30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, August 26, 2012

One Down... Two To Go!

Seventeen months ago, I started building the 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces Captured on Canvas set.  It was simply love at first sight with these cards.  I know that "relic", "memorabilia", and "game used" cards aren't as popular as they once were... but a sweet looking card is a sweet looking card.

It started with me buying a case of this stuff.  C'mon... you remember the whole Joe Montana debacle.  I was able to pull a high percentage of the cards I needed for the set.  From there, I turned to purchasing "lots" off of eBay.  And when I narrowed it down to 8 or 9... I started to pick them up anyway I possibly could.

Unfortunately, I've been stuck on three for a few months now.  Until a couple of months ago when I saw a guy selling the Matt Forte for $5.  Well... here's the thing.  I refuse to overpay on these cards... especially when it's "event worn".  So I offered him $2.50, which I felt was fair.  But he refused.

Fast forward to last week.  I noticed that he hadn't sold the card.  So I threw out the $2.50 offer again.  And again, I was denied.

Well thanks to a combination of luck and being patient... I won't have to worry about being turned down a third time.  Last Monday, I found one online for $1.50 (free shipping):



Which means...  I just need these two cards to complete my set:



Anyone out there have either of these cards for sale or trade?  If so... let me know.  I'd love to wrap this project up.

Today's question is...


Have you ever been turned down, only to find a better opportunity just around the corner?

Happy Friday everyone... and sayonara!

7 comments:

Dennis said...

SportLots appears to have the Chad Johnson for $5.99

SpastikMooss said...

ALL the time. My most recent was a card at $18 shipped on Ebay, I tried $10 and the guy said no 3 times. I bought a version that popped up 3 months later for like $1.09 shipped. It was awesome.

Kirk Jacobson said...

When I was a Brian Roberts super collector a fellow Roberts collectors was selling out, all at once. He had a good colllection like mine and I offered $600. He scoffed and sent me a pretty rude response. He then put it all on ebay and I paid $350. I was happy. Then when I sold my whole roberts collection I pulled in $1200. Actually think I broke even on that whole collection.

Kirk Jacobson said...

When I was a Brian Roberts super collector a fellow Roberts collectors was selling out, all at once. He had a good colllection like mine and I offered $600. He scoffed and sent me a pretty rude response. He then put it all on ebay and I paid $350. I was happy. Then when I sold my whole roberts collection I pulled in $1200. Actually think I broke even on that whole collection.

Fuji said...

Thanks Dennis... I'll check it out.

Fuji said...

Wow... that's awesome. What card?

Fuji said...

Wow... glad things worked out for you. It cracks me up when people end up taking losses, because of their greed. That's why I'm a huge fan of fair market value.