30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Challenge Accepted

Back in February, Chris over at Nachos Grande challenged himself to come up with a list of his favorite games with one tiny catch.  The names of these games had to start with the appropriate letter in the name of his blog.

A week later, he tweaked the rules and turned it into a Blog Bat-Around.  Here's the challenge...

Take the letters in your blog's title and pair each letter with a baseball player that you like.  Feel free to use either first or last names when pairing your letters.

I enjoyed reading several bloggers' response posts, but haven't had time to hammer out one myself.  Well... I've been slowly adding names and scans to this post and I'm finally ready to reveal my first BBA contribution of 2023.

However I tweaked things a little myself.  Since my card collection isn't only focused on baseball, I opened it up to all sports.  So sit back, relax, and see enjoy my response to The Alphabet Challenge...


TTony Gwynn

1998 Paramount Fielder's Choice #14

Tony has been my favorite athlete for most of my card collecting history.  It's fitting that he kicks off this post.


HRickey Henderson

1981 Fleer #574

Henderson was my favorite baseball player before Gwynn.  If only he hadn't gotten traded to the New York Yankees on December 5, 1984.


EEd Reed

2002 Topps Chrome Refractor #208

There are two E's in my blog title.  One was a no-brainer.  The other was a tough call.

Ed came down to a last minute audibleEckersley was originally in this slot, but ultimately I swapped him out for one of the most exciting football players in the history of the game.  The other E that I considered was Eddie Jones of the Lakers.


CSteve Carlton

1983 Topps #70

Carlton was my favorite pitcher growing up and this card has been treasured for forty years.


HTim Hardaway

1990 Fleer Rookie Sensation #8

Hideo Nomo was the first "H" person that came to mind, but I moved him into another slot during the final revision of this post.

Hardaway was one of my favorite non-Lakers from my childhood and I'm a little ashamed that he didn't come to mind until right before I published this post.


RJackie Robinson

1997 All-Star Fan Fest Tribute to Jackie Robinson #5

I've had a deep admiration for Jackie Robinson for as long as I can remember.  I only wish that I had started collecting his cards before the late 2000's.


OShaquille O'Neal

1999-00 Skybox E-X E-Xceptional #12XC

Not gonna lie... it feels weird having O'neal in this post when he isn't even in my Top 5 Los Angeles Lakers of all-time.  But he's in the Top 10.


NHideo Nomo

1996 Upper Deck V.J. Lovero Showcase #VJ2

Nomo was the first Japanese athlete I can remember actively collectingSorry Lynn Sakata.


IIchiro Suzuki

2008 UD Masterpieces #81

When I returned to the hobby in 2008, Ichiro was one of the first baseball players I started chasingFifteen years later, I'm just as excited to add a new card of his to my binder as I was back then.


CSteve Caballero

2019 Goodwin Champions 3D Lenticular #LB-SC

There's an outside chance I'm overlooking another athlete out there whose name starts with a "C"... but Caballero came to me early and I didn't even bother thinking about anyone else.


LSteve Largent

1990 Action Packed #254

The third or fourth no-brainer on this listLargent is my favorite football player of all-time.


EEarvin "Magic" Johnson

1986-87 Fleer #53

The Showtime Lakers were the reason I became a Lakers fan in the 80's.  They were super fun to watch... and Earvin was a huge part of that.  


SKurt Suzuki

2012 Sega Card-Gen #J12-129

I'm sure glad there was an "S" in the title of my blog, otherwise I might have to rename it:  The Khronicles of Fuji.  Heck... I'm debating changing it for Kobe.


OShohei Ohtani

2018 SI for Kids #735

Yup.  I'm definitely on the Ohtani bandwagon and I'm crossing my fingers he'll be a San Diego Padre in 2024.  I'd rather see him in an Oakland jersey, but we know that won't be happening in my lifetime.


FBrett Favre

1997 Green Bay Packers Police #4

Favre was my favorite football player throughout the 90's and most of the 2000's.  And over the past few years, he's reclaimed the title of being my all-time favorite Green Bay Packer.


FJeff Friesen

2000-01 Topps Chrome Refractors #124

My all-time favorite San Jose Shark doesn't qualify for this post, but Friesen is a nice consolation prize as he's easily in the Top 5.

I thought about using Fernando Tatis Jr. and Mr. Fuji, but I've already picked eight baseball players for this post and Mr. Fuji was never considered my favorite wrestler.


