30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chronicles of Cardfoolery #4: The Rip Master & His Harem

Tap... tap... tap.  May I have your attention please.  I'm in need of a little clarification.

Why the heck would the people at Topps think collectors would want an autograph of this guy?


Maybe it's because there are collectors like myself who have nothing better to do, than to build this ridiculous set consisting of Alan and his female companions.

If you're not familiar with the guy, he's the annoying host of Topps TV's The Rip Party.  I'll admit, there was a time when I actually would sit down and watch the videos... but it wasn't to see him, I assure you.

But before I get to the eye candy, let's get The Rip Master out of the way, since he was the first card I acquired in the set:


I picked this card up back in July of 2010... off of COMC for $1.85.  Later that evening, I purchased Hollie for $2.00:


A few months passed, but eventually I pulled off a trade with SpastikMooss (author of The Great Sports Name HOF) and acquired Felicia and The Twins:



But then I hit a wall... and the 2008 Finest "Topps TV Autograph" set project went into hibernation.  I attempted to purchase Rachael's autograph a few times, but wasn't willing to spend the kind of money people were asking.

Fast forward to last week... almost two years later... and I finally gave in and picked up the final card I needed off of eBay for $3.25 (+ $2.75 shipping):


So there you have it... in all of its glory:  the complete five card autograph set of some hot chicks who dig cardboard and their nerdy leader.  What do you think...

Is this the most ridiculous set ever produced?  If not... what set is?

Happy Thursday everyone... and sayonara!

20 comments:

BA Benny said...

Hot chick autographs, not so crazy. There are plenty of dumber sets out there, i have a Sears Craftsman Tools card set. I gotta show that off some day.

SpastikMooss said...

Yes, yes it is. And I'm glad you finally finished it!

sg488 said...

1973 Donruss Baseball/Football Freaks.

Captain Canuck said...

does anyone remember the Manufactured Letter sticker autos????

Fuji said...

Are you kidding me? Of course I do. One of these days, I'll be adding one of my 2007 (or is it 2008) Topps Letterman autographs to my Chronicles of Cardfoolery posts. Complete tomfoolery.

Fuji said...

Couldn't have done it without your help! Thanks again.

Fuji said...

Wasn't sure the set you were talking about, so I looked them up. I totally remember those or at least something similar to them. If I'm not mistaken, I think a company in the early 90's put out a set like the one you're talking about.

Fuji said...

Sears Craftsman Tools? Love their lifetime warranty. Not sure if I need their cardboard though. These must be rare right? I mean... how many people actually bought these?

Play at the Plate said...

Does anyone remember 2010 Upper Deck Baseball? Ridiculous.

jacobmrley said...

Wonderfully tacky, like legitimate Benchwarmers cards. As for what is the most ridiculous set, if we go into non-sports, the Alf set of the mid 80's was just off the damn charts silly.

Fuji said...

Lol... are referring to the abundant amount of photos involving player's backs?

Fuji said...

It's funny you mention that set. There's a set called Bouillabaseball that's part of the ALF Series 2 packs that I really... really want. One of these days, I'll pick it up.

gcrl said...

Bowman scout autos are only slightly better than this set.

Fuji said...

Hmmm... that's a close call. I totally forgot about that set. If we're judging on design, I'd go with the Topps TV set. If we're going on collector interest... I guess baseball scouts are cooler than The Rip Master. Then again... I think I'd rather collect the hot chicks over the scouts.

Very tough decision indeed.

Zayden said...

I think most of the metal universe sets are pretty ridiculous. Though I think of the word "ridiculous" in a good way!

jacobmrley said...

Those are the cards I was referencing. I have a bunch of them if you want some.

Fuji said...

Thanks for the offer, but I just targeted them on eBay this morning. As soon as the come up within my price point, I'm grab a set.

sg488 said...

Just for clarity,it was Donruss 1973 Super Freaks Baseball,1974 Donruss Football Freaks.A few are listed on E-Bay,Im a prouud owner of both sets haha.

Fuji said...

Heck yea... love those Metal Universe sets!

Fuji said...

I might have to pick up a pair of sets for my collection too. Thanks for information.