30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, April 15, 2022

Pride of New York

Spring Break has arrived.  I've been looking forward to this day for weeks.  I'm looking forward to resting my body, driving my car, cleaning my office, and maybe even catching up on some card related stuff.

Not sure how many people have noticed that my blog has been placed on the back burner the past year or so.  I've even taken some extended breaks here and there.  In fact the majority of the posts published here are prewritten and scheduled several days and sometimes several weeks in advance.  The days of writing a post and publishing it on the same day are rarer than spotting blasters of Bowman at Target.

I wish I could promise the people who take the time to read my posts that things are going to go back to pre-pandemic times, but I just don't foresee it anytime soon.  That being said... today's post was written today, but the contents have been bouncing around in my head for several weeks now.

Now that the designated hitter is being used in all of baseball, I wanted to write about this card...

2003 UD Yankees Signature Series Pride of New York Autograph #PN-RB

This card has been sitting in an 800ct. box for a few years now.  It was part of a collection I purchased from my buddy that included a bunch of signatures, memorabilia cards, and manufactured relics.


The collection was part of a larger collection my friend had purchased.  I originally wrote about the purchase here if you want to check out a few of the nicer cards.

There are three more cards from this box that I want to share, but before I do, here's a card of Orlando Cepeda from my vintage binder:

1974 Topps #83

While Blomberg gets credit for being the first designated hitter in MLB history... Cepeda was the designated hitter sitting in the opposing dugout that day.


Cepeda's Red Sox destroyed the Yankees that day, but Blomberg had a better day at the plate.  He went 1 for 3 with a walk, while Cepeda was hitless with two strikeouts in his six at-bats.

Getting back to the 800ct. box collection, here are a pair of jersey cards featuring Elston Howard:

2000 UD Yankee Legends Legendary Pinstripes #EH-LP

On
April 14th, 1955... Howard became the first African American to play for the New York Yankees.  That took place eight years after Jackie Robinson made his debut.

Here's the latest addition to my Robinson collection:

2019 Topps Stickers #110

This card was NOT part of the collection I purchased.  It was part of the care package Reader X sent me back in February.

And since this post has a New York theme to it, here's one more card from his care package...


He actually sent me a stack of these Seinfeld playing cards, but this was hands down my favorite.  I love me some George Costanza.

And rounding out the post is one more New York related card that was part of that 800ct. box collection:

2014 Topps Update World Series Champions Ring #WSR-MR

Today every MLB player is wearing #42 on the back of their jersey... but Rivera was the last guy to wear that number on a daily basis.

Happy Jackie Robinson Day and sayonara!

10 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I did not need to see that the Constanza card.

Elliptical Man said...

Isn't gas like $6 a gallon these days? How much driving do you plan on doing?

Seinfeld might be my favorite sit-com of all-time.

I have a Blomberg card, but not an autographed one.

Xavier Higgins said...

Ah...The Timeless Art of Seduction!😆😆😆
Your free Content is a blessing whether it's daily or few and far between. God Bless You Fuji. We all need to stop and smell the roses 🌹 Bro! Looking Forward to hearing your reaction to the Sharks ephemera I sent you as Hockey Cards 🏒 are underrepresented in the Blogosphere.

Anonymous said...

The camera loves stoutness.

The Lost Collector said...

Have a good spring break!

John Sharp said...

Outstanding Seinfeld card!
Good Job.👍

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - lol. i love it

elliptical man - i paid $6.49 for supreme earlier in the week. no long distance trips besides vegas. i just want to cruise around in the new car. might take it to slo. seinfeld is definitely up there with the office as my favorite

xavier higgins - i'll get on that sharks post. maybe i'll have it up in time for the stanley cup playoffs. shame the tiburones won't be playing this postseason

anonymous - george knows how to pose and show off that body

the lost collector - thanks. it's off to a great start

john sharp - it's a shame they didn't produce a seinfeld trading card set

The Snorting Bull said...

Love those Elston Howard cards. I have dabbled with collecting him at times, because he is from St. Louis. Wild to think that both he and Yogi Berra were from neighborhoods a couple miles apart.

Daniel Wilson said...

Great stuff! Love how you tied so many different cards into one NY themed post. I think Elston Howard is often overlooked and underrated as a player. A Seinfeld trading card set with autographs and memorabilia cards would be amazing, especially since baseball and baseball cards were featured throughout the show.

Matt said...

Dang need those seinfeld cards lol