want to collect... doesn't mean that people don't influence my purchasesA few weeks ago, Adam wrote a book review on Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic by Jason Turnbow over on his blogARPSmith's Sportscard Obsession.

After reading his post, I immediately headed over to Amazon and purchased this:


It arrived a few days ago and I'm excited to dive into it at some point, because it seems really interesting.  The problem is I have a bunch of items currently on my reading list.  There are two books sitting on my iPad and a bunch of different sports card magazines that were sent to me by a generous collector back in November.  Plus there are the two different Beckett magazines I recently purchase along with the two Baseball Digests sitting on my dining room table.

The bottom line is... I'm a little backed up.  But I'm not complaining.  More reading material is far better than no reading material.

In fact, Julie over at A Cracked Bat sent me a care package last week and inside there were two Texas Rangers programs and a baseball magazine from the early 2000's.


I've already started diving into this magazine.  It reminds me of the Street and Smith's Baseball Yearbooks my mother would buy me when I was a kid.  There are team reviews, tons of statistics, position reviews, and hidden among these pages was this one of a kind sketch by Julie herself:


Unfortunately... this is a PG rated blog, so I'm unable to show you the goodies hidden beneath those post-it notes.

However I thought I'd share this little snippit from the magazine:


Interesting that while talking about players with a chance to break Hank Aaron's home run record, there's no mention of Barry Lamar Bonds.  Can't wait to read more interesting things from eighteen years ago.

Julie also included these two Texas Rangers baseball game programs:


Both programs involve the Oakland A's.  The one on the left has an article about Eric Chavez that I'm looking forward to reading:


While the other program has a section dedicated to the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame:


Can't wait to read more about guys like Buddy Bell, Jeff Burroughs, and Will Clark.

And just in case you were wondering... yeah... she sent cards too.  Here's a six pack of current and former Oakland Athletics:


Plus there was an oddball issue for my San Diego Padres collection:

1992 Topps McDonald's #2

I have a few singles from this set... but I might need to track down a complete set one of these days.  As for Santiago, I remember him for that hitting streak early in his career and his ability to throw out runners from his knees.  Good times.

I saved my favorite card for last:

2018 Topps Chrome Update #52

Attention Topps:  If by chance you stumble across this post, congratulations on the production of this card.  This is what I want my baseball cards to look like.

Thank you Julie for this generous care package!  I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the 2001 baseball magazine and the two programs.  You've been added to the list.  Best of luck on your job hunt!  Hope you find something you truly love.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Section 36 said...

That's a ton of great stuff in that care package!

Collecting Cutch said...

Awesome stuff. I didn't know Maz had his own magazine. Very interesting

bamlinden said...

They say “Don’t judge a book by its cover”?....well I’m judging. That book looks like a fun page flipper.

Are you by chance on Goodreads?

Peter K Steinberg said...

Julie is awesome. Email me the link to your R rated blog. Thanks.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Fun reading ahead!

The Lost Collector said...

The A's book has an incredible title!

Matt said...

Only reading I do now is blogs. Don’t feel like picking up books anymore like I used to when I was younger

Fuji said...

section 36 - i know. that 2001 baseball magazine has been awesome entertainment.

collecting cutch - me either. it's really been fun reading the team reviews.


bamlinden - they did a great job with that cover. i've heard of goodreads on youtube, but haven't used the site. i'm honestly not a very big reader when it comes to books.

peter k steinberg - i will do. but you might need to wait another twelve to fifteen years. i'm gonna start that one after retirement

cardboard jones - the have slightly used paperback copies on ebay for under $9. looking forward to reading it eventually

sumomenkoman - i've got enough reading material sitting at home to last a few years. plus one day, i want to go back and reread all of the classics i read back in high school and college

the lost collector - totally agree. love that cover!

sport card collectors - me too. although i try to read at least one or two book each year. much rather read blogs than books.