Sunday, October 20, 2024

Box Busting Bonanza

When it rains, it pours.  That's the best way to describe my recent box busting experience.  Earlier in the season, I picked up three 2024 Topps super boxes.  You know... the ones that have a bunch of packs and an oversized box topper.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's what they look like:

2024 Topps Super Box Series 1 ($39.99 @ Fanatics)

2024 Topps Super Box Series 2 ($37.74 @ Target)

2024 Topps The Flagship Collection ($33.99 @ Costco)

I've been sitting on these (along with two from 2023) for months.  Just waiting for the right time to open them.  Well... my buddy gave me a 660ct. box filled with 2024 Topps Series 1 and 2 duplicates, so I decided to pop these open and build myself a flagship set.

Collation must suck this year, because I still fell sixty-two cards short:


Part of the issue is there are two or three inserts or parallels in every pack.  I love inserts and parallels, but I miss the days when you pulled two or three in the entire box.

Anyways, here's a look at five cool pulls from my boxes:

#1A Short Printed Rookie

2024 Topps #700

The only reason I caught this card was because the set build required me to sort the cards.  And when I did... I noticed two #700's and two different playersWyatt Langford & Jose Altuve.


Outside of a handful of guys, I haven't really keep tabs on rookies this season.  Had I heard of Langford?  Yeah.  But I couldn't tell you if he was having a solid year or not.  Overall... it seems like he had a decent year, but not good enough to earn AL ROY considerations.

I've already handed this card over to my buddy who hooked me up with his 2024 Topps duplicates in hopes of putting it towards the Jackson Merrill short printed rookie card.


#2My Very First Elly

2024 Topps Flagship Collection Box Topper #OTCSP-1

This was a really nice surprise.  This is the first Elly De La Cruz card I have ever owned and it's a short print.


These box toppers are a pain in the butt to store, but I ran out and bought a package of 6x9 top loaders just for this one.


#3The 1st Female Full-Time Coach in MLB History

2024 Topps Women in Baseball #WIB-4

I have wanted this Alyssa Nakken card since the first time I saw it on one of your blogs.  Now that I have this card out of the way, I'm planning on picking up the other four cards in the set.


#4Obligatory Oakland Athletic

2024 Topps Black Foil #599

Nick Allen may or may not be in the MLB two years from now, but regardless he can tell his grandchildren he had a nice looking 2024 Topps flagship card.


#5Needle in a Haystack

2024 Topps Chrome Stars of the MLB #CSMLB-20

Holy cow.  Topps flooded the hobby and my boxes with these inserts.  However, I actually really like the look of this Soto.  The Padres City Connect colors are perfectly paired with this design.  This particular one is of the (rarer, but not really rare) "Chrome" variety... so the refractor technology takes this card to the next level.

Well that's it for today.  Sorry I haven't been publishing posts the past two weeks.  It's been a little hectic around here.  Obviously... I had a chance to open up some boxes.  Just didn't have enough time to write about them until now.

That being said... I will be publishing several Flea Market Finds posts over the next two weeks... using a slightly different format in an effort to help me catch up with those posts as well.  Please stay tuned.

And I know I'm several months late to the flagship set building party, but if you need singles, shoot me an email.  Maybe we can help each other out.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

1 comment:

Nick Vossbrink said...

Oh awesome the Costco boxes are back. The boys will be excited by that.