30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Career on Cards

When it comes to card collecting, I'm a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of guy.  But a quick look at my spending habits over the past thirteen years would reveal that a high percentage of my cardboard budget has gone to picking up autographs, memorabilia cards, and graded rookie cards.

Yup.  I'm the collector who enjoys collecting "hits" for my team and player collections.

That being said... my collecting roots go back to the early 80's where there were no such "hits".  It was all about base cards and set building.  And even though sometimes it might not come off that way in my blog posts, both of these things are very important to me and my collection.

Back in the fall of 2021, I spent several months sorting and organizing cards in my garage.  That's when my latest card project was born (actually reborn).  The goal is to complete entire Topps base card runs of specific players in my collection.

I'm all about keeping things simple and straight to the point... so here are my guidelines:

1Playing Years Only (Sunset Cards too)
2Topps Flagship Only
3Regular Base Cards Only (no subsets)
4Only Dupes (Singles won't come from sets or player collections)

Buster Posey's retirement was the inspiration for this project.  While sifting through boxes, I kept coming across small patches of his cards.  I started setting them aside and after awhile, I decided to see how many different Topps base cards I had accumulated.  Then I though it'd be kind of cool to collect one of each of his cards and toss them into 9-pocket pages.

At some point during the sort... I remembered doing this for Steve Carlton and Thurman Munson... and the project was reborn.  Ultimately, I decided to put Posey on the back-burner (only have 6 of his 12 cards) and set my sights on Tony Gwynn.  He's my all-time favorite athlete and I have a ton of extras laying around.

Unfortunately... I fell one card short of Gwynn's Topps base card run from 1983 to 2002.  Let's see which one I need...

1983 Topps #482

This is one of my favorite cards of all-time.  In fact, the only card I love more is the 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson.  I know there are some who don't like staring at Gwynn's butt... but I like the action shot paired with the portrait.

1984 Topps #251

1985 Topps #660

1986 Topps #10

1987 Topps #530

This is another one of my favorites.  I really like this design... and the angle of the photograph is different.

1988 Topps #360

1989 Topps #570

1990 Topps #730

1991 Topps #180

1992 Topps #270

1993 Topps #5

It took Topps ten years to use a well-cropped photo of Gwynn... where no limbs or pieces of equipment were chopped off.  I think I'm gonna have to chase down all versions (Micro, Gold, Marlins Inauguration, & Rockies Inauguration) of this card.

1994 Topps #620

Ugh.  This is the lone Tony Gwynn base card that I'm missing for this project.  I have a copy as part of my Tony Gwynn PC, but that collection ranks higher than the Topps Base Card Run PC.

1995 Topps #431

This is the first card since 1984 where Topps didn't honor Gwynn with a zero at the end of his card number or placed him within the first five cards in the set.  What's weird is that 1994 was arguably one of his best seasons as he chased .400.

1996 Topps #250

1997 Topps #410

1998 Topps #1

After Gwynn won his 8th and final NL Batting Title... Topps honored him with the #1 card in the set.

1999 Topps #75

2000 Topps #2

2001 Topps #220

On June 28, 2001... Gwynn told the San Diego Padres and their fans he was hanging up his cleats at the end of the season.  He had been dealing with a strained hamstring up to that point and had been out of the lineup since early May.  A few days after the announcement, he returned to the field but mostly as a pinch hitter.

2002 Topps #99

Topps sent Gwynn off into the sunset with card #99Who had the privilege of being card #19?  Dmitri Young.  C'mon Topps.  You can do better.  I'm also a little disappointed that Gwynn never received the honor of being a double zero card on the checklist.

What's next?  Well... the plan is to take on each Topps Base Card Run one player at a time.  As soon as I grab the 1994 Topps Gwynn, I'll move onto the next player.  Here's a hint... he was Tony's teammate on two separate occasions... and played on nine different teams during his twenty-five season career.

Let's wrap things up with today's question.  Based on the twenty cards in today's post...

What's your favorite Topps base card design?

I'll go one step further and list my top five:

1st1983
2nd1987
3rd1984
4th1991
5th1985

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

19 comments:

Crocodile said...

My top 5 for Gwynn would be 1983, 1995, 1984, 1993, and maybe 1986.
I probably have a '94 laying around here somewhere.

Laurens said...

Choices subject to change:

1. 1985
2. 1988
3. 1983
4. 1995
5. 1984

Elliptical Man said...

I like the '85 of these, but it's not my favorite Topps set.

