30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Twenty Six Years & Counting

The Little League World Series will always be special to me, because it's one of the annual sporting events my mom actually showed an interest in.  Like I mentioned before, she was the one who signed me up to play baseball when I was a little kid.  She also volunteered to be the team mom at least once... and played catch with me on our front lawn numerous times.  So every year when it rolls around, I'll monitor the box scores and root for teams from California, Hawaii, or Japan.

The 2023 Little League World Series kicks off tomorrow and to celebrate the event, I wanted to post three books that I've been sitting on since January.  Back in the early 90's, Bruce Nash and Allan Zullo published several books dedicated to professional athletes and their boyhood stories.  Within each of these books, there are five uncut sheets of cards with each sheet containing nine cards.

1991 More little BIG LEAGUERS #NNO

Now I had seen the Mark McGwire card at some point, but didn't really know where it came from.  Then in January, Nachos Grande wrote about his Barry Larkin card... which led me to discovering this book online:

1991 More little BIG LEAGUERS

This book includes the Barry Larkin, Mark McGwire, and forty-three other baseball players including Ken Griffey Jr.:

1991 More little BIG LEAGUERS #NNO

The cards aren't numbered, but they do include stories about the athlete from their youth.  In the case of Griffey, he never made an out at the plate or lost a game he pitched during his first season of Little League.  That's pretty impressive.

I was hoping that Tony Gwynn or Rickey Henderson would be included in the book, but they weren't.  However Gwynn was included in the 1990 book:

1990 little BIG LEAGUERS

Here's a look at the Gwynn:

1990 little BIG LEAGUERS #NNO

He's so young and skinny as a kid, I wouldn't have recognized him without his name being plastered on the card.


According to the back of his card, Tony and his teammates would sneak onto their opponent's home field and practice the day before big games.

Anyways... getting back to the books.  Instead of purchasing the Gwynn for $1.74 (+ tax), I decided to buy the book and all forty-five cards for $10 (+ 94¢ tax & free shipping).  The seller also had the 1991 book for the same price, so I grabbed that too.

I also picked up the football version for the same price from the same seller:

1990 little football BIG LEAGUERS

There wasn't a Steve Largent in the book, but two other Seahawks made the checklist: Brian Blades and Kelly Stouffer.  The lone Green Bay Packer was Perry Kemp.  I didn't think there'd be much interest in any of those guys, so I took a picture of the John Elway instead:

1990 little football BIG LEAGUERS #NNO

I'm not sure how accurate some of the stories printed on the back of these cards are, but at the very least they're interesting.  And the childhood photos are pretty cool too.

If any of you are interested in seeing the checklists for each of these books... I'll add links to them right here:




There's also a basketball version of these books, but I haven't been able to land one within my budget yet.  The issue has to do with Michael Jordan being on the checklist... which means they aren't really cheap (at least to me).

Well... with the arrival of the Little League World Series... it usually signals the end of my summer break.  Although i've been going into my classroom the past ten days... I'll be officially returning for professional development on Thursday for the start of my 26th year of teaching.

1986 Topps #230

That's the same number of years that Tommy John pitched in the MLB.

1971 Topps #39

That's the same number of years that George Blanda played in the NFL.

1985-86 Topps #51

1968-69 Topps #29

And that's the same number of years that Chris Chelios and Gordie Howe each played in the NHL.  In case you are wondering... that does not include the six seasons Howe played in the WHA.

Teaching might not be in the same category as playing a professional sport... but just like Little Leaguers... sometimes guys like me need to dream a little and draw comparisons.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

14 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

Some star power in all three.
Now I know Bo Jackson was a catcher.

The Snorting Bull said...

Hockey Hall of Famer Pierre Turgeon played in the Little League World Series, but does not have a card. A little disappointed. Best wishes for a great new school year!

Bo said...

I was aware of the little big leaguer set but didn't know they came from a book.

The Lost Collector said...

Nice! I always watched it growing up. Now I coach a team at this age...and well, these kids are a lot better. It must be fun to coach!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Thank you for your service! And yes, I would put you right up there with those athletes. Not because I think teachers are great (truthfully, I think most suck and athletes too). No it is because I know you are a teacher that cares and is committed to your students. Around here teaching is one of the lower paying jobs (keep in mind the avg. annual salary for all jobs here in north central Florida is just $19K), and the reason people go into the career here is NOT for the pay, and certainly NOT for the kids. They do it because of the STATE benefits provided which is pretty awesome -the benefits that is. Putting several kids (5) through the system (thank goodness that is over) you learn what teachers actually give a damn. My youngest who really wanted to be a nurse is working on her certificate now just so she can always be working where my grandson is going to school. That reasoning is a whole story in itself. Good teachers should be commended and often, so I say again. Thank you sir.

Jafronius said...

I looked up that basketball checklist...quite impressive. Too bad it Jordan isn't in a basketball uniform. Are you keeping the cards in the books? Good luck this year!

Mark Zentkovich said...

👍

Nick said...

I've never seen these before, but they're really cool! Might have to pick up a copy of the two baseball editions myself.

Angus said...

I need to get the football one for the Browns in it. From memory, I believe there is a Bernie Kosar and a Clay Matthews.

Crocodile said...

Congrats on making it 26 years! And the LL books are pretty cool too.

Matt said...

Have a great school year!

Robert said...

26 years of teaching, impressive!! I'm a few months away from 25 years with the company I'm with. Time has flown.

Fuji said...

elliptical man - good eyes. i didn't even catch that until you left that comment

the snorting bull - good call. chris drury is another nhl player who played in the llws

bo - me either

the lost collector - i've been watching the highlights on youtube and some of these kids are so talented.

johnnys trading spot - thanks john. yeah... i don't think i've met a single teacher who does this primarily for the money. i feel like many of us want to make a positive impact on the community... and because we enjoy giving back. it's also to build relationships with students... and the benefits are a bonus. honestly... one of the greatest things i've experienced over the years is having former students come back and give thanks. i've kept most of the letters they've given me and this summer i expanded it to 4 3" binders. that kind of stuff is truly priceless.

jafronius - yeah... they're in the books. if i can pick up an extra book, i'll cut them out and put them into player pc's

nick - they're affordable... and almost fall into the dime box category

angus - just checked and those are the only browns in the book

crocodile - thanks. hard to believe it's been so many years

matt- thanks. i have some really awesome classes. i'm pretty stoked

robert - thanks. congratulations on 25 years with one company.

Anonymous said...

Teachers will always be more important than athletes. Thank you for your service to our youth!