30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, April 21, 2022

Picture Perfect

When it comes to well-cropped action shots on vintage cardboard, the 1978 Topps New York Yankees team set immediately comes to mind.  Roy White, Sparky Lyle, Thurman Munson, Don Gullett, Bucky Dent, Jim Hunter, Chris Chambliss, Fran Healy, and Mickey Rivers all have fantastic looking cards in the set.

But my two favorites are the Ron Guidry and Reggie Jackson cards:

1978 Topps #135

As much as I can't stand the New York Yankees, I've actually been a fan of Guidry since I was a kid.  Back in the early 80's, my family had an Apple IIe with an awesome baseball simulation game.  Seeing his 1978 stats instantly made me a fan.  Plus it doesn't hurt that he's a fellow lefty.

As for Reggie...

1978 Topps #200

The timing of this photo is absolutely perfect.  Look at that swing!  His knee is nearly scraping the ground.  Then there's the pinstripes, stirrups, 'stache, and shades.  It's gorgeous!

Both of these cards set me back about the price of a blaster.  I picked up the Reggie back in December of 2017 on eBay for $14 (free shipping).  Ahh... the good old days when I didn't have to pay tax on purchases.  The Guidry was a pandemic purchase (December 2020).  Surprisingly, I won the auction with a $3.50 bid (+ $4 shipping & 32¢ tax).  I'm pretty sure the ST qualifier turned off any other interested parties, but I don't even notice the stain in the scan:


The stain might be on the front of the card, but I didn't see it there either.

Well there you have it... two more well cropped action shots and two more additions to my Classic Cards Collection.

Happy Throwback Thursday and sayonara!

13 comments:

GTT said...

Nice Yankees! Guidry was one of my dad's favorites.

night owl said...

I was always annoyed in '78 that the Yankees got all the good shots.

Crocodile said...

The '78 set is one of my all time favorites and that Reggie is fantastic. His RB card is just as good in my opinion.

John Sharp said...

Louisiana Lightning!

sg488 said...

I had a 1969 Nolan Ryan graded by PSA 20 years ago it came back psa 8 (st).In 20 years since of looking at this card I still cant see where the stain is.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

The '78 set is my favorite...still haven't finished it though.

Nick said...

'78 Reggie might well be my favorite Reggie, which is saying something because he has a lot of cards I like.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Yeah, I can comment. 78' Topps were the first set I tried to complete when they were released. Did it too.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Liked that Guidry so much I sent it out TTM. https://njwvautos.wordpress.com/1978/01/01/ron-guidry-1978-topps/

1978T does well with sigs but the action shots (especially Yankees and Mets) do especially well.

The Lost Collector said...

That Guidry is one of my favorite cards from he '70s!

Matt said...

Even as a Red Sox fan I can appreciate Guidry's greatness. I was lucky enough to get a ball signed by him a few years back during Spring Training.

Anonymous said...

I think the '80 Reggie beats the '78. Can't go wrong with either.

Fuji said...

gtt - i'm kind of surprised that guidry doesn't receive a little more hobby love. hoping topps puts him in their archives fan favorites autographs sets again one day.

night owl - yeah, i wish they would have spread the love to the other 25 mlb teams

crocodile - pretty sure the rb photo was taken the same day.

john sharp - cool nickname for a cool lefty

sg488 - i'm wondering if it's a non-wax (or gum) stain. like maybe it's a tiny ink spot somewhere. oh well... buy the card and not the grade, right?

swing and a pop-up - the only reason i have a complete set is b/c i bought it years ago. good luck with your set build

nick - reggie has been blessed with a lot of cool cards (especially topps base cards).

johnnys trading spot - that's awesome that you built that set by opening packs. my first was either 1986 or 1987

nick vossbrink - your guidry looks awesome with that signature. it's cool that he signs through the mail

the lost collector - mine too. if it didn't hurt my brain too much from overthinking, i'd actually like to create a top 10 list. problem is there were so many cool cards from that decade

matt - very cool. i should actually try and get a ball signed by him for my lefty pc.

anonymous - had to look up the card, but you're right... it's a nice looking card.