30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Two Oddballs Hooked Up and Had a Baby

There are few things in life that I enjoy more than collecting cardsFood is one of them.  And when it comes to food, one of my favorite things to eat is cereal.  In the past week or so, I've eaten it for breakfast two or three times and dinner once.  There's always a box sitting in my classroom when I'm in need of a quick snack.

Now if you're a regular to this blog, then I'm sure you know my infatuation with Kellogg's lenticular cards.  I've professed my love for them on numerous occasions.  Anyways a few days ago, I started thinking about which Kellogg's cereals I enjoy the most and surprisingly... I couldn't think of a single one I buy on a regular basis.

Do I enjoy Frosted Flakes?  Sure.  But if I'm going to buy something sugary, it's going to be Cinnamon Toast Crunch, which is made by General MillsGeneral Mills also produces Cheerios, which has been a household staple of mine for decades.  The only other cereal that I'll buy every once in awhile is Life.  That's produced by Quaker Oats.

I guess it's a good thing that we're not required to collect cereal oddball issues based on the cereal that we actually consume.  If that were the case, I wouldn't have purchased this 1970 Kellogg's Clemente for my collection:


This card has been on my wantlist for years.  1970 Kellogg's is by far my favorite set Kellogg's design.  It's as if the 1964 Topps Giants and 1968 Topps 3D hooked up and had a baby.  It's beautiful.

As for Clemente... do I really need to explain why I targeted him?  The guy is a hero.


His legacy was built on a hall of fame career, but personally I admire him more for his charity work and selfless contributions to societyAthletes have never been my role models, but if I were forced to pick one, Clemente would be on a very short list of names.

Well that's it for today.  Here are your questions of the day...

What's you favorite cereal?

Did you look up to any athletes growing up?  If so who and why?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

14 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

I picked up the 70 Kellogg’s set in 1972 for 9 bucks and a couple of box tops. One of my favorite sets all time.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

now that was a sweet deal.

night owl said...

I rarely eat cereal anymore, mostly because I get up way beyond breakfast time and I always prefer lunch to breakfast.

However, if they stuck cards back into cereal boxes, that would get me to eat it again.

Angus said...

Beautiful card!

Haven't had a nice flavorful, sugary cereal in a while. :( The cereal that I do eat now is Bran Buds, which I mix into yogurt to give it a bit of a crunch. Sigh.

But, yes, cards would get me back into buying cereal.

As a kid, I admired Gary Carter. He was/is my hero. I admired how he played, his joy of the game, and the fact that I never heard bad stories about him interacting with fans and kids.

acrackedbat said...

I eat Raisin Bran occasionally but am not much of a breakfast eater. As a kid in the 70s, I was more interested in the toy found inside the box. That determined the cereal Mom purchased. I only wish I'd found cards in the 70s. As far as athletes, there were none I specifically looked up to but can remember being crazy about Pete Rose's moppy hair. I was maybe 6 or 7.

The Shlabotnik Report said...

I guess the best compliment I can pay is to tell you I'm jealous of you having this card. Are you going for the complete set?

I've never really singled out one particular athlete as a hero or role model. I guess I've always been an "I like them all in different ways" person, from the Mets to the Beatles to the characters of Star Trek.

The cereal I currently enjoy most is probably Froot Loops. For the record, the cereals I eat most often are shredded wheat and Cheerios.

GCA said...

'70 Kelloggs is the best of those sets. And was fun to complete.

I really like Special K Noutrish with the peaches, berries, and yogurty probiotic pieces in it. But as a bachelor, I do keep things like Captain Crunch, Honeycomb, or Lucky Charms in there as well. I regimentally eat cereal every morning, and sometimes for dinner Tuesdays when pool runs late and I don't eat there.

PS- Fuji, I just posted the hockey box.

Brett Alan said...

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is indeed a very underrated cereal. I also dig Cap'n Crunch, Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes, and Alpha Bits. And I often buy the generic or Malt-O-Meal versions because that's how I roll.

The Lost Collector said...

All time I have to say Count Chocula. I haven't had it in years but I'd definitely still eat it.

I've been rocking Honey Bunches of Oats lately.

defgav said...

Sweet Clemente!

Growing up in San Diego, Tony Gwynn was pretty much universally revered.

I might go with Crackin' Oat Bran as my favorite cereal these days, but it's expensive and never seems to go on sale, so I only treat myself to it once in a blue moon.

Paul Hadsall said...

That is a beautiful card!

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is my cereal of choice when I go that route, but I usually have fruit or a muffin for breakfast instead.

I was (and still am) a big Gary Carter fan. Very few players showed as much joy playing baseball as Carter did.

Nick said...

I've really never been much of a cereal guy at any point in my life (which might have something to do with the fact that I only eat breakfast maybe three times a year). Clemente was the "legend" guy I grew up idolizing, and wow is that Kellogg's card terrific. Don't think I even knew it existed before this post.

Chris said...

Sweet Clemente card! I'm assuming that's a tough find in high grade.

I don't know if I have a favorite breakfast cereal, but Raisin Bran Crunch and Frosted Flakes are usually my go-to choices. I've got two young girls, so there's always a nice selection of cereal in our kitchen.

I'm trying to remember if I had a specific favorite athlete as a kid..probably none that I really admired for what they did off the field, in the way that Clemente, Muhammad Ali, and a select few others are.

Fuji said...

mark hoyle - i'm so jealous. i'd love to one day build a non-cracked set of these. gonna start with this clemente and slowly pick off some hall of famers.

john miller - thanks. i like it so much... i can sit around and just stare at it.

night owl - cards inside cereal boxes would make the world a better place.

angus - bran buds? never heard of it. i sometimes buy grapenuts and throw that into my yogurt. yeah, i don't recall ever hearing anything negative about carter either. i still enjoy picking up an expos card of him from time to time

julie owens - gotta admit... once upon a time i chose my cereal the same way.

the shlabotnik report - I'm thinking about building it. The problem is they aren't cheap... and this would be the one set that I'd want to build w/o cracks. It might end up being a work in progress.

gca -you completed it? super jealous. i just saw that special k with the peaches. i might grab it the next time i go grocery store

brett alan - ooh. alpha bits is a good call. haven't eaten that in years

the lost collector -don't think i've eaten count chocula since the 80's

defgav -crackin' oat bran doesn't appeal to me. but i might them a shot one day

paul hadsall - if sugar wasn't an issue, i'd eat cinnamon toast crunch two meals a day

nick -three times a year? breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

chris - muhammad ali was big in the 90's. i don't think i ever watched him box live, but he was a legend right about the time i really started collecting.