30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Flea Market Finds #156: 70's Wax and Vinyl

Not sure if you've heard the news... but California has been hit with a lot of rain this year... which has been both a blessing and a nightmare depending on where you live and who you ask.

This has definitely impacted my ability to walk around local flea markets in search of card board and fresh air.  But three Saturdays ago there was a break in between storms, so I hopped into my car and headed to Branham High School for their monthly flea market.

There were only a few guys with cards, but I managed to find a few things for my collection.


Purchase #170's Non-Sport Wax Pack  $3

1976 Topps Hysterical History Wax Pack

My first purchase was from a regular who is more known for his toys and lunch boxes.  However he did have a few wax packs sitting on one of his shelves.


They were all of the non-sport variety, but this is the only one that really caught my eye.  I've never heard of this set before, so I picked it up for my unopened wax pack collection.

Since I have no plans on opening it up, I searched the internet and found a link for those interested in seeing what the singles look like.


Purchase #2Stack of Spider-Man Cards  $1


Across the aisle there was a vendor with a bunch of books, newspapers, and calendars spread out across several tables.  I was looking for any sports books when I saw a team bag filled with these cards.  As I was looking through them, the gentleman told me I could take them all for a buck.  No way I was going to pass them up.

I've got no idea what these are though.  They look like 1995 Welches Eskimo Pie Spider-Man Timeline cards, but these don't have a printed back.  They look like they were cut out from a box of Eskimo Pies


Purchase #3Bicentennial Record  $2


This isn't the typical vinyl I'm seeking at the flea market, but I saw this on a table and the cover piqued my interest.


This
song was written by a guy I've never heard who appeared to be very fond of his annual visits to San Jose.  He loved the city so much, he wrote a song about it.

I know that some vinyl enthusiasts like to see the labels, so here you go:


I found the song on YouTube, but honestly it's not really my kind of music.


However this record is a cool addition to my San Jose PC as it features two great photos of the city I grew up in when it was still littered with orchards.


Purchase #4Baseball Cards Sets  $3


One of the regular vendors I buy from had some card sets in a box.  I grabbed six of them and he told me I could have them for three bucks.

Unfortunately, two of the sets were incomplete.  The 1990 Fleer League Standouts set is missing the Darryl Strawberry... and the 1992 Fleer All-Star set is less than half complete.  I'm not too concerned though.  This guy has hooked me up with plenty of deals over the years.  And honestly I'm still happy with this purchase, because there's a cool Ryne Sandberg manager card in that 2011 Choice Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs minor league set.


Purchase #5Vintage Sports Illustrated  $1

Sports Illustrated 12/22/69

Picked this up from the same vendor with the cheap sets.  This issue isn't clean and even has some water marks on the back cover... but it was hard to pass it up for a buck.  Here's a quick peek inside:

1970 Ford Torino Cobra

As soon as you open the magazine, you're treated to awesome foldout advertisement.  I don't know too much about older cars, but I'm guessing it was cool to own one of these back in the day.


For any Tom Seaver or New York Mets fans, here's the complete article:

Sportsman of the Year Article

Figured some of you might appreciate some baseball stadiums from the late 60's:

The Sporting Sixties As Sculptured in Concrete

The Oakland Coliseum is the laughing stock of MLB stadiums in 2023... but back in 1969, it was the second most expensive stadium out of these ten.

The rest of the scans are dedicated to my favorite photographs in the issue:

Muhammad Ali vs. Sonny Liston 5/25/65

OJ Simpson

Peter Norman, Tommie Smith, & John Carlos
200m Podium @ 1968 Summer Olympics 10/16/68

Paul Hornung

Okay... that's enough about this dollar magazine and honestly enough writing for today.

The magazine was the last purchase of the day.  There was one vendor who purchased a storage container filled with memorabilia that had some really cool things like uncut sheets and Oakland A's stadium giveaways.  Unfortunately his prices were based on eBay closed listings... which is not what I'm looking to spend while walking around the flea market.

Hopefully he'll be out there in a few weeks again with updated prices.  If he is... I might have some cool stuff to show off the next time around.

Until then... happy Tuesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Laurens said...

Old magazines can be such a trip to the past - I like the stadium blurbs.

Crocodile said...

Lots of good stuff there. What exactly is an Ironpig?

Nick said...

I would've been all over those sealed oddball sets for that price!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

The magazine was a good deal. I'll put a sticky note on my PC dupe boxes to pull that strawberry and any of the all star set cards out... in fact thaa is now done (the stick note).

sg488 said...

That San Jose song sucked ,I'm sure you know the best San Jose song is Do You Know The Way To San Jose,Dionne Warick.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Man, such a fun and eclectic mix of things you found!

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

That's a lot of good stuff. Never heard of History cards. And old magazines are a lot of fun.

Mark Zentkovich said...

👍

Nick Vossbrink said...

Nice magazine. Love the comment about Candlestick being enlarged soon.

Jafronius said...

Seconding sg488...Dionne's San Jose song is the clear superior!

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Very cool stuff!

The Lost Collector said...

Another great trip to the flea market for you. Always enjoy you sharing your experiences.

Bo said...

Old sports magazines are great. The thrift store I was in this weekend had stacks of 1960s magazines, stuff like "1968 Baseball Preview". They were $3-4 each, but I resisted the temptation.

I'll have to see if I have any extra matchbooks from San Jose.

Fuji said...

laurens - i'm a big fan of flipping through old magazines and looking at old ads and fashion styles.

crocodile - i'm guessing it's a pig made out of iron

nick - the only downside is that two of the sets were incomplete. but i'm not complaining

johnnys trading spot - thanks johnny. let me know if you want this sports illustrated issue. i'll send it your way.

sg488 - lol. yeah, it wasn't my kind of jam. and i agree with you in regards to dionne's song

sumomenkoman - hope one of these days we get a chance to hit up a flea market before you leave cali

1975baseballlcards.com - never heard of those cards either. wish he had two packs, because it would have been cool to open one up.

nick vossbrink - i wonder what it must have been like to go to candlestick before it was enlarged... when it still had a view of the bay.

jafronius - yeah. can't argue with either of you.

wax pack wonders - thanks. better than coming home empty-handed (which has happened a few times in recent years)

the lost collector - thanks aj. it was just nice to get out of the house and get some fresh air. the purchases were bonuses

bo - i think the only magazines i'd spend more than a dollar for would be older card magazines or si for kids with cards intact. i might spend a couple of bucks for a 1972 baseball review.

Jon said...

Are there any orchards left in San Jose?

Sean said...

Looks like it was a productive trip. Even a half-complete 1992 Fleer All Star set is an amazing deal in a 6 for 3$ pile of sets!