30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, July 20, 2020

Amazed and Confused

Last week kinda sucked, but it didn't totally suck.  There were a few bright spots... including the addition of this very cool sumo card to my collection:

1977 Sportscaster #03-08

I'm not sure about you, but 70's Sportscasters always bring a smile to my face.


Bob (The Best Bubble) sent this one to me with a bunch of interesting cards... including a huge stack of 2017 Stadium Club cards:



At first I was a little confused, but then I remembered that once upon a time... I was attempting to build this set.  I had completely forgotten about this set build, but his care package motivated me to track down the 140 cards I had sitting in a random 5000ct. box.


The twenty-four cards he sent pushed me over the 50% mark.  This is one of those sets that might take a few years to complete unless I can find someone with a nice lot on eBay for a reasonable price

In addition to helping me with my set build, he also included three new autographs for my Oakland A's collection:

1996 Signature Rookies Old Judge T-96 Mini Signatures #4
1996 Signature Rookies Old Judge T-96 Mini Signatures #22
1994 Signature Rookies Autographs #48

I'm not familiar with any of these guys... but I know these two:

1988 Classic Update Red Travel #NNO

The Bash Brothers ruled the Bay Area towards the end of the 80's and will forever be welcomed in my collection.  It's just a shame that they'll be remembered more for their beef than their brotherhood.


By the way... if this card above looks familiar, it's because the 1987 Donruss Highlights set featured a very similar card.

Here are some more highlights from Bob's care package:


The Jenny McCarthy inspired me to track down the other celebrities in the 2005-06 Topps 1952 Style set and pick them up on Sportlots.  Not sure you guys would be interested in seeing those, but if I run out of writing material, maybe I'll show them off one day.

Thank you Bob for the generous care package.  It definitely helped cheer me up when I was feeling down.

By the way... since I'm going to focus on the positive this week, I thought I'd show off this recent eBay purchase:

2002 Fleer Fall Classic HOF Plaque #1

This insert of The Sultan of Swat was the final card I needed for my set:


I had planned on writing a review of this set, but the cards don't scan very well... so I figured I'd review something else instead.  I'll keep you posted.

By the way, yesterday was the 60th Anniversary of Juan Marichal's MLB debutTomorrow's post covers him and a few other MLB debuts that caught my attention.  Stay tuned.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

16 comments:

The Diamond King said...

I like that Pujols Stadium Club. I am of the same mind as you, I would like to grab that complete set, but it would take me forever!

The Angels In Order said...

Great stuff, especially the Sportscaster card. Love those!

Elliptical Man said...

That's a nice action shot of Maddux.

Singled Out was fun. Never really cared about The View or The Masked Singer.

The Snorting Bull said...

1. There are actually some decent names in that Old Judge Rookie Signatures set. I believe it's the only place where you can find a Jason Isringhausen certified autograph.

2. I believe Jim Bowie was born in Japan. I read an article about him awhile ago in some old college baseball program.

3. I love that Dave Duncan card. That was one of the first older cards in my collection. I think I got it in the mid 80s, I just wanted an old card for the sake of owning an old card. My dad bought me that card for like 50 cents.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Sportscasters are always fun. I should pick up a few more.

Commishbob said...

I enjoy the few Sportscaster cards I have. That bunch covers a lot of ground. My only complaint is that they are hard to binder.

I laughed when I read that you had a set build you forgot about. I did the same with a couple of sets. One was the 1960 Leaf. That one made me regret that I remembered it! '-)

Big Tone said...

Nothing wrong with a little sibling rivalry. Love the Bash Brothers!

night owl said...

Sportscasters were the best. My brother subscribed to some sort of wildlife card set through a magazine back then and they arrived in the same format as the sportscasters cards, so either one mimicked the other or they came from the same company.

shoeboxlegends said...

I think I've got the Jay-Z 1952 style card kicking around here somewhere, would be happy to PWE it to you if you need a copy!

Sean said...

NIce additions, I like seeing a sumo card at the top of a post :)

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

Also really like Sportscasters I only have one as a sample but still very cool. Lot of great variety like Sumo!

Spyda-Man said...

Ah Jenny McCarthy! I have her Topps rookie card somewhere in my collection.

SumoMenkoMan said...

You had me at sumo! Nice card!

Matt said...

Hadn’t seen the HOF plaque cards before. Very cool!

Fuji said...

the diamond king - another blogger just made another large dent in this set. i'm now over the 70% mark.

the angels in order - i love sportscasters. sure wish my mom would have signed me up for those when i was a kid.

elliptical man - i honestly don't remember watching any shows with her. she's always just been an attractive woman who has been on my radar

the snorting bull - interesting tidbit on isringhausen. he had a run with the a's for a few years. the old judge autographs are pretty nice. maybe i'll see if comc has a cheap copy. duncan was our pitching coach for years. he on a few of the a's mother's cookies cards from the 80's and 90's

nick vossbrink - me too. i think this is only my 2nd or 3rd that i own

commishbob - if i hadn't received these cards, the set would have been buried forever. but i'm on a roll now. another blogger just sent me a bunch more. stay tuned

big tone - me too. a lot of good memories of them hitting home runs back in the day

night owl - i think i remember those wildlife cards too. i'm pretty sure i begged my mom to sign me up for those as well

shoeboxlegends - thanks for the offer. just grabbed a copy off of sportlots along with the other non-sports cards in that set

sean - that card definitely stood out in the package ;D

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - i think this is only my 2nd... maybe 3rd sportscaster. i know i have one of rod carew. for years i wanted one of arnold palmer for my dad. not sure i ever bought one though.

spyda-man - topps created a few different cards of her in 2005-06. been collect all of them along with brinkley, jay-z, etc.

sumomenkoman - you've gotta have this card, right?

sport card collectors - they're pretty cool. embossed and serial numbered to the year of their induction. the only problem is that it's hard to see the faces on the plaque.

Troublewiththecurve.net said...

Oh man that 1988 Classic brings back memories. I had the Red set as well. Got it for Christmas and I remember opening it at my Granny's house. I think I may have had the Green set as well. Over the years they were broken up for whatever reason and now I have no idea where they want. I too ran out of steam on the 2017 Stadium Club set. I'm maybe 70% of the way through with it but over the years forgot all about it. I really need to get more organized with my collection. When it comes to the sets, I literally have no idea what I have vs what I don't have anymore. Having a four year son makes it difficult to break the cards out and not have a nervous breakdown.