UKanako Urai (Asuka)

2018 Topps WWE Women's Divison Champions #WC-15

On the other hand, Asuka is the only wrestler I really follow these days and her real name happens to fill the only letter I was seriously struggling with.

Before Urai... I was gonna use either Bob Uecker or The Undertaker.  Both of these guys would have been a huge stretch.


JMichael Jordan

1999-00 UD MVP Sample #S1

Jordan is one of my favorite player collections... even if I rarely write about it.  He's also another consolation prize since I'm not able to use my all-time favorite basketball playerKobe Bryant.


IArturs Irbe

1995-96 Parkhurst Goal Patrol #10

This post literally took me several weeks to write... and over that time Irbe was the only "I" name I considered.  I'm sure there's another athlete I'm overlooking, so if you think of any... leave them down in the comment section below.

Heck... if you there were any athletes you thought I'd use for this Blog Bat-Around that I missed, let me know.

Here are four that I wanted to use, but couldn't because their names don't fit my blog title:

1Kobe Bryant
2Greg Maddux
3Patrick Marleau
4Kristi Yamaguchi

And here are a few other athletes that were candidates that were eventually cut from the list:

1.  Fernando Tatis Jr.
2.  Eddie Jones
3.  Byron Scott
4.  Joe Sakic
5.  Devin Setoguchi
6 Aaron Rodgers
7 James Lofton
8 Russell Wilson
9.  Ricky Steamboat

Alright... I'm pretty confident that I left a few of my favorites out.  If you think of any, let me know in the comments.

Thank you Chris for kicking off this BBA!  Sorry it took so long for me to write this post.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Well done, now what would you have done if your blog name was super short? That would be a toughie.

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Arturs Irbe. Haven't heard that name in a while!

Those UD Masterpieces cards are great.

Nick said...

I might have to give this challenge a shot. Though I'd definitely only use the main title of my blog ("Dime Boxes") because adding the subtitle ("The Low-End Collector's Journey") would really stretch that post out!

The Angels In Order said...

That Nomo card is weird and fantastic at the same time. Love it. Love the Caballero card too. Often toyed with the idea of starting a skateboarder collection.

Sean said...

Very interesting choices!

When I see challenges like this I kind of wish I could go back in time and give my blog a shorter name.

Nachos Grande said...

What a fantastic post and such a fun mix of athletes from multiple sports. I love everything about this! Thanks for participating!

Dennis said...

Great choices of both names and cards!

Anonymous said...

Great cards and tough challenge. I don’t think I could stick to just baseball players like the post says I would have to do like you did and choose from every sport

Matt-SCC

sg488 said...

Was hoping for Reggie Jackson for the J but cant argue with Michael Jordan.

The Lost Collector said...

I love that Jordan MVP. I know not high end, but Jordan cards just feel different. Nice work on this!

Adam Ryan said...

I dig the inclusion of Asuka!

Jafronius said...

Fun post!

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - it would have been tougher to narrow down picks... but scanning and card selection would have been easier

wax pack wonders - irbe was a legend in my book. if i would have bought a player jersey back in the early 90's... it would have been his

nick - can't wait to read it. it was fun to write... but the searching for cards and scanning took longer than expected

the angels in order - it's nice to see card companies include skaters into products. i wish someone would release a set dedicated to them in this era

sean - there are pros and cons to the length of your blog name. on one hand... more letters means more searching and scanning. on the other hand... it allows you to add more of your favorites

nachos grande - thanks for bring this baa to the blogosphere.

dennis - thank you dennis!

anonymous - had i stuck to baseball, this would have been much more challenging and there would have been questionable choices

sg488 - this is gonna sound crazy, but i have never been a huge reggie jackson guy. i mean, i collect his cards... but i collect the a's... and hall of famers.

the lost collector - yeah... i looked through a stack of jordan promos and that photo is the one that stood out

adam ryan - she saved me. uecker or the undertaker would have been a stretch.

jafronius - thanks!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wow! 2 weeks…this was a fun post to read! Thanks!

Xavier Higgins said...

Was expecting Bert Campaneris as One of your Considerations.
What a Kick in the Nuts that A's are moving to Vegas though I believe you'll remain a fan of the Franchise regardless.
🌱🌿🍀🍃🌳

Fuji said...

sumomenkoman - these days it seems like every post is a multi-week process.

xavier higgins - completely dropped the ball on campaneris. although... i'm not sure he would have bumped caballero and lefty trumps both of them. as for the a's leaving... i'm totally bummed, but will continue to root for them.