30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Frozen Tamales and El Toro

Cinco de Mayo is a huge here in San Jose.  I'm not sure what the turnout will be for this year's downtown celebration... but it's normally a pretty big holiday for us.

It's one of the few days I actually consume an adult beverage with friends, while feasting on some carne asada burritos, shrimp fajitas, or street tacos.  This year we won't be meeting up at Mexico Lindo due to the current shelter-in-place orders, but that doesn't mean I won't be celebrating in my own way.

1981 Los Angeles Dodgers Police #34

I'll be reheating some frozen tamales that my former student's mom made for me and sharing a few cards of my favorite Mexican baseball playerFernando Valenzuela.

1981 Fleer #140

1981 was a big year for me and Fernando.  I started collecting baseball cards and he started making a name for himself among baseball fans around the world.  Dodgers fans had already gotten a taste of him in 1980 when he made 10 appearances, pitched 17 2/3 innings, allowed zero earned runs, struck out 17 batters, while only walking four.

1981 Topps Traded #850

The next season, he received the honor of starting on Opening Day after Jerry Reuss suffered a leg injury.  He'd pitch a 5 hit complete game shutout against the Houston Astros that day... then go on to have an incredible run that lasted until May 14th, 1981.

2013 Sport Kings Memorabilia

During that time span, he started and won 8 games (7 of them complete games), pitched 5 shutouts, struck out 68 batters, while only allowing 4 earned runs and walking 17.

1983 Donruss #1

He even held his own in the batter's box by hitting .360 in that time span.

2002 Stadium Club World Champions Relics #WC-FV

Fernandomania was born.

1988 Fleer Baseball MVP #40

That year... he became the first and only pitcher to win both the Rookie of the Year Award and Cy Young Award in the same year.  In addition to those trophies, he also took home The Sporting News' Major League Player of the Year and National League Pitcher of the Year Awards.

2005 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures #FV

And to top things off, he helped the Los Angeles Dodgers win their 5th World Series Championship.

2014 Tek Autographs #HT-FV

I wasn't a Dodgers fan, but I couldn't help but root for the chubby faced lefty every time he pitched that season.  I can still picture that unique windup where he'd look up to the baseball gods right before throwing each pitch.

Okay your turn...

Were you a fan of Fernando?

And...

What's your favorite Mexican dish or beverage?

Happy Cinco de Mayo and sayonara!

21 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

I do like Fernando, and wish he would have stayed longer with the Angels. I love me some chicken enchiladas.

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

I think Fernando was an Oriole when I was a kid and started following baseball so I missed out. But I think I would have loved Fernandomania.

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Oh and nothing beats a good chicken taco, taco salad, or just a good plate of nachos.

acrackedbat said...

I never watched him play, and honestly, don't have an opinion one way or another. I do however, have an opinion on Mexican food! Beef or shrimp fajitas, enchiladas, salsa, jalapenos, Dos Equis lager...

night owl said...

Was I fan of Fernando? I'd say who wasn't, but I guess the comments are proving that wrong. You had to be there in 1980 and 1981. It would make you a life-long fan.

I was going to do a Fernando Cinco de Mayo post, but I had to go back to work today so thanks for filling in ;)

The Diamond King said...

I wasn't a Fernando fan per se, but he always intrigued me. So cool and unique. As for my favorite Mexican dish, I have no idea what it was called, but...

About 10 years ago, I was in southern Texas on business. The group that I was working with were almost all either first or second generation in the states. For lunch one day they held a potluck and all brought the best Mexican food I have ever tasted. Very authentic, not like the Mexican food in Washington State. They told me all about it, but I can't remember any names. All I remember is mmmmmmmmmmmm good!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Yes, always liked/collected Fernando. I love me some spicy burritos (I have a freezer full).

sg488 said...

Loved Fernando,steak tacos/Coronas.

Nick said...

1) Fernando rules!

2) I used to be the cliche American and would always get burritos at Mexican restaurants (yes, I know they were actually invented in America) but I've really come around on tortas lately. Hard to beat a good steak torta.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Heck I'm a Giants fan and I like Fernando. Favorite Mexican dish? Probably mole poblano.

The Lost Collector said...

I don’t care one way or another on Fernando.

Love enchiladas! And Modelo Especial.

Chris said...

That Sweet Spot auto is fantastic! I was born in 1980, so I missed Fernandomania - but I would have been swept up in it for sure. I just watched the end of his gem in Game 3 of the '81 World Series - he was really durable for a young pitcher.

