Sunday, September 13, 2026

Another Sort, Another Blogger Issue, & Another BBA

Another Sunday.  Another sort.  Another issue with Blogger.

This time... blog posts aren't popping up in Blogger reading lists.  Hopefully they resolve this issue as quickly as they did with the commenting one.


Can't worry about that right now, because it's time to sort some care packages from John (@ Johnny's Trading Spot) and Kenny (@ Torren' Up Cards).

Let's start with a flat rate box that John sent me two weeks ago.  The majority of the cards he sent my way were for my Japanese Athlete PC.


He sent me a good mix of retired and current players as well as a mixture of base, inserts, and parallels.

After sorting them into player lots, Masataka Yoshida's stack stood taller than everyone else combined.  Here are nine that stood out:


The cherry blossom card in the #3 spot is my favorite, because it's a Japanese Edition exclusive.  However there was another insert that stood out:

2024 Topps 1989 Topps The Real One #89B-14 (#'d 32/89)

At first glance this card looks like any other 35th anniversary insert.  Only this card lacks the usual glossy finish.


It's hard to tell in the scan, but Topps tried to mimic the original 1989 paper stock and added serial numbering to this insert parallel.

The other large stack contained a bunch of Masahiro Tanaka cards:


John also sent me some A's cards.  Unfortunately I misplaced the scan containing some of my favorites.  But here are two new Barry Zito jersey cards:

2003 Fleer Showcase Baseball's Best Jersey #BB-BZ

2003 Fleer Platinum Portraits Jersey #PP/BZ

The last time an A's pitcher won the AL Cy Young Award was twenty-four years ago.  Zito was the guy. 

Dave Stewart finished in the top 4 voting... four years in a row (1987 to 1990)... but never won the award.

1991 Baseball Card Price Guide Monthly #44

Stew was rewarded with this cool magazine card in 1991... the same year he led the MLB in earned runs allowed.  However A's fans will always remember his great run with the team more than those earned runs.

John also sent me a stack of 80's Topps Glossy All-Stars:


I've been putting together a collection of these sets from 1984 to 1991.  None of these were needed for the project, but five out of the six went into my player binders.

He also sent me some vintage non-sport singles:

1957 Topps Robin Hood #5
1954 Bowman US Navy Victories #21
1957 Topps Isolation Booth #14

I'm not building any of these sets... but each of these will be added to my non-sport sampler binder.

John gives away nine Greg Maddux cards every week.  I've won a few times.  Here are my latest winnings:


The Topps 206 Mini in the middle is the one I was most excited about.  Maddux is probably the 2nd largest player collection behind Tony Gwynn.  So anytime I can add a new card to the binders, it's a reason to celebrate.

I also won one of his Wacky Packages giveaways:


I was absolutely stoked to see this in the box.  John is the blogger responsible for getting me into collecting Wacky Packages and I'd say 80 to 90% of the ones sitting in my collection were gifts from him.

This particular sticker takes me back to my college years:


My buddy and I drove down to TJ a few times and one of the key memories is walking across the Tijuana River and instantly getting smacked in the face by the smell of raw sewage.  Good times.  There are a few other memorable moments... but those stories don't really fit into a card blog post.

Thank you John for the generous giveaways and the thoughtful care package.

Rounding out this post is another care package.  This one arrived the same week as John's... but from the other side of the planet.

Kenny hooked me up with a pack of 2026 Topps Series 2 Japan Edition:


Although there are cherry blossom parallels and koi fish versions of the 1991 insert set... the odds of pulling them aren't very good.  That's why I've decided to add this to my collection of unopened Japanese trading card packs.

Don't worry... I do have a pair of Japanese Dream Order game cards to show off:

2025 Dream Order #TBP01-G21

First up is Toronto's Kazuma Okamoto.  Next is Chicago's Munetaka Murakami:

2024 Dream Order #CBP01-S02

Each of these MLB rookies have hit 31 home runs this season.  And I'm excited to add both to my Japanese binders.

Thank you Kenny!

Not sure how many people will have the opportunity to see this post, but hopefully Blogger fixes the issue sooner than later.  If not... this could pose a huge problem for everyone who works hard to write blog posts about the hobby we love.  Only time will tell.

Fingers crossed.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!


Extra Innings

I just discovered on Night Owl's blog that Kenny has started a Blog Bat-Around.  He wants us to share our proudest collecting moments.


#1:  Becoming a blogger.


Before starting this blog, my hobby world revolved around card shows, card shops, message boards, eBay, and flea markets.  However the blogosphere has introduced me to more collectors than all of those areas combined.  Sure most are strictly online interactions, but I have met a fair share of bloggers in person.


#2:  Collecting 19+ on-card, pack pulled autographs of Mr. Padre.

