30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Sports Card Trifecta #33: Dwight Gooden

Free time is being divvied up between writing, reading, eating, walking, watching the telly, listening to music, watering the garden, and sleeping.

So just a heads up... creative content for this blog may be a little subpar until things settle down around here.

          
1985 Topps #620
1985 OPC #41
1985 Fleer #82

     
1985 Donruss #190
1985 Donruss Box Bottom #PC1

Today marks the 35th anniversary of Dwight Gooden becoming the youngest player to win 20 games in a season.  I jumped on the Dr. K bandwagon early and rooted for him throughout his tenure with the New York Mets... especially during the first few years of his career.

     
1983 TCMA Lynchburg Mets #10

Every morning
I'd sit down at the dining room table with the sports section and if he pitched the night before, the Mets boxscore would be one of the first games I'd look for right behind the A's and Giants games.

     
1985 Topps PSA/DNA Authenticated Auto #620
1985 Leaf PSA/DNA Authenticated Auto #234

It's pretty impressive to see what he accomplished at such a young age.  Before he turned twenty-one, he had won the NL ROY Award, a Cy Young Award, won forty-one games, struck out 544 batters, and was a two-time MLB all-star.

1986 Topps #202

It's just a shame that he didn't end up having the hall of fame career that many of us had predicted back in the mid 80's, when he was arguably the best pitcher in the game1985 was his finest season statistically as he became the 21st pitcher in MLB history to capture the Pitcher Triple Crown by leading the National League in wins, strikeouts, earned run average.  Actually... he led the MLB in all three categories along with WAR.

I thought I'd honor Gooden today and make him the 21st addition to my baseball Sports Card Trifecta collection...


Rookie Card1984 Topps Traded #42T


I'm not exactly sure why I haven't shown off this trifecta before, since I own numerous rookie cards and a handful of autographs and memorabilia cards.  If I had to guess, I'd say that I was waiting to land his 1984 Fleer Update card and use it as the rookie card.

After checking the current market rate on a graded copies, I'm going to assume that ship has sailed.


Memorabilia Card2005 SP Legendary Cuts Legendary Lineage #LE-DG


Nothing too glamorous about this memorabilia card, but at least it doesn't feature a plain white swatch of jersey.


Autographed Card2016 Topps Archives Fan Favorites Autographs #FFA-DG


I've shown this card off on the blog beforeAs a huge fan of Topps Archives Fan Favorites autographs, I'm always looking forward to picking up as many affordable singles as I can, but there are always a handful that I really want.  That year the checklist was loaded, but Gooden was the autograph that sat atop the wantlist.  It took me about a year to track down a copy that fit the price range I set.

Well that's it for today.  Here is today's question of the day...

Who was your favorite pitcher(s) back in the 80's?

It's hard to pick just one.  Gooden is definitely one of them.  But I also really liked Fernando Valenzuela, Dave Stieb, and Dave Stewart.

Oh... and in case you're wondering who held the previous record of being the youngest MLB pitcher to win 20 games.  The answer is... 

1998 UD Retro Sign of the Times #BF

Feller might not hold that MLB record anymore, but he still shares the record of most one-hitters thrown with Nolan Ryan.  And his The Heater from Van Meter nickname is every bit as cool as Dr. K or The Ryan Express.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

27 comments:

Shlabotnik Report said...

As a Mets fan, it should surprise nobody that Dwight Gooden is my favorite 80s pitcher... although you've got a better Dr. K collection than I do!

Elliptical Man said...

Gooden had the talent, but his early workload combined with his drug problems really ruined things.

Steve Carlton and Tug McGraw.

The Diamond King said...

I love Gooden and actively collect any of his rookies I can find, even duplicates!! My collection pales in comparison to this stuff though!!

gcrl said...

I liked the four you mentioned, plus orel hershiser, don sutton, and roger clemens. My 84 fleer update gooden is in my dodger stadium collection and probably wouldn't grade above a 7

The Lost Collector said...

Definitely Rags! As a kid I always liked his name.

Jeremya1um said...

I wasn’t old enough to follow baseball in the ‘80’s, but I would say Orel Hershiser. He came to popularity in ‘88, and also had a 2.03 ERA and a 19-3 record in 1985, so he had some good years in the ‘80s, and was probably more well known in the ‘90’s because of it.
I love your Gooden collection. He’s one autograph and rookie card I would love to obtain. I’m not 100% sure, but I think I have a jersey card of him. Love the trifecta idea. It’s something I try to do with my favorite players (as well as a refractor).

night owl said...

1. Orel Hershiser
2. Fernando
3. Jerry Reuss
4. Bob Welch
5. (tie) Don Sutton/Rick Honeycutt

I'm faithful to my team.

Brett Alan said...

Another Mets fan here, as you know, and I loved Doc back in the day. Sadly I really don't have that much of a collection of him, and technically I have none of the trifecta, although I do have a non-certified auto, which I was lucky enough to obtain in person a few years ago. He did a signing at a local supermarket, believe it or not. Was a big thrill to meet him. As the radio jingle during Mets games used to go: "Doctor K, all the way...Let's Go Mets!"

Sean said...

I wasn't a Mets fan, but Gooden was the first pitcher I remember knowing by name (I was 8 years old during his rookie season) and he was also one of the first players whose card I actively sought out (I remember during the summer of 1987 buying his fleer card for a dime from a kid during lunchtime in the school cafeteria and thinking it was the most amazing thing I had ever purchased).

I love that 1985 Donruss box bottom card, the photo is so awesome, way better than his regular rookie card.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I had never seen that Doc wax box bottom card.

bbcardz said...

I'm with Night Owl on this one but with Fernando being #1.

Jongudmund said...

Very cool trifecta (as you'd promised).

