30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Trying to Stay Positive

These days... Saturdays feel like Mondays... which feel like Thursdays.  In other words... ever since summer started the days blend together.  This obviously has to do with the fact that I'm unemployed this summer, so I'm not really on any fixed schedule outside of writing posts for this blog.  Usually the bulk of these posts are written at least a day or two in advance.

This post is one of the exceptions.  I woke up and wanted to document this week, because mentally it's been a rough one.

It started with the news that my aunt passed away earlier in the week.  She was one of those people who was always smiling which is how I'll remember her.


My thoughts are with my uncle, cousins, and her grandchildren... along with the families of Kelly Preston, John Lewis, Naya Rivera, and Grant Imahara as well.  I told you.  It's been a rough week.

On Thursday, the superintendent announced her plan for the upcoming school year, which the school board voted and accepted.  We'll be starting the year off with distance learning at least through December.  Based on her community, student, and faculty surveys... along with the people in the virtual meeting, I think most supported her decision.

As a teacher who enjoys the everyday interaction with students, this is not the ideal situation, but it's the intelligent one.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to go down and hang out with my father in Las Vegas for his birthday.  He has been self-quarantining for the past four months and although I miss him, I respect his decision to keep visitors awayHappy birthday Pops!

Next week was my annual summer trip up to Portland that had to be cancelled.  Not sure when I'll be able to get back up there to visit my nieces and best friend.  It also would have been cool to connect with Rod, Gavin, and Kerry... and talk cards.

But that's not happening either.

Until then... I'm completely content receiving care packages like the one Rod sent me.  Three weeks ago, he held another one of those Free Stuff Friday posts and this card caught my attention:

2012 Rittenhouse NCIS Costume Relic #CC17

NCIS was one of my mom's favorite television shows... and my father still enjoys watching it, so I grabbed this card for him:


I've given him a few collectibles over the years that he displays in his office.  Figured this card would look nice next to the autographed Jerry Rice card I gave him years ago.

In addition to that relic, there was another Mark Harmon card I was interested in:


I'm not sure if it's a custom that Rod or someone else produced... or a pack issued card.  Regardless this one was added to my Sports Card Smorgasbord binder with the other famous actors who have been featured on sports cards.

And here are the last two cards that I claimed:

1961 Topps Sports Cars #48

1961 Topps Sports Cars #52

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a pair of vintage Ferrari's.

Rod threw in a few bonuses as well.  Here's a new Matt Chapman for my A's collection:

2019 Heritage Clubhouse Collection Relics #CCR-MCH

Plus this very cool mini of Burnzie:

2019-20 O-Pee-Chee Caramel Mini #C-25

And rounding out the care package was this decal featuring his logo:


This was also added to the Sports Card Smorgasbord binder... in the Blogger PC section.

Thanks Rod!  As always... I appreciate your generosity.  Hope we'll be able to hang out next summer at a ballgame with Gavin and Kerry.


And thank you to all of you who stuck around today and listened to my issues.  Hopefully next week is a little brighter.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

24 comments:

P-town Tom said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt. My condolences.
My school district has not made a decision yet and many of us are getting very anxious. My fall coaching duties start on July 27th, which is right around the corner.
I completely agree with this statement, "As a teacher who enjoys the everyday interaction with students, this is not the ideal situation, but it's the intelligent one." I hope my school district makes the smart choice.
Hang in there, Fuji!

Sooz said...

Sorry for your loss. I know times are tough right no . Hang in ther .

Shlabotnik Report said...

Very sorry to hear about your aunt. I know her smile will always stay with you.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm working 40 hour weeks and I still need desk calendars to keep track of the days.

Love those Ferraris! I was intending to make a push towards completing that 1961 Topps Sports Cars set this year, but my plans largely involved a dealer I met at a show who was going to bring a number of those to the next show... and I don't have to tell you that show didn't happen.

Dennis said...

Sorry about your aunt. I was saddened by those celebrity deaths too. That blogger meetup in Portland would have been awesome too, but things are even crazier up there right now than they were before.

Happy birthday to Papa Fuji, and great stuff from Rod!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Oh dang, sorry to hear about your Aunt. Condolences and you definitely are in my thoughts this week. Happy birthday to the big Fuji.

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Condolences to you and your family.

Big Tone said...

Sorry about your aunt , Fuji. My aunt,2 of my uncles and one of my favorite cousins all passed away this past year and while I miss them dearly I'm 100% sure they are in a better place. Hang in there,man.

shoeboxlegends said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt. Sounds like your school made an intelligent choice about the upcoming year. My wife is an English teacher and I'm anxiously awaiting word (as is she) as to what her school's plans are for the fall. Crazy times we're living through here, but there are brighter days ahead!

Brett Alan said...

