30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy

Three years ago, Tony over at Off Hiatus Baseball Cards created The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge.  It took me over eleven months to complete that challenge.  But it was one of the most enjoyable series of posts I've written for this blog.

I always hoped that Tony would come back and throw down the gauntlet again, but it never happened.  Honestly... trying to come up with thirty new challenges is like asking Topps to come up with interesting insert sets.  The bottom line is neither are easy tasks.

Then out of the blue, Tim B who runs the blog, Cardpocalypse created took a page out of Tony's notebook and created his own version of a blogosphere challenge.  It's called the 7 Day Trading Card Challenge and I'm super stoked to participate.

Now I should preface things by stating that there's no way I'll be able to complete this challenge in seven days.  Like I mentioned earlier... it took me eleven months (342 days to be exact) to complete the other challenge.  I'm hoping to average one post a week, which means this one should take me less than 50 days to complete.

Easy peasylemon squeezy.

So let's get things started and check out Tim's very first challenge, which is to write about your favorite card acquired during the quarantine.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.


The 2002 Topps American Pie First Pitch Seat Relic of the 40th President has been sitting atop my most wanted card list for years.  Unfortunately... it'll have to continue to sit there.

But for the time being, I have this card to stare at:

2004 Topps Presidential First Pitch Seat Relic #FPR-RR

Due to things like sales tax and less eBay Buck offers, I've cut back on purchasing cards.  Then two weeks ago, I kicked off a mini shopping spree with the purchase of this card.  I won it in an eBay auction for $11.65 (+ $3.75 shipping and $1.08 tax).  Isn't it awesome?


Both of my parents were huge supporters of the Reagan administration.  So when I discovered that Topps created presidential relic cards like this one back in the 2000's, I was pretty stoked.


This card commemorates President Reagan throwing out the first pitch at Wrigley Field on 9/30/88 when the Chicago Cubs hosted the Pittsburgh Pirates.

It supposedly contains a piece of seat from Wrigley Field.  Whether or not that's true, these relics were pretty tough pulls.  They were inserted into Series 2 packs of 2004 Topps baseball at a rate of one in every five hundred ninety-two hobby packs, which is approximately one in every sixteen hobby boxes.

Thankfully, my path was much simpler.  I just waited patiently, entered in the max amount I was willing to spend, and clicked the button on my mouse.

Easy peasylemon squeezy.

In addition to this purchase, I also bought a pair of 70's sets (actually one is not quite complete) that I'm excited to add to the collection.  I will write them about as soon as they arrive.


In the meantime, I've gotta start looking for a card from a current release with a unique photo.

Easy peasylemon squeezy.

Wrong.  This challenge is gonna be tough, since I haven't really opened or purchased too many 2020 products.  Stay tuned.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

13 comments:

Jongudmund said...

I'm in with a few other UK collectors on the new Topps 2020 Tony Gwynn card, so that may end up being my favourite card acquired during lockdown.

Jeremy said...

I would have a hard time with this challenge, too, because I have barely purchased anything this year. In fact, my cards purchases are usually few and far between right now.

Tim B. said...

Awesome selection Fuji! Thanks for participating. I can't wait to read the rest at whatever pace works for you.

gcrl said...

So I have the American pie reagan relic along with an eisenhower one. I've had them since the initial release and I'm not ready to get rid of them. If I do ever decide to part with Ronnie, I'll let you know.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Yeah that challenge is way too 2020-focused for me to do. I also haven't gotten many cards during quarantine. A bunch on my COMC pile but since they're not in hand I don't count them yet.

Matt said...

I am going to join in at some point. I have a big stack of these bat arounds to catch up on

Matt said...

That 30 Day Challenge was the reason I started up my blog!

arpsmith said...

I love that Reagan card, I have considered starting a collection of his cards and now may be the time. That was a great price!

I may go ahead and give this 7 day challenge a whirl.

Collecting Cutch said...

That's an awesome card!

SumoMenkoMan said...

I am a big fan of presidential cards and that one is pretty cool.

Fuji said...

jongudmund - i'm waiting to see ermsy's gwynn card. i might buy it if i like it.

jeremy - i've been racking my brain for the past 2 days on the 2nd challenge. nothing yet :(

tim b. - thanks for starting this challenge. it's been fun reading everyone's responses

gcrl - super jealous. it's a great looking card.

nick vossbrink - i'm waiting patiently for my comc order. hopefully we'll receive them sometime this summer

sport card collectors - i love bba's. by other bloggers giving me something to write about, it's one less thing for me to stress about

matt - that's awesome. that was such a cool challenge. i had fun flipping through my submissions while writing up this post

arpsmith - best of luck on the reagan pc. it's fun coming across new cards of him to collect. hope you join in on the 7 day card challenge. i've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses

collecting cutch - thanks. i really do love it

sumomenkoman - i love collecting presidential cards too. but reagan is by far the guy i target the most

The Snorting Bull said...

Presidential cards are always cool. This is a nice one, never seen it before.

Fuji said...

the snorting bull - it's a cool way to turn you everyday seat relic into something collectible for people interested in u.s. presidents.