I don't have a favorite Mexican dish but I would have liked to have had a festive dinner for Cinco de Mayo today. Maybe next year :/

gcrl said...

I was a fan for sure! Just watched a bit of his nohitter tonight on mlb network.

For me, there is nothing like a simple carne asada soft taco, but I enjoy pretty much any Mexican food.

RunForeKelloggs said...

1981 - what a great year to start collecting cards. I saw that Fernando's no-hitter was on television yesterday. I remember that there were two no-hitters that day. Dave Stewart had the other one. Why do I remember that so well? There were 13 games that day and I was at the Seattle Kingdome following things on the scoreboard.

GCA said...

I remember Fernandomania vividly, and was a fan. My three teams back then were the Orioles, Dodgers and Cardinals.

There's a good Mexican/Salvadorian place that is in our regular rotation for lunch. Have to edit things out like onions and most of the tomatoes, but I can find several good meals there.

Comatoad said...

I used to love how he'd look up into the sky just before releasing his pitch. It was one of those pitcher idiosynchrasys that we would mimic. He was also a Padre from 95-97, and had a decent season in 96, at 13–8 with a 3.62 ERA.

bbcardz said...

I was around in '80 & '81. Fernandomania was glorious, especially with Vin Scully announcing his games. And then something like eight or nine years ago, the gf and I went to a Dodger game. As we're making our way up to our seats, we roamed around the club level (pressbox level) and saw Fernando on the concourse. Of course, I had to get a picture with him and I did. Good times!

Fuji said...

the angels in order - i didn't even realize that he played for the angels. the only other team i can picture him with is the padres. i enjoy chicken enchiladas too. but i like beef better ;)

jeff b - you're right. he did play for the orioles. i honestly could live (and probably die quickly) living on nachos with lots of jalapenos

acrackedbat - i love all of the food items you listed. not a fan of dos equis... so i'd substitute it with an aqua fresca

night owl - he was all over baseball news (at least here in cali), so i'm guessing some of these people weren't born yet. and no problemo. looking forward to reading a fernando post by you sometime in the future

the diamond king - sounds like an amazing lunch. i'm not sure how authentic it is, but i've received homemade tamales, enchiladas, burritos, and this sweet milk rice dish over the years. all of them were delicious, but i wasn't a big fan of the milk rice thing

johnnys trading spot - frozen spicy burritos sound awesome. i might need to grab some on my next trip to the grocery store

sg488 - i have a 6 pack of corona sitting in my fridge for visitors.

nick - i haven't had a torta in years, but they're delicious.

nick vossbrink - fernandomania swept through the entire state. i remember even bay area people were excited about him. i don't think i've ever tried mole poblano. i'll have to keep that in mind

the lost collector - you wrapped up the trifecta of beers. julie has her doe equis. sg488 likes corona. and you have your modelo especial.

chris - i think the sweet spot was my first fernando autograph i ever owned. he's signed a little for topps lately, but there was a time when tracking down a pack pulled signature of his was tough.

gcrl - i'm a big carne asada fan. soft tacos, burritos, tortas. you name it... i'll eat it. btw... i'm super jealous you get to watch mlb network. maybe one day... i'll open up the wallet and sign up for it

runforekelloggs - i totally remember stew's no-hitter... and vaguely remember that they pitched them on the same day. that's a really cool baseball memory you have. did you keep the ticket stub?

gca - looks like he played for all 3 of your teams. i could honestly eat mexican food 5x a week and be a happy camper

comatoad - yeah... i'm pretty sure i mimicked him too. it's a bummer he couldn't have thrown a no-hitter for the padres ;)

bbcardz - wow. now that sounds like a great memory at dodger stadium. i wonder if he attends a lot of games there.

The Snorting Bull said...

I like Fernando. I actually watched his no hitter against the Cardinals with my grandfather while I was in middle school. He was also briefly a Cardinal at the very end of his career, which a lot of people seem to forget.

Not a Mexican food person.

arpsmith said...

Not a fan at all, he pitched for the DODGERS!

Fuji said...

the snorting bull - if you ever decide to do a "10 interesting things about me" post... the i'm not a mexican food person should make that list. it's cool though. i'm like the only blogger who doesn't drink beer

arpsmith - lol. i know. but i can't stand the yankees... but still have made respect for jeter.