Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Hope I'm Wrong!

The MLB Postseason schedule is set and it's time to see how the dust will settle and which team will be left standing a month from now to hoist up the Commissioner's Trophy.  Let the games begin.


The San Diego Padres made it... so you know I'll be rooting for them.  The question is whether or not I actually think they can pull it off and make it to the World Series.  But before I answer that... I poaching the Card Board Junkie's idea and want to rank the playoff teams in regards to who I will be rooting for this postseason.

However since you already know the Padres will be the #1 team, let's go in reverse order...

2024 MLB Playoff Fanfare Rankings


#12New York Yankees

2024 Topps #99

It's pretty simple.  They are my least favorite team in baseball and I can't think of a situation during these playoffs where I'll be rooting for them.


#11Los Angeles Dodgers

2024 Topps #500

The Dodgers have been to the playoffs thirteen straight seasons.  They've gone to the World Series three times in the past seven seasons... and won one.  Although there are a few guys on the roster I enjoy watching and collecting, the only way I'll root for them is if they're playing against the Yankees in the World Series.


#9tPhiladelphia Phillies & Houston Astros

2024 Topps #200
2024 Topps #273

Both of these teams are loaded with big names and are up there in regards to payrolls.  More importantly... both of these teams were in the World Series two years ago.  Although I don't hate either franchise... I'd prefer to see them give other teams a chance.


#8New York Mets

2024 Topps #650

I considered putting the Mets up there with the Phillies and Astros, because they have a lot of money invested into their roster.  But ultimately I'd rather see them in the World Series than either of those teams.


#5tKansas City Royals, Baltimore Orioles, & Cleveland Guardians

2024 Topps #254
2024 Topps #114

2024 Topps #450

This is the "meh" tier of my rankings.  Don't really hate or love any of these teams.  I'll definitely root for any of them over the five other teams already listed.  I just don't really have a strong opinion among them.  For example... the Orioles will host the Royals and although I have a prediction in mind... I don't really care who actually wins.


#4Atlanta Braves

2024 Topps #484

I watched a lot of Braves baseball on TBS back in the day... so I tend to root for them when they're not playing against the Padres or A's.  I actually feel bad that they've been stung in the hardest way by injuries.  If they take down the Padres, I'll be rooting for them against the mighty Dodgers.


#3Detroit Tigers

2024 Topps #294

Back on August 10, the Tigers lost to the Giants, had a 55-63 record, and were seven games outside of the final Wild Card spot.  The won 33 of their next 44 gamesHow awesome is that?  I don't think many people saw that coming.  That's why I'm super excited for them and their fans.  Plus I'd love to see a rematch of the 1984 World Series... with obviously a different outcome.


#2Milwaukee Brewers

2024 Topps #570

Out of the twelve playoff teams, only the Brewers and Padres have never won a World Series title.  If the Padres don't represent the National League in the World Series... I hope the Brewers do.

 
#1San Diego Padres

2024 Topps #23

After Juan Soto was shipped off to New York, I didn't expect much from my favorite National League team.  After the first 100 games, their record was 50-50... which was pretty much what I expected.  Then something clicked, they won 43 out of their final 62 games, and the season became much more interesting.  Let's go Padres!


2024 MLB Playoff Predictions

With my fanfare established... let's get back to the original questionDo I think the Padres will win the World Series this year?  Let's look at my playoff predictions to find out:

Wild Card Round Predictions

2024 Topps #378

Kansas City at Baltimore:  I'm picking the Orioles
Detroit at Houston:  I'm picking the Tigers
New York at Milwaukee:  I'm picking the Mets (Hope I'm wrong)
Atlanta at San Diego:  I'm picking the Padres


ALDS Predictions

2024 Topps #6

Detroit vs. Cleveland:  I'm picking the Tigers
Baltimore vs. New York:  I'm picking the Yankees (Hope I'm wrong)


NLDS Predictions

2024 Topps #428

New York vs. Philadelphia:  I'm picking the Phillies
San Diego vs. Los Angeles:  I'm picking the Dodgers (Hope I'm wrong)


ALCS Predictions

2024 Topps #301

Detroit vs New York:  I'm picking the Yankees (Hope I'm wrong)
Philadelphia vs. Los Angeles:  I'm picking the Dodgers (Hope I'm wrong)


World Series Prediction

2024 Topps #401

New York vs. Los Angeles:  I'm picking the Dodgers

Like I said... I can't picture a scenario where I'd be rooting for the Yankees, so if these two teams met in the World Series... I'll be pulling for Ohtani and company.

2024 Topps #2

However... like the title of this post says... I hope I'm wrong.  If it were up to me, the San Diego Padres would face off against the Detroit Tigers in a rematch of the 1984 World Series.  Only this time, the Padres would prevail.

What about you?

Who are you rooting for?

Who do you think will hoist the Commissioner's Trophy this postseason?

Guess there's nothing else left to do except sit back... and let the players do their jobs.

Happy postseason and sayonara!

2 comments:

Ginko-5 said...

Gee, am I glad somebody else had the Tigers going to the ALCS besides me. And they are who I'm rooting for to win it all.

If not them, I'd appreciate it if the Royals or Padres won. They're my next two.

Dennis said...

Good luck to your Padres and my Tigers!