30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, August 3, 2023

A Childhood Favorite


One of my biggest regrets in life was not appreciating and embracing the Japanese culture earlier in life.  My parents encouraged me to take Japanese classes when I was in middle school.  They signed me up for the local Japanese baseball league... as well as the Boy Scout troop located in San Jose's Japantown.

Sadly... I actually wanted to separate myself from the Japanese-American label and focus on only the American part.  I know it's crazy... but when it came to school and my neighborhood... I could count the number of Japanese kids on the fingers of one of my hands.

But once a year... I would toss that ridiculousness aside and take part in Obon Festival in Japantown.  It's a Buddhist event that celebrates our ancestors and a place where the community gets together to hang out, listen to taiko drumming, eat delicious food, play games, and dance.

These days, I don't attend very often.  I'm not a fan of large crowds.  But my friend asked me to join her and her mom this past Saturday... and I couldn't pass up the invitation.

I'm glad I did... because the food was yummy and the company was even better.  I even ran into a few familiar faces... including a couple of former students, my dad's physical therapist, and an ex-girlfriend.

The best part about it is we left before the large crowds started showing up.

Anyways... I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to show off some singles of Japanese baseball players that John over at Johnny's Trading Spot sent me a few months ago:


This first picture shows off all of the Japanese baseball players he sent me over the past few months... sorted by player.

Unlike him... there's no way I have the patience to scan all of the singles.  But I did pick out a few of my favorites...

2008 Topps Chrome Blue Refractor #217

I've got to admit... I have no idea who Kazuo Fukumori is.  But this card is gorgeous.  I'm a big fan of the 2008 Topps design and I love how the blue border matches his Rangers jersey.

2016 Bowman Chrome Prospects #BCP142
2016 Topps Chrome #92

I was a little surprised that I didn't already own these two rookie cards of Kenta MaedaDid you know that Maeda has the second most wins among active pitchers born in Japan?  It's not very likely he'll ever catch Yu Darvish.  In fact... it's more likely that this guy will pass him up:

2023 Big League Roll Call #RC-3

This was the only Ohtani in the care package, but it sure is awesome!  By the way... Ohtani probably won't catch Maeda this season.  But there's a decent chance he passes this guy up as the MLB home run leader among players born in Japan:

2003 Upper Deck #501

Just like the Maedas... I was surprised I didn't already own this particular rookie card.  And just like Ohtani... this insert looks awesome:

2021 Archives 1989 Topps Big Foil #89BF-8

The next card was probably worth a pretty penny when it was pulled from a pack back in 2008 (assuming it was pulled in 2008):

2008 Finest Refractor #1

At the time, I was just getting back in the hobby... and Dice K was one of the hottest players in the hobby.  In fact... he's one of the handful of players that got me interested in collecting Japanese athletes.  The guy is truly a WBC legend winning the first two WBC MVP Awards.

It's kind of a shame that his MLB career wasn't as successful.  Although his 2008 season was pretty impressive.

Here's one more card of Matsuzaka that John sent that I wanted to share:

2007 Topps #630

This fits goes well with the other 2007 Topps cards I have of him:


If you're bored... you can look for some of the variations on the backs...


Next up are three new Ichiros for my binder:

2018 Heritage #300
2018 Topps Gallery #148
2017 Topps All-Time All-Stars #ATAS-32

And last, but not least... my very first cards of Masataka Yoshida:

2023 Topps Big League #58
2023 Topps Big League Electric Orange #58
2023 Bowman #58

I've been following his season... and hopefully he doesn't end up being the next one-season-wonder.

Thank you John for donating over 100 new cards to my Japanese athlete collection... and for helping me embrace my Japanese heritage.  I'm just sorry it took so long for me to publish this post.

Side note... this post was actually delayed an additional three weeks.  I originally scheduled this post for Tuesday, July 11th... but I guess I never hit the "publish" button.  Just realized it this morning.

Happy Thursday... and sayonara!

Extra Innings

Just a quick Gwynn giveaway update.  I know that three people who requested some free Gwynns have received their packages.  But there are at least two who haven't:  


Sorry Anthony and Dan.

This was sort of a postal experiment for me.  Each PWE I sent weighed a little over 2 ounces, so I tried out a few different postage options.  Guess these two fell a little short.  I'm going to reship these two packages using the traditional rigid envelopes with non-machineable stamps.  I'll put them in the mail tomorrow.  Sorry about the delay.

15 comments:

Shlabotnik Report said...

If it helps you feel better I took German classes in high school and college because I'm half-German going back several generations... but I've forgotten much of what I learned because I rarely got a chance use it.