Sorry for your loss. I know what you mean about wanting to be in the classroom. I miss working directly with students, too...but that doesn't mean I'm going to actually do it anytime soon!

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

That’s good you’ve got those positive memories of your aunt, sorry to read about her passing. I can’t wait for the vaccine like everyone but until then at least you’re staying safe and your district’s making smart choices.

bbcardz said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your aunt. Rough week indeed. At least your school district is putting health and safety first.

Jim from Downingtown said...

To paraphrase Dr. No:

"Monday, Saturday... they're just points on a calendar."


Sorry for your loss.

Billy Kingsley said...

Sorry for your loss

Matt said...

Sorry for your loss

I am curious what they will do here for school. Not many have spoken on it and school is around the corner

acrackedbat said...

Fuji, I'm sorry to hear you've lost another loved one. Many of us struggle these days to keep a positive outlook without personal loss. A little something going in the mail tomorrow for you. Hope it brings a smile or two. (((you)))

Adam Kaningher said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Jeff Laws said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Our school gave us the option of whether we send them back or not. We are choosing to keep my son home after seeing the graduation ceremony not taking safety very serious. He'll have to log in at certain times and will be a part of the classroom virtually so it'll be better than the e-learning at the end of last year. If they don't have a major outbreak in the first 9 weeks than maybe we'll consider sending him back for the next 9 weeks.

Bo said...

I'm sorry for our loss. Waiting on school decisions here in New York. Hoping they do the intelligent thing like your school . . .

Commishbob said...

mark, sorry to hear about your aunt's passing. I've lost two aunts in the last year, the last of my parents' siblings.

Schools (at least elemenatry schools), are a sea of germs in the best of times. Hard to imagine many districts starting the year with in-person teaching. Not to mention how many grandparents are caretakers of young kids, at least at many schools I'm familiar with. They'd really be at risk.

The Lost Collector said...

Sorry for your loss, Fuji.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Condolences my friend.

Sascards67 said...

My condolences for your loss. It's been a rough weekend for a lot of us with the passing of John Lewis and the others you mentioned but having a personal loss is very difficult.

Sean said...

I'm so sorry about your aunt. I also really sympathize about not being able to go give your dad a hug at this moment. I am struggling with the same problem, my parents really need me to be spending some time with them to help get over the loss of my sister, but this pandemic has made it impossible.

On a lighter note, those Ferrari cards are fantastic, I've never seen that set before but they look great.

Fuji said...

Thank you to everyone for their kind words. This week has been much better and way more productive.

p-town tom - hope they come to a decision soon. not sure about high school, but there won't be any fall sports at our middle school this year :( have a great year regardless.

sooz - thank you for the kind words

shlabotnikreport - there's a part of me that really misses the 40 hour work weeks. but i'm sure i'll regret saying that in a month when i'm 100% back into the swing of things. hopefully we'll get to the point in 2021 when it's safe again to return to card shows and you can complete that set :D

dennis - i know. my friend told me that the feds were putting people into vans and driving off. that's crazy

sumomenkoman - thanks buddy

wax pack wonders - thank you jeff

big tone - sorry to hear that. thoughts are with you and your family

shoeboxlegends - i hope those brighter days arrive soon. best of luck to your wife on a positive 2020-21 school year

brett alan - yeah. not until everyone starts taking things more seriously... or a vaccine is created.

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - yeah, i'm happy that the superintendent and the school board are on the same page as most parents and teachers. i think it was the "intelligent" call

bbcardz - thanks. this week has been better though

jim from downingtown - wise words. thank you.

billy kingsley - thanks

sport card collectors - thanks. i'm sure they'll announce things soon. teachers, administration, secretaries, custodians, and other faculty need time to plan. plus i'm sure parents and students would like to know what they'll be up against

acrackedbat - as we get older, it's going to happen more frequently. most of my aunts and uncles are getting up there in age... and my father is in his upper 80's. but he's hanging in there like a ninja

adam kaningher - thanks

jeff laws - that sounds like a solid plan. it'll be interesting to see if the kids who do show up at school will be able to social distance. hopefully things go smoothly and you'll be able to send your son back in 9 weeks.

bo - hope they decide soon... for everyone's benefit.

commishbob - yeah, i think that's the thing some people forget. there are a ton of grandparents who live in the same household in our area. plus i know several teachers who take care of their parents. i'd be super stressed out if my father was living with me and i was asked to go back into the classroom

the lost collector - thank you aj

johnnys trading spot - thank you johnny

sascards67 - thanks. loved your john lewis post.

sean - sorry to hear about the loss of your sister and not being able to spend time with your parents. hope they find a vaccine soon and you're able to catch up and spend some quality time with them. as for the set, singles are very reasonable. if you like classic cards, you should check them out over on sites like comc