30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Stood The Test of Time

The Human Vacuum Cleaner.  Depending on your point of view, that could be either one of the worst or greatest nicknames ever.

If you're Brooks Robinson, then the nickname speaks to his ability to field just about any ball hit in his direction.  In fact, when I think about the best defensive infielders of all-time, he's the first person to pop into my head.

That's why I had to bid on this autographed card of his two weeks ago when I stumbled across it on eBay:

2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Leather Gold Ink #SPS-BR (#'d 09/50)

Kudos to Upper Deck for having him sign this faux swatch of glove with gold ink.  It immediately made me think of his sixteen consecutive Gold Glove Awards.  Adding Memorial Stadium in the background was a nice touch.

I realize that Sweet Spot Signatures has received a lot of negative press over the years with their fading autographs.  However this card proves that some of their signatures have stood the test of time.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

8 comments:

Chris said...

Awesome card, that auto should definitely hold up better than most in the set. 2007 Sweet Spot Classic is one of my two or three favorite sets for autos and memorabilia cards. The stadium backgrounds are great, even when the autos aren't.

gcrl said...

I agree with Chris. A great set, and the leather and wood surfaces offer up some great looking autos

GCA said...

One of the best sets ever. I'm several big money swatches away from the single relic set. And one of my "white whales" would be a starter set of the base cards (/575).

Baltmoss68 said...

Awesome card and auto! Brooks is one of the finest gentlemen in MLB history. I met him once and the way he treated my then 2 year old son was legendary, like he was talking to his own grandson!! Love his signature !

P-town Tom said...

For the record. It's one of the BEST nicknames ever. I sometimes refer to some of my better fielding players that I coach as Human Vacuum Cleaners.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Awesome card of a HOF!

shoeboxlegends said...

Fantastic autograph Fuji! Just beautiful.

Fuji said...

chris & gcrl - yeah, that year is one of my personal favorites too. it's a shame that the signatures on the white baseballs haven't held up over the years

gca - i'm so jealous. the sweet spot classic memorabilia set is one of my favorite memorabilia card sets of all-time.

baltmoss68 - that's awesome. always nice to hear positive stories about player interactions... especially when they involve children.

p-town tom - in regards to baseball, i can't argue with that.

sumomenkoman & shoeboxlegends - thanks guys. i was very happy to add it to my collection.