I don't remember Fukumori either, and a quick look tells me why: 4 career innings pitched over 4 games. FWIW, his 'regular' Topps card uses a different photo.

Brett Alan said...

My Gwynn package arrived yesterday. Haven't had the chance to go through it yet, but I appreciate it!

Elliptical Man said...

The second Ichiro wins it.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Happy to have helped! I took French in high school Spanish in college (also noting My last wife was Hispanic), and other than a phrase or two some numbers (and a pick up line), nada No intiendo.

Rebel Coyote said...

I'm asian descent and not even bother get into my roots. Mainly almost every asian I met growing were pricks. I don't feel any of it. I end being more rednecky and it was my thing prefer burgers, pizzas, and fried chicken over asian dishes. I also took spanish in high school and couldn't speak a lick. And I live in Texas where its a must at times.

sg488 said...

Thanks for reminding me of my favorite Japanese player, Godzilla!That is a great looking rookie card .

Anonymous said...

It's not "ridiculousness". It wasn't important to you then, but it is now. That's normal.

Matt said...

The wheels may have fallen off after those first few seasons, but there's no denying the Red Sox don't win in 2007 without Daisuke!

Junichi said...

I hear ya. My parents threw me into Japanese language school on Saturdays growing up and I hated it. Never got to sleep in and watch Saturday morning cartoons or play sports in high school. Now I appreciate the fact that I can read, write and speak Japanese near native level. I too collect every Japanese MLB player. Picked up rookies of Yoshida, Senga and Fujinami this season. Went to the Darvish bobblehead game a few weeks back. Unfortunately he got rocked giving up 4 bombs against the Pirates.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Sorry we couldn't meet up. This summer has been crazy busy though. I'm off to the County Fair today (speaking of childhood favorites) and may go to PA Obon Sunday.

Is funny. Obon wasn't part of my life until the last couple of decades. As a kid I went to them as part of visiting relatives in Hawaii but never did them here. I think my mom had it categorized with stuff she'd left behind when she came to the mainland.

Interestingly I've come to love Obon though because of how American it is. It's not an "authentic" Japanese festival but rather something distinctly Japanese-American, forged through internment but also a place where a whole bunch of mixed-race people get to celebrate how there's no such thing as being "part" Japanese. Really fun to see my kids treat it as a key summer experience.

Jon said...

Most kids aren't interested in their heritage, I certainly wasn't. Nowadays it's about the only thing that interests me.

Jafronius said...

I got the Gwynns a few days ago, thank you sir! Half were needs so good enough for me!

I've been asked why me and my siblings didn't learn Tagalog growing up, and I really didn't have an answer other than our parents never made us. I'd like to think that if they made us I would have benefited but I'd probably hate it since that's what kids do.

Sean said...

Its cool that you have an Obon festival there. I took my kids to ours the other day, it was a lot of fun.

Fuji said...

shlabotnik report - i've taken several years worth of spanish... and i've forgotten most of it. i'm guessing if i had taken japanese, i would have forgotten that as well. but it would have been cool to say i learned it once :D

bret alan - hope you enjoy it. let me know if you want to start a japanese mlb pc :D

elliptical man - he's staring into our souls

johnnys trading spot - i took spanish in high school and college... and had to look up nada no intiendo :D

rebel coyote - i love burgers and pizza... just as much as japanese food. not that big on fried chicken though. rather have a fat steak or good bbq.

sg488 - i was so happy when he landed in oakland. wish he played here longer than one season

anonymous - i hear ya. but it was more than just being important. i was kinda embarrassed to be japanese at the time and just wanted to be american. that's what i find to be ridiculous

matt - yeah... that was one heckuva season for dice k

junichi - that's awesome that you got darvish's bobble head. i have tons of extra japanese mlb players. lmk if you're looking for specific players and i can send some your way. ps... no way i'd pass up saturday morning cartoons for japanese school :D

nick vossbrink - hope you had fun at the county fair. honestly had no idea they still held it each summer. as for the obon... i only know the "bay area" version of it... which as you mentioned is very americanized. glad your kids get to experience it on an annual basis. i'm not sure when i'll go back. i might just send my friend down to grab me some food

jon - when i taught elementary, i did a project where the kids learned about their heritage or one that they were really interested in. maybe i need to bring it to my middle school students

jafronius - glad they arrived and you could use some of them. when i first started teaching (25 years ago)... more of my filipino students could speak tagalog. maybe it was a generational thing though

sean - we have three in our area (that i know of): san jose, mountain view, and palo alto. but i pretty much only go to the san jose one... and i rarely even attend that one.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Fair was surprisingly good. Not what it was but still fun. Post going up Monday.