2007 UD Masterpieces Stroke of Genius #SG-GW

This wasn't too challenging.  However after Rickey Henderson passed away two years ago, I realized that I probably won't be able to obtain 24 on-card, pack pulled autographs of him due to the rising cost of his signatures.  This also made me realize that I was very lucky to chase Gwynn autographs while they were plentiful and affordable.  It would never happen today.


#3:  Attending the final A's game at the Coliseum and owning the Topps Now card that commemorates it.

2024 Topps Now #760

This might be more of a fan accomplishment, but considering how important the A's are to my collecting focus... I felt like this should make the list.


14 comments:

RJ Sahl said...

Fantastic cards. Wacky Packages takes me back to my elementary school days. I would decorate my folders and notebooks with them. Fun stuff. Enjoy it all!

night owl said...

I need to get one of those cherry blossom cards, but I love the Wacky Packages here more than anything else. I think I might need 1 or 2 that you showed, I was hoping I could win all of John's Wacky giveaways.

I hope to do the blog bat-around later this week, maybe it'll get more people involved who would otherwise not know it's happening due to Blogger's issue.

Batting Out Of Order said...

Nice stuff there. That Yoshida '89 style is a real beauty.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Glad you liked the box. I hope that everyone is using the blogger feedback to complain. There website says they aren't interested in doing another update.......

RR said...

I love seeing those Wacky Packages as I remember those back in elementary school. I can still remember a few, my favoirite one back then was NeverReady Batteries :)

Michael D said...

Love the 80s Glossy cards. Takes me back. What few of those I had I traded or sold. Should have kept them and tried to complete them.

Chris said...

I knew something was odd when my last post only got a Comment from Night Owl - and Night Owl was the only blog appearing on my feed. It does seem to be fixed now.

Lots of unique cards here. I'm partial to the Ishii Topps Pristine, but the Yoshida cards are fantastic as well. What's the one *below* the Cherry Blossom insert parallel?

The Lost Collector said...

Good stuff, Fuji! Hopefully you consider all of your flea market finds to be a big collecting feat, as well! I've always enjoyed following that series.

Zippy Zappy said...

Glad you got the envelope. Also thanks for participating in the BBA. 19+ autographs of a Hall of Famer seems nuts but in a good way. Congrats on having the foresight to get it done while it was still feasible.

John Bateman said...

Blogger maybe fixed

Peter K Steinberg said...

I missed the Wacky Packages era, somehow. I don't know that I necessarily get "it". But, that's not surprising as I don't get much anyway. Wonderful haul of cards and I'm sorry you misplaced that A's one. If you ever find it please share it.

BaseSetCalling said...

That 2020 Tanaka is an excellent Baseball Card

Matt said...

Great additions! I gave up on trying to win Maddux Mondays, I hadn't ever been chosen out of the usual 4 that enter lol.

I may have you on my list to mail cards to for Christmas!

Fuji said...

rj sahl - i vaguely remember seeing them as a kid, but never actually owned any (that i remember). don't even remember seeing them at any of the stores my parents shopped at.

night owl - i picked up a few different cherry blossom inserts/parallels off of comc two years ago. they had some decent prices. now the only problem is having them shipped

batting out of order - wish that topps used the vintage stock more for their throwback inserts

johnnys trading spot - looks like enough people complained. my blogger reading list still has the issue of delayed posts, but at least posts are eventually showing up. night owl's feedburner trick has helped.

rr - my favorites are the ones where they parody the topps pack wrappers. i also love any that parody certain products that stand out from my childhood.

michael d - singles of the glossy all-stars are still available in quarter bins... but you've gotta be patient. i feel like the best and most economic route is to buy complete sets. that's what i'll probably end up doing for the 1991 set

chris - the worst part of the blogger blackout is going back and figuring out which posts i missed. it sucks because we put so much effort into our blog posts only to have a fraction of our readership actually see it. glad they've fixed the issue for the most part. as for the yoshida, it's an insert out of 2023 bowman chrome called bowman ascensions

the lost collector - oh man... i didn't even think of that. speaking of flea market stuff... i've been going back and looking at my old fmf posts and laughing at some of the purchases (both good and bad). i'm sure glad i documented them over the years

zippy zappy - don't think i'll ever add another gwynn autograph to my collection. if i do, it'll likely be more 92 fleer ultra signatures

john bateman - yeah, looks like it's mostly fixed. blog posts still aren't immediately showing up on my feed though. not sure they ever will. but if they at least show up within 24 hours, i can live with that

peter k steinberg - i remember seeing wacky packages on kids folders, but never finding any at the store myself. honestly... the main reason i collect them now is b/c john hooked me up with a bunch over the years. as for the a's, unless the scan pops up... i'll never figure out which ones came from him. but i'm sure he'll send a few more at some point

basesetcalling - i agree. pretty sure i have almost a 9 pocket page filled with that card and parallels of it

matt - do you collect maddux? i'll try and remember to toss some extras into the next pwe i send your way