30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Flea Market Finds #132: Expired Pasta Primavera

Ever since I wrapped up my 56 Day Walking Challenge in mid-July, I've taken a break all of my local flea markets.

However this morning I decided to celebrate my last day of summer before I return to the classroom by hitting up the Capitol Flea Market.  This flea market hasn't been providing many finds the past year or so.  It's literally filled with people's garbage.

Don't believe me?  Check out this vendor's goodies:


That's non-refrigerated pasta primavera and chicken piccata polenta that expired three days ago.  Yum.  Yum.  I sure hope that whoever buys this stuff has a cast iron stomach.

I grew up in a household that treasured leftovers.  My father was a kid during the Great Depression and his family was very poor, so they never let any food go to waste.  But I'm pretty sure that even he wouldn't buy these meals.

Personally... I'm pretty picky about what I put in my body.  Whenever I cook something, I try to eat all of it within three days.  After that, I can't do it.  I get mentally grossed out.


Purchase #1:  Chili Lemon Pistachios $5


About half way through the flea market, I ran into my regular "pistachio" guy and picked up this 8oz. bag.  Normally I pick up the tequila flavored ones, but I decided to live on the wild side and take the chili lemon.

Don't worry.  These babies won't last more than two days.


Purchase #2:  1989 Bowman Baseball Factory Set $3


One of the reasons, I don't feel the need to go out to the flea market every weekend is because I'm tired of buying stuff I don't really need.  This is a prime example of that.  I already own this set, but I figured for $3... I just couldn't pass it up.

I know that a lot of collectors are turned off by this set, because of their size.  I'm not one of them.  I actually really love this set and plan on throwing this into a binder for easy viewing.

1989 Bowman #220

Well that's it for today.  Tomorrow I'll be participating in some leadership training.  Wish I could say that I'm excited, but that's just not the case.  At least they're providing lunch.  It just better not be pasta primavera and chicken piccata polenta.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was going to be a post about some long forgotten food issue featured in boxes of pasta - I was really looking forward to reading it because I am a big fan of food issue cards. Wow - I was wrong. I can't believe that guy had the audacity to try and sell that.

night owl said...

This has got to be a health violation of some sort, right?

Some of those flea markets can be like wandering through a Charles Dickens novel.

Commishbob said...

Oh my this is classic. Not sure how you ever top the Past Its Prime Pasta Primavera Post.

Sorry you have to endure those dreadful pre-semester meetings. My old district went back yesterday and I got messages and tweets from my old colleagues who were sitting thru them. I was secretly gloating while sending sympathetic replies.

Laurens said...

I’m now curious about those pasta dishes - I’m sure they are still edible but which supermarket dumpster did the seller find them at?

Matt said...

I wouldn’t touch that pasta either. Those words I don’t say often and I am glad I am not alone with throwing food away after a few days if I don’t eat it up

The Lost Collector said...

I fall under one of the people who don't love 89 Bowman, but have plenty of the Tino rookies from that set.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I have 1 of those 89' Bowman sets sitting on thr floor right beside me now. lol. Pretty sure I have a few of these back home. I love leftovers, typically they last 1 day. And I'm a stickler on the 3 days it's gotta go. Milk.... often lasts for 2 weeks past it's date depending on the brand and container, but I can't do that either. Heck I start smelling it before the date, just to be sure, and when the date arrives, bye bye. Welcome back to school!

Fuji said...

Anonymous - My friend and I were discussing it. We think this guy dumpster dives at grocery stores and grabs discarded food.

night owl - Lol. Yeah. I'd definitely call that a heart violation.

Commishbob - Enjoy it buddy. I've got 15 to 20 years left. Looking forward to the day when I'll be secretly gloating too.

Laurens - I tried to zoom in. Looks like he took off the part with the store label. I honestly don't think you could offer me a Jackie Robinson rookie card to eat one of those.

Sport Card Collectors - I try my best not to throw things out, because I remember what my pops went through. But there's a line. I'd say that pasta is way past it.

The Lost Collector - Watched a YT video yesterday of a guy going into an LCS and there were tons of these factory sets sitting on a table. Made me wonder how much of this stuff they produced. Can't be as much as 1988 Topps or 1991 Donruss though, right?

Fuji said...

The way I eat cereal and drink coffee, I'm glad to say a carton of milk doesn't last very long in my house.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wow, I thought I have seen it all. The 1989 was a set everyone loved to hate because of its size. It was like the Betamax vs VHS, or HD DVD versus Blue Ray. The larger size never won people over.

Jafronius said...

I also hate wasting food, but even I'd pass at buying it there! To me, if I bought it and then found it in my fridge 3 days past expiration, game on!

Fuji said...

SumoMenkoMan - More for me to collect I guess. I've always had a soft spot for 89B and the 1988 to 1990 Topps Big cards. Speaking of Betamax... my dream is to one day stumble across the Star Wars trilogy at the flea market.

Jafronius - Lol. You would have loved being my roommate back in college. I'd always hook up my friends with food I didn't want anymore.

Daniel Wilson said...

When I saw the title of your post I thought it would have some sort of Beastie Boys reference with the Pasta Primavera in the title. Nope, just expired Pasta Primavera. $3 for the Bowman set is a great deal. I picked up a 1989 Upper Deck set for $19, when i already had two others, just because it was a great deal. So I understand.

Nick said...

I personally would never buy food at a flea market, and that Pasta Primavera display is a good reason why.

Adam Kaningher said...

For 1989 Bowman, you don't have to mess with odd-sized pages if you have the original box like that.

Fuji said...

daniel wilson - lol. was listening to my paul's boutique lp last week

nick - you've gotta try the churros at the de anza flea market. they're fresh and amazing... i promise

adam kaningher - but i want to be able to see it in all of its glory