30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Blown Away By Beauty

Before we get into this post, I want to preface things by stating that this blog isn't turning into a non-sports blog.  I realize that I've had several non-sports related posts recently, but I assure you that 98% of my posts will feature sports cards.

With that being said, today I wanted to share a few more of non-sports COMC purchases.  If you read my Apology to Oregon and Nevada post yesterday, then you know that I've lived my entire life in The Golden State and even though we have our faults (there are literally 500+ active faults in California), I'm still proud to be a Californian.

I could easily list reasons I want to spend the rest of my life here, but that would take up too much of our time.  So I'll get straight to the nitty gritty:

#1:  The Weather

Obviously, I can't speak for anyone other than myself.  We each have our own personal preferences, but I do not enjoy extreme cold or extreme heat.  The perfect temperature for me is between 58ºF and 68ºF, so I can wear shorts, flip flops, and a hoodie.

Here in San Jose, I'm able to live that lifestyle 60% of the time.  Sure there are a handful of days when it's too cold to wear flip flops and there are three to four months where wearing a hoodie would be considered ridiculous.  But overall, San Jose's climate is pretty moderate.


#2:  The Sight Seeing

I honestly don't get out and about as often as I'd like to.  However it's not because I lack options.

2017 Goodwin Champions World Traveler Map Relics #WT16

I could hop into my car right now and drive across the historic and beautiful Golden Gate Bridge that connects San Francisco to Marin County in approximately 90 minutes.  I've only walked across it a handful of times, but every time I have... I was blown away by its beauty.

2017 Goodwin Champions World Traveler Map Relics #WT6

If I drove in the opposite direction, I could head south along the California coast for about two hours and could cross the Bixby Creek Bridge, which is on the way to Big Sur.  This is where the Santa Lucia mountain range meets the Pacific Ocean.  It's a great place to go for a hike during the middle of the week when everyone else is at work. 

2017 Goodwin Champions World Traveler Map Relics #WT23

Lake Tahoe is about four hours east of me.  Even though it's much farther than The Golden Gate Bridge and Big Sur, I've actually been to Tahoe way more times than the other two places combined.

When I was a kid, my family would go up to Tahoe at least two or three times a year to go skiing.  In high school and college, my buddies and I would go much more frequently.  It's one of my favorite places in the world and its the setting of some of my fondest memories.

Now before you get the wrong idea... I'm not trying to compare California to anywhere else.  There are thousands of beautiful places scattered across the world.  I'm just explaining why I love living in the Bay Area while showing off some really cool map relics produced by Upper Deck last year.

I discovered this set while searching for Golden Gate Bridge cards and thought that Upper Deck was pretty creative with it.  There are 50 cards in the set, which happens to be broken down into eight tiers.  Although they're pretty tough to pull in regards to pack odds, you can find them on COMC for a few bucks each.  For a brief moment, I considered building this set.  Then I noticed that there are three cards that fall into the 1:10,436 packs tier.  These command a decent dime.

Luckily none of the ones I really wanted are super rare or expensive.  I spent $11.90 on the three relics above and another $4.75 for this card:

2017 Goodwin Champions World Traveler Map Relics #WT27

I've never actually been to Japan before, but I hope that one day I'll make it over there.

Well that's it for today.  It's your turn to share...

What are some of your favorite places to travel to within your state or country?

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

12 comments:

Rod Richards said...

I have been under the Golden Gate multiple times when I was in the Navy and used to live in Big Sur. We went over Bixby Bridge at least 12 times a week. I have to find those cards.

ketchupman36 said...

Nice selection of map relics. I've been meaning to pick up one of these cards but I can't decide on which location.

night owl said...

I may live in the middle of nowhere, but I also reside within a half hour of the Adirondack Mountains on one side and and within 40 minutes of the Thousand Islands on the other. I'll match that double-shot of scenery with anything else.

Commishbob said...

There was a time I would have answered with 'Austin'. Back when I was in school I found myself there a couple of times a month. My gf had moved there but besides that I loved the music scene and the laid back vibe that came from the mix of hippies, cowboys and students. But the growth over that way has made it much less fun.

Now my favorite part of the state is the Rio Grande Valley. Friendly folks who always assume you speak Spanish which I get a kick out of, great food and a lot of wide open spaces.

Mark Hoyle said...

Living in New England. We have beaches from Maine to Cape Cod. Also the White Mountains in NH and the Green Mountains in Vt. I now have to see that bridge in Big Sur. It’s impressive. I’ve been to Hawaii three times. favorite place in the world

Matt said...

I grew up a short drive from Niagara Falls. I would go there yearly as a teen. I haven't been back there though since October 2004, when I proposed to my now wife.

Nick Vossbrink said...

While I live in NJ now I'll never not be a Californian. As much as I love the Sierra Nevadas, I think my favorite place in the world will always be those rocky central coast beaches and small fishing towns like Morro Bay or Pescadero out where the fogs rolls in every night and you can hear the gulls cry all day long.

I'm honestly not sure I have an answer for NJ yet.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wyoming...no people there! I love those map relics. Cool pickups! How much do you think it'd be to complete the entire set?

Fuji said...

rod richards - oh man... going under the golden gate has to be pretty cool. you should be able to find both of these on comc for under $10.

ketchupman36 - with 50 cards in the set, you have quite a selection. i'm probably going to grab a few more on comc when a good deal pops up.

night owl - my buddy just visited the adirondack mountains and he said it was amazing. hopefully i'll be able to see it for myself

commishbob - wide open spaces is my cup of tea. haven't been to texas since i was a kid, but i'm sure i'll make it back out there eventually. if/when i do, i'll try to visit the rio grande valley

mark hoyle - ever since i was a kid (and watched newhart), i've wanted to visit the new england states. everything seems so clean and the people seem super friendly. and hawaii is definitely on my short list of favorite places in the world

matt - very cool. that's another place i'd love to see at some point. i've gotta imagine that niagara falls made this set's checklist. if not, upper deck dropped the ball.

nick vossbrink - love, love, love morro bay and pescadero. my friend and i just drove out to pescadero for pie a few weeks ago. haven't been to morro bay in a few years, but the next time i'm in slo, i'll definitely make the trip out to see morro rock.

sumomenkoman - haven't been to wyoming yet. but one day, I'd love to visit the whole idaho, utah, montana, colorado, wyoming region. my parents loved that region. for years they would do a giant road trip out there with their friends.

Nick Vossbrink said...

DUARTE'S IS THE BEST
I haven't been there in way too long.

gcrl said...

thanks for sharing the big sur card! i need to grab one of those!

Fuji said...

they're pretty cheap over at comc