Favourite 80s pitcher has to be Rollie Fingers and his amazing moustache.

NPB Card Guy said...

As a Red Sox fan my favorite 80's pitcher at the time was Roger Clemens.

Gooden was the first MLB player I was aware of who was younger than me (although Jose Rijo was the first MLB player younger than me to actually debut).

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Key, Dave Steib & Jack Morris
Gooden had an amazing start to his career. Looking back it's disappointing that his career didn't continue on that level or even close to it.
I remember during that era that it seemed that it was the Mets that had all the hot rookies (and rookie cards) - Strawberry, Gooden, Jefferies, Magadan, Elster, Mitchell.

Matt said...

Roger Clemens. He's probably the reason I'm a baseball/Red Sox fan.

Nick Vossbrink said...

The perennially underrated Rick Reuschel.

Bo said...

That box bottom card is awesome. As a Yankee fan in the late 80s there wasn't much pitching to enjoy. My first game in person was a shutout by Charlie Hudson in 1987. I guess he was my first favorite, though he didn't do much after that. Pascual Perez in 1990 was the first pitcher I consciously made an effort to watch his games, because his antics were fun to watch.

gregory said...

Great addition to the trifecta collection! Growing up in lower New York in the 1980s, I was a big fan of Gooden too. Such a phenom. That '84 Traded card is one of my favorites.

Aside from Gooden, I was a fan of Nolan Ryan and Sid Fernandez back then.

Jeff Laws said...

Believe it or not (I have posted about it before), I was a Mets fan when I was a kid. I've debated for years on starting a Gooden and Strawberry collection as they were my favorite players back then. The whole drug thing left a sour taste in my mouth that I guess I've never gotten over.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Oh what lovely baseball cards. So great to see them. Gooden was probably my favorite pitcher back then as I was largely a Mets fan. We took some trips to NY to see Yankees and Mets games but I'm unsure if I ever saw him pitch.

SumoMenkoMan said...

There were a lot of iconic pitchers from the 1980s, but I’d still have to say Nolan Ryan for sure.

CinciCuse Bill said...

Great post! As a Reds homer, my fav pitcher in the 80s was Mario Soto. Doc was right up there though. Peace!

Brett Alan said...

Just want to add--if you consider the 1985 Topps to be a rookie, rather than only the 1984, then I have one of the trifecta. Sometimes it's very hard to decide what does and doesn't count!

Troublewiththecurve.net said...

Great Doc collection. I remember standing in line as a 6 year old in 1983 to see him pitch for the Tidewater Tides (Mets AAA team). The place was insane. Then he came back a few years later for a rehab start. Again, the place was out of control. That 1985 Donruss box bottom was an epic card. Gooden was certainly a "Top 5" pitcher for me but as an 80's kid, it was hard not to get caught up in "Fernando-mania."

Fuji said...

shlabotnik report - i went back and forth on collecting him for years. these days i'll grab his cards if they're cheap

elliptical man - yeah. the whole drug thing definitely impacted his career. i'm a big fan of lefty and tug too

the diamond king - i remember the days of putting a gooden rookie card in screwdowns. those were the days. i'll still buy them if i find them for a buck or less

gcrl - i'm not a huge clemens guy, but the way he dominated batters was incredible. i think had he stayed with the red sox, i would have actively collected him.

the lost collector - nice call on rags. he's a bay area fan favorite

jeremya1um - the good news is you can find a gooden autograph for around 10 bucks and his rookie cards for a couple of bucks. i think i'm down on orel, because he dominated the a's in the 88 world series

night owl - lol. are you insinuating that i'm not loyal to my a's? i'll always be faithful to them, but i enjoy watching way too many other guys to only root for them. that being said... i wouldn't root for stieb if he pitched against the a's... or fernando when he pitched against the padres. just when they pitched against the rest of the league

brett alan - wow. had no idea there were so many mets fans. an autograph you obtained in person is 10x cooler than a pack pulled certified autograph. as for the rookie debate, i'm old school. the 1985 topps would be his official rookie card and his 1984 topps traded is his xrc. but that's just my opinion

sean - fleer was hard to get a hold of back in 1987, so a dime for a gooden was a pretty solid purchase. and i agree about the box bottom. it's one of my favorite cards of doc

johnnys trading spot - it's a great card and very affordable. the problem is finding one in good condition

bbcardz - big fan of fernando too

jongudmund - nice call on fingers. probably should add him to my list. my childhood buddy is finger's nephew

npb card guy - that's funny that you mention who was the first mlb player younger than you to play. i thought about writing a post about that. but pat watkins isn't exactly a household name

anonymous - yeah... those mets teams were loaded. i stocked up on elster, magadan, and jefferies at one point or another.

matt - clemens was the king. i felt like you had to pick one or the other and i sided with gooden

nick vossbrink - forgot that he played with the giants. no krukow or hammaker?

bo - when it comes to 80's yankees pitchers, only 3 come to mind: rags, john, and guidry

gregory - the mets sure had an awesome rotation. i was actually more into ron darling

jeff laws - yeah, i understand how drugs could turn a collector off.

peter k. steinberg - that's pretty cool that you got to see mets games at shea and the yankees play at yankee stadium.

sumomenkoman - i probably would have rooted for ryan more if i could afford him as a kid. his cards were always some of the most expensive in every set

cincicuse bill - definitely remember soto back in the day. he might be the only 80's reds pitcher i can name

troublewiththecurve.net - that's awesome that you had the opportunity to see gooden pitch when he was in the minors. as for fernando, i'm a huge fan of him too

Matt said...

The docta is in da house!

Nick Vossbrink said...

Krukow and Hammaker's best years were both before my time as a fan. I also had mixed feelings on Atlee since everyone kept saying I looked like him (funny story that. https://njwv.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/atlee/ )