30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Cardboard Graffiti

Life is full of perspectives and the way you look at something can change in a heartbeat depending on circumstances.

Graffiti is a perfect example.  When done with pride, it can be breathtaking and draw rave reviews.  On the other hand, if the artist chose your backyard fence as his/her canvas... then you might not appreciate it as much as others.

I recently purchased this 1986 Topps Dwight Gooden card:


Upon first glance, some might see a piece of cardboard that's been defaced with orange paint pen.

However I see things from a completely different perspective.  I see one of my favorite 1986 Topps baseball cards signed by the man himself with a '86 Champs inscription.  I also see a card that was destined to be featured on a pre-Halloween post with its black and orange theme.

What about you?

What do you see?

I hope all of you have a safe and entertaining Halloween tomorrow.  Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

10 comments:

The Lost Collector said...

One of the best graffiti sets to me in 1993-94 Fleer basketball. Great set.

I like the Golden auto...I think it's unique and for that, I approve.

Nick Vossbrink said...

86 Champs on an 86 card is pretty cool. I've always liked signed cards to the point where facsimile autos on cards kind of bother me since it means the card doesn't look as nice signed.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

nice card in deed.

Brian said...

Oh, they called him "Doc" because of his handwriting! I see.

Just kidding, that's a fantastic find. Gooden was one of the best of the 80s!

GCA said...

I like his signature - it's definitely distinctive. Reminds me of my Score Pro-Visions that I had him sign in silver paint. Looks cool.

Baltmoss68 said...

No crazy about his sloppy looking sig, but I like the inscription and the choice of card. It’s historically significant. I’d be happy with something similar in my own collection.

Fuji said...

TLC - Fleer definitely made an improvement over the 91/92 and 92/93 designs... that's for sure.

Nick Vossbrink - I think sometimes card companies utilize the facsimile because they understand their card design is too plain without it. But I agree... facsimiles ruin an opportunity for a player to sign a card.

John Miller - Thanks.

Brian - Yeah... his autograph is weird. Never understood what his scribbles even represent.

GCA - His autograph is very unique, but I never figured out how anyone gets Dwight or Doc Gooden from it.

Baltmoss68 - The actually card was the key for me. Really love the photo they used on this card. The fact that they were 86 champions is a nice bonus.

arpsmith said...

Love the card, nice pick up!

Big Tone said...

I've hardly ever seen an orange sight on a card,pretty cool.I just recently watched the 88 all star game on youtube,someone uploaded the entire game!Gooden was the NL starter.One of the best decisions I've made in a long time.Even though Gooden was dealing,youd be happy to know Steinbach took him deep in that one ,nearly caught at the wall by none other than Darryl Strawberry.

Big Tone said...

*sig