30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Thirty-Plus Years of Waiting


In 1981, my parents took me on a trip to Seattle, WA to visit my cousin who was studying dentistry at the University of Washington.  I've referenced this trip before on my blog. 

It's the same trip my parents bought my first baseball card set:  1981 Fleer.


It helped keep the "card collecting" ball rolling and is just one of the many reasons I'm still collecting thirty-three years later.


But the story doesn't end there.  That trip to Seattle also turned me into a Seattle Seahawks fan.  Actually the credit should actually go to my cousin Keith.


Living in the community filled with 49er Faithful, I've had to watch my friends and family celebrate five Super Bowl victories as their favorite franchise built a dynasty that lasted for close to two decades.  During that time, I was fortunate enough to watch my other favorite team (the Green Bay Packers) win a pair of Super Bowls.  However after thirty-plus years, I'm still waiting for the Hawks' first.


Hopefully... the wait will end today.


Thank goodness for great food and good company, because as soon as the game starts I know my stomach is going to be tied in knots as the NFL's best offense squares up against their best defense.


Let's just hope legendary coach Bear Bryant was right when he said "offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships".



Go Hawks!

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

12 comments:

Dennis said...

I'm rooting against Peyton as usual, plus I can't help but like Wilson, so go Hawks!

Fuji said...

Lol. I won't be cheering for him during the game, but if the Broncos prevail I'll be happy (well as happy as I can actually be) for him and his fans. I've always admired the way he's approached the game.

Unknown said...

Not bothered who wins tonight, just hope it'll be a great game!

CaptKirk42 said...

Oh MJ it should be a great game. If not then both teams are overhyped. :)
I'm not a fan of either team but I 'd rather see the Broncos win **Ducks head and crawls for cover**

Comatoad said...

I'm a life-long Packers fan, while San Diego is my "AFC team," from having lived there. Even though I also lived in Denver 5 years, I never could get a warm fuzzy for the Broncs. I'm actually rooting for Seattle, as I enjoyed Wilson when he QB'd at Wisconsin.

Play at the Plate said...

It didn't take long to realize who was going to win that game. Congrats to you Seahawks fans!!

Corky said...

This was an exciting game to watch (as a Seahawks fan), it is great to see the Lombardi Trophy going to the Pacific Northwest.

Eric Bracke said...

Three former NC State guys (Wilson, Sweezy, and Hauscka) on the Seahawks, nice to see them pick up the title.

Fuji said...

Thanks PATP... the wait is finally over.

Fuji said...

Oops... meant "yup". Hopefully we don't lose too many free agents and we can keep the ball rolling next season.

Fuji said...

Couldn't agree more ;-)

Ana Lu said...

And sure they went for it ;)