30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, February 21, 2022

Another Topps Base Card Run

Ten days ago I showed off the almost-complete Topps Base Card Run for Tony Gwynn and mentioned that I would only work on one run at a time.  I also hinted that Rickey Henderson would be the next guy I'd target as soon as I was finished.  Well... I lied.

This morning I opened up a flat rate box from Corky @ Pack War that contained a ton of Steve Largents for my collection.  When I say a ton... I'm talking about his care package easily doubled, possibly tripled my Steve Largent PC.

Today I wanted to focus on twelve of the cards he sent me...

1978 Topps #443

1979 Topps #198

1980 Topps #450

This is the first and only time Topps honored Largent with a zero at the end of his card number.

1981 Topps #271

I became a Seattle Seahawk fan sometime during the 1981 football season while visiting my cousin who was attending UW at the time.

1982 Topps #249

Largent quickly became my favorite player as he was hands down their best player and one of the elite receivers in the game.

1983 Topps #389

1984 Topps #196

1985 Topps #389

Topps might not have given him another zero or double zero card, but he did get to be on card #389 twice.

1986 Topps #203

1987 Topps #177

1988 Topps #135

1989 Topps #183

At the end of the 1989 season, Largent retired and held every major receiving record at the time.  He is a member of the NFL's 1980's All-Decade Team, the 100th Anniversary All-Time Team, and Seattle Seahawks Ring of Honor.  In 1992, the Seattle Seahawks retired his jersey number.

2005 UD Legends #6
2017 Panini Illusions Matching Numbers #MN-5
2005 UD Legends #63

However when Jerry Rice was traded to the Seattle Seahawks in 2004, the Hawks allowed the GOAT to wear #80.  By the way, these three cards were also part of Corky's care package.

And if you're wondering if he included Largent's rookie card to complete the Steve Largent Topps Base Card Run... he didn't.  But that's okay.  I already had one...

1977 Topps #177

I just noticed that in 1987, Topps gave Largent the same card number as his rookie card.  That's pretty cool.  Just like it was pretty cool of Corky to hook me up with all of these cards.  

Thanks Corky By the way... Elliptical Man also sent me a pair of Largents as well as a few other Seahawks and Green Bay Packers for my collection.  But I'm gonna show them off in another post.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

11 comments:

The Diamond King said...

Wow, great package! I feel like Largent has been somewhat forgotten with today's pass happy NFL blowing up receiving numbers. And I love that 'Matching Numbers' card, very cool!

Crocodile said...

Awesome cards. I've been a fan of his for as long as I can remember.

gcrl said...

seeing this kinda makes me want to complete the run of lawrence mccutcheon cards. football cards from this era are cool.

night owl said...

Thanks again for the Largent rookie card you sent! If you ever get an extra one from the '79 set you know where to send it.

John Bateman said...

Largent maybe the only Player to get a card in each topps set for the decade of the 1980s (I did a quick look at the 1989 set and could not think of another player who was in each set for the decade)>.

sg488 said...

Phil Simms

Jongudmund said...

I like these base run posts. I'm not as familiar with football card designs so seeing the different looks was very enjoyable. The 1985 design seems to be the odd one out.

Jon said...

It sounds like Shawn gave you most of his Largent collection.

Fuji said...

the diamond king - yeah today's receiving numbers are crazy high. but at the time, he was the man. to be honest... i had sort of put largent on the backburner until recently. but corky's care package has me hungry for more largents

crocodile - the great thing about collecting largent is there's a good amount of cards for you to collect, but not an insane amount

gcrl - i say go for it! it's a fun way to collect cards.

night owl - the goal is to organize my largent pc this week. if i have an extra copy, i'll send it your way

john bateman - it'd be kind of fun to see what baseball, football, and hockey players had cards from every year in the 80's.

sg488 - good call

cardboard jones - the 1979 is a great looking set and i love the action shot on the largent card. sure hope you find your set.

jongudmund - yeah... the landscape thing throws things off.

jon - maybe... maybe not. his email stated he's at a point where he feels some of his player pcs are finished and he's passing along all of the duplicates. but there were some pretty low numbered cards in the care package, so maybe he just held onto his favorites.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Nice! Glad to see some vintage football on the blog for sure!!

Fuji said...

sumomenkoman - my vintage football collection is lagging for sure, but my largent pc is booming now