Expecting Rickey Henderson next.

Jongudmund said...

I'm sure I have a spare 1994 Base card. The one I had trouble getting hold of was the horrible 1996 card.

Also there's no need to be coy - we all know the next player you're going to do this for will be Rickey!

jacobmrley said...

He, quite literally, had a good run. They properly got him in mostly hitting poses, which makes all the sense. I think 1992 is my favorite, I am a sucker for batting practice photos.

Also, if you need a 1994 Topps, I know I have one here for you.

John Bateman said...

1983 - I also forgot how the 1987 shot is only the back of his head.

RunForeKelloggs said...

1983
1984
1997
1992
1994

Nick Vossbrink said...

For the Gwynns shown: 85, 93, 86, 96. Love the 83 design but have never liked the action photo o his card.

This is an interesting project to do with guys you already PC. It's basically the backbone of what I'm doing for my alumni PC although I'm happy to branch out and add whatver else looks interesting.

Brett Alan said...

Just from those years, I'd probably agree with you on 1983 being the best design. 2001 is quite nice as well.

GCA said...

I love filling player collections for people, especially when they're just starting and don't have all the easy ones. Though the "Topps only" restriction is a pain because for guys in the 2000s anyway, I have tons of Upper Deck, Donruss, Fleer and other brands that I could really move.

Bo said...

If you still need the '94 Tony Gwynn I've got a couple extras, let me know if you want it and I'll throw it in with the Babe Ruth and a few other cards I've got for you.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I bet you wind up with plenty of 94' Gwynns. I am nearing a box fill for you, won't be long now (maybe another month).

Nick said...

'65 is my all-time favorite Topps design, but my favorite Gwynn is probably the '83. I don't love the set as a whole as much as most other collectors, but that specific card is terrific.

sg488 said...

67,69,74,76 and 81.

The Snorting Bull said...

My top 5 Topps base card designs, based on the ones in this set:

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1991
4. 1992
5. 1995

SumoMenkoMan said...

For me it will always be 1987!

Bulldog said...

The 85 design is my favorite amongst these. The 87 is my favorite Gwynn is my favorite for the same reasons. Good post.

Jafronius said...

1987 for me as well. First year for me collecting and I always thought "what an unique viewpoint for a great hitter". Posey shouldn't be difficult to complete though.

Fuji said...

Apologize for the late response to your comments. Guess last week flew by, b/c I completely dropped the ball. Anyways... I appreciate all of the offers on the 1994. If you have one and were already gonna send me a PWE or something, I'll take it. But don't go out of your way. I'm sure I'll find it laying in a dime box now that I know I need a copy.

crocodile - 1993 almost made my list. it would definitely be in my top 10

laurens - 1995 seems pretty popular and i know there are other bloggers who really like the 1988 design

elliptical man - where does the 1985 design rank among your favorite topps flagship designs? and yup. rickey is next.

jongudmund - thanks for the offer, but no way i can let you ship that across the atlantic. for the cost of shipping, you could buy 20 copies of that card

jacobmrley - 1992 would make my top 10 (from these designs)

john bateman - topps loved using side and back shots of gwynn

runforekelloggs - 1997 is an interesting choice. i think i'd like that design more if they used team colors instead of nl/green & al/red.

nick vossbrink - you're not alone. i know of at least one other blogger who doesn't like that action photo on gwynn's rookie card.

cardboard jones - i love the 1965 design too. definitely in my top 10 all-time. i don't think i have a lot of 2002 topps laying around, but now i'm very curious about the photography

brett alan - i'd love to see 2001 use team colored borders in place of that green.

gca - if i ever expand to the other card companies, it'll be after i buy my retirement home and i have a dedicated man cave with lots of space. lol. in other words... not anytime soon.

bo - if you were gonna send a pwe already... then i'd love a copy. thanks in advance

johnnys trading spot - lol. it'd be funny if i get enough for a 9-pocket page. thanks for always looking out for me john. i actually found some more braves to send your way eventually.

nick - love the 1965 design as well. i've loved the 1983 design ever since i opened up packs back as a kid. it'll always hold a special place in my collection

sg488 - out of the ones you listed, the 1976 design is my favorite

the snorting bull - had no idea 1995 was so popular.

sumomenkoman - love that set too. i opened up tons of boxes from costco when i was a kid.

bulldog - i was thinking about the 1987 card being my next wallet card

jafronius - i'm sure i'll find the missing poseys the next time i walk around the card show.